Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bioware Release Screenshot of New Franchise  (Read 2107 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bioware Release Screenshot of New Franchise
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 10:28:31 am »

I liked the fact that party members have their own morals/ethics/motives and dont let you get away with everything.

I guess my problem is it felt rather artificial, well ok it was artificial, given that type of environment where most of your team mates learned to like you overtime. Especially since many main quests arn't argued against by Morrigan or Sten.

personally i found Sten to be much worse than Morrigan

Me too. I just find that Morrigan fills in the gaps of complaining that Sten doesn't touch. If Sten doesn't find what you did horrible, inspite of any advantage it gives you, then surely Morrigan will complain (assuming you arn't evil...).

my initial post here was to counter the claim of bioware's character designs being shallow/stereotypical, while you may not always like them or their personality

The problem is that they are characters with great backstory a lot of the time with lovely quirks and a natural interesting way of speaking... Unfortunately WITH wretched execution of their character.

It is a lot like Quantic Dream. They can write the greatest established relationships where characters really seem alive (Honestly why is there never a "Get back with the love of your life" option in any of their games inspite of the fact that they are always the BEST relationship in their games?). Yet they absolutely cannot pull it off within the scope of the game. Any attempt at two romantic interests fall flat and are often grotesque to the point where the game would have been better without them. Honestly Heavy Rain isn't even close to the worst...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 11:06:24 am »

I liked Dragon Age Origins.  Although I kind of feel like whoever wrote the arguments between characters liked the bad guys more.  Lots of low-hanging fruit for Morrigan et al to pluck and throw at the red haired girl.  Also Morrigan was annoying as fuck and I should've killed her when I had the chance at the end.

Anyway, Bioware game:

You live somewhere safe and nice, probably cloistered to some degree.

Bad guy show up kill everyone

You go somewhere to escape and at the end join the super secret hero organization, said place you found is destroyed

You have to go to 3-5 distinct places (In any order!  It's open-ended!) and complete their main quests

There's usually a story quest somewhere in the middle of these

There's a final story quest.

You win.

Shoes...

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 11:12:01 am »

Basing your opinion of an unreleased game entirely on one screenshot seems rather... silly, to me. I'm not a huge fan of bioware, but there's absolutely no information there.

I just started playing Dragon Age a few days ago, and I do agree that Alistair and Morrigan can be rather irritating. The constant bickering is what gets to me. At least I've got my faithful dog, Sir Wiggles. He's the most likeable member of my party.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 11:30:21 am »

Anyway, Bioware game:

You live somewhere safe and nice, probably cloistered to some degree.

Bad guy show up kill everyone

You go somewhere to escape and at the end join the super secret hero organization, said place you found is destroyed

You have to go to 3-5 distinct places (In any order!  It's open-ended!) and complete their main quests

There's usually a story quest somewhere in the middle of these

There's a final story quest.

You win.

Those first three lines, the ones that have something to do with the story and not the gameplay, thats the same story of:

Luke Skywalker, Bilbo Baggins, Frodo Bagins, Wall-E, Beowulf, Harry Potter, Dorothy in WIzard of Oz, etc.

It's called the Hero's Journey or the Monomyth and it is the oldest and most common mythological plot out there, simultaneously adopted by many culture around the world in both ancient and modern times. It resonates deeply with our sense of the cosmos among other things.

I suggest you read up on it if you think game companies are recycling the same old tired plots. You WILL see this plot over and over again for the rest of your life on this planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

(Not directed at you Cthulhu, rather at anyone who doesn't know about this yet.)
I got nothing

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 12:40:06 pm »

Basing your opinion of an unreleased game entirely on one screenshot seems rather... silly, to me. I'm not a huge fan of bioware, but there's absolutely no information there.

It is another post apoc game with Racing Cars.

It might as well be a Zombie RPG.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 12:56:56 pm »

To be fair it can't be proven that it's post apocalyptic. It looks more like a modern day Sedan/Libya sorta deal ... with heavily mofied vehicles.

Personally, I'm putting my money on a cutscene heavy rail-shooter with Bioware's patented storyline (because there is only one).
Even if the story and setting are revealed to be of top quality I'd still remain cynical, It seems you sign over all creative freedom when you join EA.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 01:34:20 pm »

Well I'm going to take the long shot and say its titled "Sim Highway" and the screenshot just shows the horrific consequences if you don't build things right!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 02:14:01 pm »

Sure we can. The graphics are good, so the gameplay probably sucks.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 02:33:34 pm »

Mission is in KOTOR 2 though.
If Mission is that Twilek that owned a Wookie due to saving him from a life debt, then Mission is in KOTOR1.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 02:53:34 pm »

Bioware fans are my favorite punching bag, so I could care less about the game, but I am glad there will be more to punch.

Let's all join the hipster bandwagon that hates on Bioware! Hating is easier then lovin'.. innit?  <- appropriate reply to above.
League of Legends
EU-west: Wash

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 03:17:22 pm »

Mission is in KOTOR 2 though.
If Mission is that Twilek that owned a Wookie due to saving him from a life debt, then Mission is in KOTOR1.

She is, and she is. She was also never a love interest and I suspect she may be underage, if there even is such a thing a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away  ???

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 03:24:35 pm »

Bioware? One storyline? It's bad? WAT?!

If you really want you can argue that every single RPG game starts with one story.

Fallout 1 - Starts in a happy vault you must save by finding a waterchip. The vault they send you to happens to be in a complete mess and you have to look elsewhere (while meeting a variety od emotionless meatshields that will happily join you).
The Hero encounters mutants with their agenda to mutate all humans in the world into the superior super mutants (who are an analogy for orcs).
Some ghouls (games analogy for the undead) are also encountered and saved/killed by the hero and the waterchip is retrieved... but wait the mutants have to be stopped!
Go and fulfill your final mission and destroy both mutant army base and their lair... whitchever you want first (so much freedom guys!).
Also you can talk the final boss into blowing himself up.

Congratulations you are winner (but cannot return to your vauly because the leader thinks being in the wastelands turned you into a psycho).

Fallout 2 - Starts in a happy village... bla bla bla GECK bla bla bla Got GECK bla bla bla Village burned to the ground by evil people bla bla bla get parts and fuel for the tanker (again freedom let's you pick what part you want to get first!).
Final destination.
Hack turrets and stay back as they cut the final boss to ribbons for you.
Congratulations. You are winner again. (but your village is still burned to the ground so you have to set off and start a new town with the few people you managed to rescue before the evil people started doing fatal experiments on them.)

As for Kotor...
It has lesbians. LESBIANS!
And your PC can be a WOMAN!
And form a party with a LESBIAN! (who already has a girlfriend but who cares since you are far away from her anyway)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 [2]