Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get a Job!  (Read 833 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Get a Job!
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:37:57 am »

Any tips, aside from what I'm doing? Am I doing it wrong?

- Go out in a suit to every store you're qualified for, ask for the Manager, hand them the CV with tiny-talk (Small talk, but shorter with laughter).
- Search online, take anything you can.

My CV is up to date and in a professional layout.
Ironically, the one time I didn't do an application in the whole professional-expectations of a CV, I got through to the last stage in the employment run for a Manager job. >_>

Why am I still unemployed?

I'm going to bring this down to small town syndrome. :(
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:39:38 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Get a Job!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:19:37 am »

It's not you. It's statistics.
Either there's no vacancies at the moment, or there's too many people applying for any one particular person to be likely chosen.
Treat this like playing on a lotery - you just have to keep on trying, and if you're not winning it's not because you did something wrong. Simply remember to keep your chances high by not giving up on sending those CVs, and visiting those stores every now and then.

That is, unless you've got a duck on your head, or maybe one of your eyes is square, or you used to work for the Ministry of Funny Walks, or there's something else about you that freaks out the employers.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 07:40:20 am »

one of your eyes is square

Does triangle count? :P

In any case, I have a new Employment Plan. I've printed out another 30 CVs, I've reworded it to a somewhat less professional manner. My intro/About me/personal/etc has a little something in it to make them chuckle, hopefully.

I've printed out an Excel Sheet to track my CVs with weekly check-ins, with a staggered formation for tri-weekly additions to the companies I check in on - which my cat promptly walked all over with wet, dirty feet. Ugh. Reprint.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:20:43 am »

How often do you talk with the manager?

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:35:15 am »

How often do you talk with the manager?

I've only recently moved into the area, but I try to ask them about it weekly. I'm restarting my campaign tomorrow.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 09:02:47 pm »

Hey! I'm trying to get a job too. Of course I'm looking for the standard after-highschool-minimum-wage-shelf-stocking type deal instead of your rather more serious search.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 09:40:18 pm »

My suggestions:

1) Try talking with your friends, family, anybody you know in the area. That's the top way to get a job.  Be open to jobs that are unrelated to your field.  I didn't particularly like the months I spent doing factory work, but it paid the bills.  The flip side is, it's easy to let inertia take over once you're hired.

2) Try rewriting your resume a little bit - rephrasing, more like - for every place you apply for. Look at the website to get a feel for the company culture, try to use key phrases from the job description, etc. 

3) If you're applying to places where you don't have an in already (and it sounds like that's the case since you just moved) try to focus on posted job descriptions.  If there's a posted job description, at least the company knows they need someone and they're willing to look at hiring someone new.

4) Have you tried temp agencies?   How useful they are varies by field, but they're another way to pay bills and get a foot in the door.

5) If you don't have strong reasons to stay in the area - and by strong, I mean "pays the bills" - then look farther afield.   
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.