Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Modern Warfare 3  (Read 7598 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Modern Warfare 3
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 11:12:42 pm »

From what I'm seeing on Metacritic, it's getting favorable reviews from critics and mostly negative reviews from the community. I'm guessing it's 50/50, since the people that enjoy the game are playing it instead of rating it. The largely negative response is telling, though.

Reading through the critic reviews given, it seems like everyone's saying, "Same Call of Duty" with different shades of spin. Most play it off as a good thing ("you'll know exactly what to expect"), but one or two actually say what everyone's thinking: "Why bother making another one?"

This sums it up, I think: "Modern Warfare 3 doesn't reinvent gunpowder, but sticks to the recipe of the previous games in the series. With a decent story and good multiplayer it's a game worth playing, but the lack of willingness to add improvements in gameplay show a laziness often found in a complacent game series."

Then again, I am the kind of guy who likes more slower, strategic action. Kinda sucks for people like me now that the markets main focus is "Super fast and stupid FPSs", huh?

I've found that going slow and steady in most "fast" FPS's helps you beat the crud out of all the kiddies sprinting everywhere like the world's ending. It almost makes you see why the real army does it like that.

That said, the combination of the FPS community (CAMPER!!1!) and the way FPS's are designed kind of defeat stealthy, careful gameplay. Very few games put good hiding spots and cover locations down in their level design (And the incredible small levels CoD gives us don't help much), which is disappointing. It's whoever twitches first, most of the time, but those moments when you do find those spots people tend to miss are pretty sweet.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 11:21:42 pm »

I was an average to poor black ops player, but then that might have something to do with being low level. The times that I got the most kills were when I (a) used a flamethrower in a chokepoint (doorway in a corner, etc) that enemies kept running through, or (b) sat on a roof or the like and sniped everyone that ran into sight (There were about 3 entrances into the room behind me, but nobody managed to get in behind me without me sensing them and killing them (they weren't making noise, I was just either paranoid enough to keep checking constantly, or must be force-sensitive, since I noticed and killed everyone who was trying to sneak in :P).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 11:46:21 pm »

Well, for all my talk of being a sneaky player, I was a pretty dedicated run 'n gun guy. I did it with style, swinging around with akimbo Uzis and hiding as much as I could. I'd usually sneak up behind enemy lines, and if I were careful, very few people would survive the bullet storm. One memorable moment was when I managed to sneak up behind a group of 9 enemies huddled together and trying to snipe my other team. I actually stood there for a moment, marveling, before pulling the triggers.

Good times. :)

The weapons thing wouldn't have been so stark if they'd had some sensible match making system, and/or if some guns didn't so blatantly overpower other guns. The better weapon, at most, should provide a marginal advantage in terms of accuracy and damage. I wish games would stop trying to balance realism and fun when it comes to firearms - Either do it one way or another. There's either too little difference between most weapons to make a choice more than aesthetic, or the difference is so huge that no one would ever choose the weaker one (Which is the only one the newbies get, by the way!).

It's not solely a problem of COD, but it desperately needs to be improved upon.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 12:03:33 am »

Is the CoD hate really so surprising? Consider all that the franchise has been through in the last, what, 10+ years?

It totally breathed new life into shooters around CoD 2, showing everyone a cinematic experience older FPS had only partially achieved.

It set the benchmark for quality in FPS in CoD 4.

It proved console shooters can be fun and highly profitable.

It's been spun off through two three dev houses, one of which very publicly lost the rights to the game and the other which was clearly the ugly duckling and one which just put this out.

It became so mainstream it made Halo fans look discerning and erudite.

I mean the game has history, a lot of it, that goes in every which way. I feel like MW has become an experiment to see how long you can keep a franchise going beyond its "natural" life span. And it's not exactly a pretty process to watch. TBH I'm waiting for the day when Activision pulls the plug on CoD and let's Treyarch spin off a zombie game from zombie survival mode.

It'll be interesting to see ultimately what Activision/Treyarch's response to BF3 is. Because MW3 clearly ain't it.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:14:21 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 05:25:50 am »

I just beat the story (it's all I care about since it's the ending to the great story from the first game). Nice to finally have some closure.

Mrm... well, I don't care about the multiplayer. The graphics haven't changed at all since the first game. Same old engine. At least everything runs very smoothly... unlike... say... Battlefield 3. Though it is a really old engine, so that's a bit unfair. Still, it's nice to be able to actually play the game.

Other than that, yeah. Everything's the same. Looking at all the multiplayer stuff I can see, it doesn't interest me in the least. Honestly, I can't say it enough... it's exactly the same.

Hell, I'm pretty sure there are LESS guns now. Or maybe I'm just spoiled by the Battlefield series.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 08:13:54 am »

I found the story to be long, but lackluster. It literally is just re-using the same tired stories from before, it plays like watching a clip show of your favorite tv series. Runs great, but old graphics technology now looks pretty bad on 1920 x 1080 and up. The multiplayer is just some new maps on MW2. The rambo crowd is here for the most part and the team players are on BF3.

If you feel invested in the story and need to know how it ends, go for it. If you are a lone wolf run & gun player, go for it. For anyone else, I advise to skip until it's 50% off, since it is nothing more than a $60 expansion to MW2.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 08:44:14 am »

Talking about stealthing, I love going around sneaky sneaky and get people mad and calling me dishonorable for not "fighting properly".

The main thing destroying CoD now is BF3, EA really did well on the marketing, but I'm not getting BF3 solely because of Origin's retarded EULA policy (I don't hate Origin for anything else though, but the policy is a dealbreaker)

Anyway, I kind of feel sorry for IW, but then again Activision owns it, so...

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 08:56:09 am »

the modern warfare was always about the spectacle for me. i don't play multiplayer, and probably never will. but this brought a smile on my lips.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 09:05:21 am »

No disrespect to you JustinLee or anyone else but I have to say I don't think a lot of you actually read Origin's Eula, or the plain english revision they made later. It is no different than any other major software license.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 09:31:05 am »

couldn't say better than this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbxRp6Dg_VQ

Birdy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2011, 09:49:47 am »

Honestly, I really don't know why people think this game series is SO COOL. I played it. It was boring, and dull. And the more I hear about it, the more it looks like a stupid huge slugfest.

And half the people in the same grade as me think its the best thing ever. And honestly, you should hear them. They sound like some huge faggots when they gasm about it. They even said that they didn't like Black Ops because it was (remotely) more balanced.

Edit: Then again, I am the kind of guy who likes more slower, strategic action. Kinda sucks for people like me now that the markets main focus is "Super fast and stupid FPSs", huh?

You could Always Play Arma2, It's on sale today on steam for like, 15 bucks... you cannot get a more tactical, enticing experience in a game - that is if it's played with the right people, and the ACE mod.

But yeah, I couldn't agree more, I mean... I have friends that all play Xbox (They don't game like I do) And when they go on about Call of dooties it makes me kinda annoyed that they don't know what they're missing out on with titles like Arma, Battle field, etc.

PC is just better gaming, less restrictions and more dynamic than any exbaux games could ever hope to be...  look at what they did to Crysis2.... i mean, they ruined it because they focused on consoles, other titles that used to be good (Battle field) were good until they went console...

and now, look at Call of duty, it used to be a very fun, and graphic game... now it's just this dull..... thing.... I can't even explain it...

Look at what Call of duty 1/2 brought to the table, and now look at CoD4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12 (can't remember how many they have out now... it's growing with every week)

But at least I still have ArmA... until It gets sucked into oblivion... the oblivion of shoddy consoles.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2011, 09:59:12 am »

No disrespect to you JustinLee or anyone else but I have to say I don't think a lot of you actually read Origin's Eula, or the plain english revision they made later. It is no different than any other major software license.
Fair enough, but I still don't exactly trust EA, but then again not many companies are trustworthy anyway.

Still, Origin looks forced into BF3, I would be happy if they actually implemented it like how Counter-Strike/TF2 is implemented in Steam.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 11:02:48 am »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 11:19:00 am »

because the multiplayer experience I had on the titles on pc was very bad. and the more those game become multiplayer oriented, the worse the experience will be.

as a casual gamer, I cannot follow the schedule of a proper team, so I'm relegated to those horrible public servers ridden with cheaters and 13y old rambos.

and wen I actually was in a team, the situation wasn't better either, trying to push stupid rules like 'no claymore on assault modes' and 'no scope attachment on teams' and so on because of their weird idea of what is 'competitive playing' (they played on ESL, by ESL rules)

sadly, there is no more space for casual gamers. I've a couple of hours top to play at day and between tam matching that drop you out if you miss a dlc, game ruined by cheaters, rage quitters, people running blindfolded and yelling camper and the stupid internet people in general, I can't stand unorganized multiplayer anymore.

(keep also in mind that part of the problem is that good communities are for the most part out of my timezone, for example there is that good arma community which has organized session and it's polite and genearlly awesome but they match at 3 a.m. local time)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2011, 11:19:33 am »

There's a reason why all the people who actually enjoy Modern Warfare 2, still play Modern Warfare 2.

Just sayin'.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5