Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intel's new processor = massive FPS boost  (Read 1397 times)

AUTOMATIC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Intel's new processor = massive FPS boost
« on: November 08, 2011, 05:43:41 am »

I'm just posting this to report that switching from Core 2 Quad Q9550, the best Core 2 processor, to Sandy Bridge i7 2600K, has raised FPS of my fortress from 65 to 180, almost to three times what it was. I was for quite some time thinking that switch won't bring a lot of improvement to one-thread tasks, but it will.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intel's new processor = massive FPS boost
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:32:08 am »

i7 why? Do you create 3d models or create CGI? Otherwise that was a waste.

urick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:49:33 am »

Y u jelly?
2600k also highest native freqency and best overclock.

Autobot ru OC? What RAMs u got?

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:22:54 am »

Krogmar -- the i7 is, core-for-core, the best processor out there.  That is to say, it is a better single threaded processor than any other processor, accounting for clock speed.  Add to that the fact that I think 4 GHz is the out-of-the-box simple no-mods overclock you can give to it and it's actually quite the beast.

Thanks for the info, AUTOMATIC!  Mind doing a save of your fort and uploading it to DFFD?  We can make it the "official" benchmarking fortress.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:39:45 am »

When I need extra FPS on one of my megaforts, I shut down all but one of the cores on one of my dual i7s on my workstation and overclock it extremely.

i7 why? Do you create 3d models or create CGI? Otherwise that was a waste.

unlike the i3s and i5s, i7s actually are computational cores - they don't have any video capabilities - on my workstation (with a workstation graphics core) my processors don't have to do much at all.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:49:08 pm »

I recently went with i5 procs and my starting FPS (new embark) max is typically ~800 (I tweak it down on purpose).  Yeah, I was pleased (old hardware could only get in the 200 range - at best).

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 02:45:03 pm »

I'm a little confused.

His processor is far better than mine, and I get better FPS while running a minecraft server even. What gives?

My machine has 4 gigs of RAM (3 are allocated to the server), and a 2.90 GHz dual core processor.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

YuriRuler90

• Bay Watcher
  • We will bury you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 02:45:58 pm »

I usually get about 180-200 on any of my older forts. Usually a 5x5 embark, 150+ dwarves, and Fortress Defense, so lots of stuff to track.

I have my max FPS set to 200, since if I don't it'll sometimes spiral up to like 600+ for a couple of seconds and then come back down. I invested in my i7 back when they first came out, and it was well worth the money.

AUTOMATIC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 12:01:48 am »

Sting_Auer: Quite obviously, FPS depends on what's in your fort, how large it is, how populated, how long you ran it. Some forts are faster, some are slower. I'm talking about threefold increase, not absolute value. And Minecraft server has only one thread that eats CPU, main thread, so it wouldn't have a lot of effect on DF FPS (at least the way I see it) in dual core system.

Kromgar: there are plenty of tasks today that can take full advantage of 8 processor threads. And then again single-thread performance is so good it boosted my DF FPS 3 times. I don't see how this can be waste.