Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possessed Dwarf - How do you check status/what he wants?  (Read 7658 times)

Onaxazael

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Possessed Dwarf - How do you check status/what he wants?
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:07:54 pm »

I just started playing a couple days ago, following 51ppycup for the most part. Before I could get traps and a military set up, my Blacksmith became possessed. I paused the game and went looking it up, found out what it was, and I assumed he would take over one of my workshops. He didn't, just brooded in corner of the dining room (the bedrooms were being dug out at the time.) I had no clue what he wanted and I was under the impression that the craft is random (I think I read the wiki wrong.) Needless to say, in a few minutes, he went berserk, killed my expedition leader, my carpenter, my chief medical dwarf, a child, and punched 2 war dogs to death before bleeding out. The entire time, I couldn't view the muttering that was supposed to be happening or figure out what workshop he wanted (I only have carpenters, craftdwarfs, mason, Jeweler (whatever it's called) and a mechanic's.) How do I view mutterings in the future and how do I know what workshop they want? Dwarf Therapist didn't tell me anything useful about his mood either.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Possessed Dwarf - How do you check status/what he wants?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 01:11:59 pm »

Use dwarf therapist to check mood - use tooltip over  "!" sign.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 01:12:34 pm »

Depends on the skill of the dwarf. The wiki has a list of moodable skills, so when a dwarf goes all moody, they will want a workshop related to one of the moodable skills. A blacksmith probably wanted a forge, but could have wanted another depnding on thier skills... once they have claimed a workshop, thaen its trivial to "q" the workshop and see thier needs...
This is a blank sig.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 01:35:24 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fey_mood#Possessed

gives the translation of various desires as seen in the (q) option in the workshop (s)he takes, when item not found

note that sometimes you need to adjust your settings from the manager (he assigns bones ahead of time for example, so if you got a manager order for bone crafts, you may have to remove it, if your weird one is asking for it)

In general they dont ask for anything you cant produce with some effort. However, for example, the fact that you could make glass, doesnt mean you have the industry setup ready, or that you mined metal ore doesnt mean you got metal blocks any time soon
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 02:01:09 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fey_mood#Possessed

gives the translation of various desires as seen in the (q) option in the workshop (s)he takes, when item not found

note that sometimes you need to adjust your settings from the manager (he assigns bones ahead of time for example, so if you got a manager order for bone crafts, you may have to remove it, if your weird one is asking for it)

In general they dont ask for anything you cant produce with some effort. However, for example, the fact that you could make glass, doesnt mean you have the industry setup ready, or that you mined metal ore doesnt mean you got metal blocks any time soon

Note that the above is true and useful, but wasn't your issue. Your dwarf wanted a workshop you didn't have - that's why he stood around. The best way to figure out what they want is check their skill set. It will be one of those skills, but one that is "moodable" (see description above - no moods associated with mining, for example...). If a dwarf has no moodable skills, they'll take a craftsdwarf workshop, as I understand it.

This is the best and only reason for a bowyers workshop if you have metal, for example.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 02:02:52 pm »

sorry, i didnt completely read the question
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.