Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs not equiping their equipment  (Read 885 times)

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs not equiping their equipment
« on: November 08, 2011, 11:18:17 am »

Hello all. Like the title says I've miners that won't equip their picks, a hunters ignoring crossbows, and a woodcutter that won't take up their axe. I've abandoned a few times with no result to check if this was some random bug since the first miners were able to start mining before the lava got to them. I'm using the 2011 Duck group and never had this issue before. While trying to tackle this I'm waiting for the lava to retreat so I can get the candy.

Things I checked:
All axes, crossbows, and picks are unforbidden
All have appropriate labors checked and no conflicts that I've read about
All appear to have clear path to said items

Things I've tried:
Turning labors on and off
Stockpiling items and leaving items alone
Keeping the wagon up and destroying the wagon
Turned on claim used ammunition and other death items
Draft everyone into the military with specified weapon types

Is this embark doomed? Or is there something I've not tried yet/forgot about that's worked?
Edit: Used what wood I had to build a workshop and weapon rack. Seems they'll pick up their specific weapon for combat, but immediately put it back and won't look at the others.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:34:30 am by Clutzy »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs not equiping their equipment
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:50:17 am »

I see no mention of backpacks. 

Standard embarks start with 2, and if you've ever played adventure mode you know that 2 is not enough (oh the despair of adventure mode without a backpack...) Dwarves without a backpack can not change the object to be used without dropping whatever they were previously holding-e.g. a dwarf can carry a crossbow and a ration, but to also grab that shield he'll need a backpack, or else he will have drop the ration or crossbow and then pick up the shield.

Miners ignore picks when those picks are claimed by the military. That is probably what happened to mining--you assigned the picks to the military as per your post.

Keep checking in--unless this is a really really weird bug the rest of us don't face, it can be fixed.  I've been playing for more than a year and I still get angry when my new emergency miner militia cheerfully throws their picks down and faces the enemy barehanded and unarmored.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:51:52 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:02:36 pm »

Didn't even think of the backpacks since I've never had to bother with outfitting my orginal seven before. I'll abandon and check for backpacks for this next embark.

Ah, I forgot to mention thanks to the abandons I have multiple picks(4), crossbows(5), and axes(2).

Edit: Well I added in backpacks and they were still all hurly-burly on the ground and they refused to touch them. Seeing what happens when I don't disband the wagon as I'm wondering now if it's somehow because of the exact embark area.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:22:21 pm by Clutzy »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 03:19:30 pm »

Have you assigned your miner to a military squad? Don't. Miners (and woodcutters and hunters) have a "hidden" uniform for their tools that conflicts with military uniforms.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 09:45:34 am »

Only once so far, all other times they've not been drafted. So far I've yet to have any of them pick up their friggin tools. Did another abandon without destroying the wagon and no dice, will probably try again to see if it needs to be placed further away from the open space by them.

armandhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:26:15 pm »

Hey this bug seems to have reappeared on DF2012...

My dwarfs refuse to pick up equipment to mine or cut wood...

Anyone know how to fix this??

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:32:42 pm »

You've checked the usuals?  Burrow assignments, forbidden equipment, ability to grasp lost?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"