Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Steam forums hacked?  (Read 3489 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Steam forums hacked?
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:03:06 am »

Having tried to look at something on the steam forums today and seen that they were still apparently down for maintainance as they were yesterday I thought to see if anything was up. http://www.techspot.com/news/46158-steam-forums-shut-down-due-to-security-breach.html Apparently the steam forums got hacked by a group advertising their game cheats.

If you use the same username/email/password for other sites you may want to change your password. In particular if they are the same as your steam username/password, although that should be protected by steams requirement to enter a code emailed to you when you try to long in from a new computer/browser.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam forums hacked?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:30:43 pm »

I Loled at the screen shots that guy has posted in the comments. :P

I was hoping to find some info on the steam forums about the skyrim pre-load.....
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 02:32:04 pm »

Well guess we know who's account got hacked.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 05:09:43 pm »

That's got to be embarrassing.

It's not a very clever way of making sure the Devs don't know about your hacking site, though.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 05:38:19 pm »

Having tried to look at something on the steam forums today and seen that they were still apparently down for maintainance as they were yesterday I thought to see if anything was up. http://www.techspot.com/news/46158-steam-forums-shut-down-due-to-security-breach.html Apparently the steam forums got hacked by a group advertising their game cheats.

If you use the same username/email/password for other sites you may want to change your password. In particular if they are the same as your steam username/password, although that should be protected by steams requirement to enter a code emailed to you when you try to long in from a new computer/browser.
Wait, are the forums directly linked to your steam account or are they separate? (You can tell I never visit it)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 05:41:42 pm »

Wait, are the forums directly linked to your steam account or are they separate? (You can tell I never visit it)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 05:41:53 pm »

They are separate, although I wouldn't be surprised if most people end up using the same password.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 05:49:39 pm »

well, from the screenshots it looks like as if only one of the admin accounts was hacked (or simply password guessed/bruteforced) as everything seems to come from the jmccaskey account

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 06:07:04 pm »

It isn't even possible to change your steam forum password right now since they have the forums locked down.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 06:27:25 pm »

Yes, the warning was more for those people who use the same username/password for many different site/services.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 07:30:20 pm »

This is one of those times where I'm very, very, very glad I use a different password for everything.

Yes, it's a massive PITA sometimes, and yes I often forget my passwords... but at least I'm not even a tiny bit worried about losing anything else because of this since the password for my steam forum account is completely unrelated to my password for anything else.

Also this explains why the damn forums have been down all day.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 07:46:50 pm »

This is one of those times where I'm very, very, very glad I use a different password for everything.

Yes, it's a massive PITA sometimes, and yes I often forget my passwords... but at least I'm not even a tiny bit worried about losing anything else because of this since the password for my steam forum account is completely unrelated to my password for anything else.

Also this explains why the damn forums have been down all day.

Ironically I tend to reuse passwords a ton, but thankfully not for the steam forums.  I use a random password that I can't remember so that I don't get tempted to login and post from work.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 12:14:24 am »

I don't think I've actually signed up for the steam forums, so I should be fine! Unless you automatically get signed up somehow.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 12:22:31 am »

Hmm... I don't actually remember what my Steam forum password was, but it had to be something I reused somewhere. :/ oh well

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 02:23:46 am »

Er, passwords are stored encrypted normally.

but hey there could easily be a break somewhere else...

If you haven't used steam in awhile there is absolutely no need to change it.
Pages: [1] 2 3