Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Modern Warfare 3  (Read 7601 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Modern Warfare 3
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 05:39:53 pm »

I played a lot of COD black ops. Its an ok game, Nothing special. I don't see anything drawing me to the other games in the series, but I prolly won't completely drop black ops in the meantime.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 06:12:31 pm »

After playing black ops multiplayer for a while and getting pretty bored with it (it just wasn't that fun), I actually moved to Halo 3 for playing with friends and family and the like. (And I see no reason to get MW3, and don't intend to get BF3 either)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 06:16:27 pm »

I'm a sucker for a cheesy tom clancy esque story, so I'll probably rent this and bet the SP in an evening. (i'm going out on a limb here and guessing they haven't made the SP any longer than that).

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 06:38:46 pm »

The one good thing I heard in Giant Bomb's review of this: The story actually has a startling amount of closure for a modern game, in an age where every ending is attempted sequel bait. This is the last Modern Warfare X game there will be, at least following the Soap storyline shit that's been going on since MW1

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 06:41:32 pm »

I'm ashamed of you. Saying it is the exact same game!

I've made a dedicated list of differences.

SEE! Huge difference.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 06:43:51 pm »

CoD is CoD. If infinity ward can make money on the same product more or less, let them.
I don't think it is worth all the hype, but people seem to like it, so whatever.
I think the real shame of Cod making so much dough is that other game devs start believing it is a good temple to copy, so there is a trickle-down of games akin to best sellers.

But I think I am preaching to the choir here.
Thank you based dwarf.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 06:54:51 pm »

I liked MW2 and the franchise in general. they at least provided some single player mode instead of the loong and boring tutorial that is the battlefield campaign.

mw2 storytelling was lame, but I liked the situations and, on a lesser extent, the drama. the scene within the crashed copter was nice.

truth is, only the CoD name and rights have remained to activision:
http://www.physorg.com/news186780369.html

this, and also the bad bad habit of making dlc that makes your experience suddenly a mess if you don't have it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 07:03:57 pm »

All I can say, if that if you want two examples of how to make a FPS that lasts: Halo 3 and CS:S. The former is still the standing record for most time consumed for me; I had something like 4000 matches logged, and it was by far the most fun I've ever had in any game, simply because of the sheer potential for dicking around with friends in custom matches. I had a dedicated circle of around a dozen friends and a score of people I vaguely knew, and could find a custom lobby at pretty much any hour. I honestly am not sure how to put it into words, but Halo 3 would qualify for my top 5 favorite multiplayer games of all time, just because of how much fun I had with it.

CoD? I've forgotten everyone I ever met in that game, and I can't remember any notable games or events. CoD isn't even bad, just 'meh'. It feels arcady, in a bad way. Instead of actual depth, you get a massive, repetitive unlock system and run&gun gameplay. There is a certain type of entertainment, but it isn't long-lasting or particularly good.  Quite apart from all of that, it is easy. Half the time, I felt like I was playing against low-difficulty bots. Sure, I can go 30-2 in most games, but for almost all of them, I either need to be tryharding or in my sleep-deprived fugue state. In CoD, regardless of anything else, if I pay a tiny bit of attention and use a non-experimental/joke loadout, I can do that in practically any match that isn't massively stacked against me. Of course, given the quality of CoD matchmaking, that ends up accounting for more of my bad matches than my own stupidity, teamstack, and other factors combined in other games.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 08:18:34 pm »

I've only ever played MW2. I thought it was fun, and the single player was a bit of a laugh, but I gave up on it after I realized I had no idea what the differences between this rifle and that rifle were, when they all had the accuracy of a laser and killed people in two shots. Shooting people just got boring after a while because there was no variety, which is probably why TF2 hasn't yet.

Funny thing is though, I'm in love with Red Orchestra 2, where everyone dies in one shot and you're constantly terrified of exposing yourself. Maybe I'm just a hypocrite.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 08:37:36 pm »

I think I'll stick to Gears. At least Epic tries to do new things.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 09:14:08 pm »

I don't mind the COD franchise, but it is god-awfully over hyped. It's got ok mechanics that, if anything, is good for killing hours on brainless entertainment which really isn't the worst thing for a video game to have. It's disappointing to here MW3 doesn't add anything new though. Pardon me for asking, and this isn't meant to insult anyone's previous opinions, but is there honestly no new gameplay mechanics in this iteration? I don't really keep up with details on the series. My friend is a big fan of it, and despite not really caring for the series I usually end up getting a copy anyway just to play with him. It's too bad they never really go "on sale" though. Hell, Modern Warfare 2 is still $25 depending on where you look.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 09:31:06 pm »

I'm curious as to what's going on with the user reviews on Metacritic right now.  MW3 is getting destroyed.

You know, it also sucks that COD games never really go on SALE to the degree that battlefield games go on sale.  When BC2 went on sale for $2.50.. it was like.. INSANITY.  I bought a bunch of spare copies just for the hell of it.  I have never seen a COD sale dip under $20 bucks in the meantime.

COD4 has been down to $10 on sale, but yeah, it's not quite the same deal.

KG
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:32:52 pm by kg333 »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 10:50:14 pm »

That'd be because there's an incredible and baffling hatedom that's formed around the Modern Warfare franchise. I know they're not the best games ever but man, the amount of hate these games are getting is staggering.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 10:53:56 pm »

That'd be because there's an incredible and baffling hatedom that's formed around the Modern Warfare franchise. I know they're not the best games ever but man, the amount of hate these games are getting is staggering.

Just went and looked at the user review scores for the older games, looks like you've got it.  I'd wondered if it was some kind of organized deal from one of the chans or some such.

KG

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 11:07:18 pm »

According to Game Informer, not only are there little to no improvements in multiplayer from MW2, the multiplayer gameplay is a step backwards from what's in Black Ops (The MW3 team deliberately didn't implement the improvements that the Black Ops developers made over MW2's multiplayer gameplay).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5