Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bioware Release Screenshot of New Franchise  (Read 2111 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Bioware Release Screenshot of New Franchise
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:18:36 am »

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/11/07/new-bioware-franchise.aspx?PageIndex=1
Not sure if this is old news for you guys, but here it is.

Personally I don't give a fuck since I believe Bioware died ages ago and this franchise doesn't seem very interesting based off the one single screenshot.

Feel free to discuss at your own pace.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Bioware Release Screenshot of New Franchise
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:55:11 am »

Bioware fans are my favorite punching bag, so I could care less about the game, but I am glad there will be more to punch.
Thank you based dwarf.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 03:17:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tell me I'm wrong.  I dare you.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 03:20:08 am »

Sorry, what's the problem with BioWare? I think they make great games (or at least I've enjoyed all of their games I've played), but they have the misfortune that their sequels are given to truly horrible knockoff companies.

Ok, I find the Know Your BioWare amusing, but in the end, if I enjoy the game I'm not too bothered if the character archtypes are reused.

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 04:06:09 am »

Spoiler: You're wrong. (click to show/hide)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 04:15:10 am »

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/11/07/new-bioware-franchise.aspx?PageIndex=1
Not sure if this is old news for you guys, but here it is.

Personally I don't give a fuck since I believe Bioware died ages ago and this franchise doesn't seem very interesting based off the one single screenshot.

Feel free to discuss at your own pace.

If all the content you have to share is a single screenshot and you don't care about the game or company making it, why even make a thread?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 05:22:06 am »

Anyhow that screenshot tells me everything I need to know. IT SUCKS!

Yes I shall make that prediction far in advance. Though given Dragon Age Origin I guess I am not really making a prediction all that out there (Ohh my goodness were the characters annoying! Honestly has a party with both Morigan and Sten on at the same time and I dare you not to be annoyed.)

Though honestly I am more concerned with what Quantic Dream is doing next... their last game REALLY shown their fatal problems with story telling. Ohh Heavy Rain...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:24:45 am by Neonivek »

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 05:31:29 am »

The blue girl from KOTOR (I've forgotten her name, been a while) wasn't a love interest. Aside from that the picture is correct.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 05:41:27 am »

Mission is in KOTOR 2 though.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 05:46:53 am »

Personally I've had a mixed bag with Bioware games. I've enjoyed every game I've played, but I can never be arsed to play it twice...Oh and I agree about the morality thing in the pic, which is why I liked that Dragon Age didn't have a karma meter. I did hate the whole linearity of things, but better than other RPG's at least...

Oh and about the characters: Leliana isn't exactly innocent, and Wrex...well yes, he's violent and a bastard, but he knows when to stop killing and when to try and build up...Kinda. At least he's now HK-47...Oh, and I oddly liked Sten. Course, everyone has an opinion...

Mission is in KOTOR 2 though.

Mission's in KOTOR 2!? I must have missed her somewhere...

EDIT: Oh, and I don't think everything in that pic applies to every character.

As for the photo, I'm guessing a post-apocalyptic setting or modern...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:52:10 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 06:17:19 am »

but he knows when to stop killing

No... he certainly does not. Assuming you played Mass Effect 1.

I oddly liked Sten

The problem is that Sten doesn't seem to understand that epic quests are not finished in a single day while at the same time being a hypocrit since he has NO objection to you doing his side quest.

The annoyance comes from his sheer objection to EVERYTHING but the most dirrect route irregardless of the benefit.

He isn't bad on his own but when you add Morrigan, and your not trying to be evil, how annoying these two can be really starts to show as they will chew you out for EVERYTHING! Did you just save a kid? Sten will criticise you for not killing it. Did you save someone's wife? Morrigan will punish you for doing the right thing (inspite of the fact that the reward, Often the entire point of doing quests, was quite substantial).

While Sten is annoyed if you decide to even think of doing side quests. Morrigan will practically scream of you think of doing ANYTHING that benefits a being other then yourself, even if your scraping off the top.

Which I guess is the problem mostly. Sten and Morrigan uttarly ignore the world around them and live in a fantasy land inside their head independent of what is going on around them and will ignore important things like food, supplies, and the entire point of even doing the quest. At least Loiraine (or whatever her name is) is intentionally being idealistic and that is her excuse and serves as the point of her character. Morrigan and Sten have no excuse and while you can see what they were going for (for example Sten is very to the point and finds wasting time with anything that isn't a dirrect solution to a problem to be a waste of time While Morrigan is self-indulged and believes that charity is for the weak as well as having weak morals at best) it comes off more that they are whiny when you realise that your action that get penelties don't even contradict their character just the idea of their character.

For example why does Sten object to alternate solutions to problems that weild greater rewards? Why does Morrigan object to mutually beneficial quests?

Now if you are going the evil route they are a lot less noticable because Sten and Morrigan are supposed to be "evil" so to speak but not really (rather they are just all for being evil) and thus they MUST be harder to keep happy for good characters because... uhhh... BALANCE everyone!

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 07:30:13 am »

Sten is from a completely different culture where everyone lives to fullfill a specific task. "Women can't be warriors." etc... and will always draw from his culture when reacting to your decisions (helping mages is out of the question since in his culture, mages are worse than slaves)

Morrigan isn't evil, she's a firm believer in 'survival of the fittest' and strives to increase her own strength before anything. She mostly objects to sidequest since they either involve:
- helping the weak who, in her opinion, are not worth helping.
- running around in circles/going out of the way from the main quest, which she objects to for obvious reasons, the darkspawn is breathing down your neck (well, it should be, if the game wasn't keeping it in stasis till the end of the game) and you're going around looking for someones kid/brother, etc
- mages, priests or templars. whom she dispises for various reasons.

so yeah, if you want to play protector of the weak and savior of the poor, going about the land helping every unfortunate soul or turning every rock in search of treasure then you definatly chose the wrong partners. Sten will disagree with you ignoring your job of stopping the darkspawn and Morrigan will hate you for wasting time and helping those who should help themselves.

I know you can harden Leliana and Alistair but I'm not sure if you can soften Sten and Morgana...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 08:30:18 am »

The problem is that Sten isn't consistant even with that. I gone through all the dialog on his tribe and it doesn't explain his behavior a lot of the time except that MAYBE Sten isn't the brightest tool in the shed.

As for Morrigan I never said she was evil. I just said she is all for being evil (as in I never could find anything evil enough that even Morrigan will go "Uhhh, maybe this is a bit far"... in fact she tends to be all for it).
-Mind you it is strongly implied that she has killed innocent people out of spite before.
--Also I was wrong there is ONE act Morrigan MAY dislike you for since it is EVIL! Unfortunately she never says anything, she just suddenly hates you. So maybe it is because you smell.

The issue is they never arrive at the "Logical conclusion" of both Morrigan and Sten's character but rather a stilted version. They never think about the situation.

and you're going around looking for someones kid/brother

Good thing they were on the way, provided invaluable information, and gave us equipment. What was that Morrigan? You HATE stuff that requires no effort to perform? That is odd given that you are all for long drawn out murders of innocents without any benefit.

If these really were out of the way and, in the end, pointless... It would make sense.

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 09:39:14 am »

well, the reward isnt always announced before you decide/they react. sure that sword is pretty good and will last you a while, but from Morrigans point of view you didn't do that quest for the sword but to help the helpless sister who was sobbing in the corner of the church. (just as an example). there are sidequests that dont invoke her nagging though. also keep in mind that, while it is an rpg game, the rpg aspects are foreign to the npcs. some things may make perfect sense for you as a player, it doesnt always translate into the story the same way. For example, the first time you encounter Zevran you have to decide what to do with him, while you may know that he'll join your party if you let him live and he'll give you a lot of valuable information, the fact is that he's an assassin sent to kill you and letting him live would normally be a big mistake on your part, hence the negative reation from a lot of your party-members if you decide to not sever his elven head from his neck...

I liked the fact that party members have their own morals/ethics/motives and dont let you get away with everything. yeah Morrigan and sten can make sidequests rather annoying when they start complaining but in the end it fits their character and background (cant expect someone who grew up outside of civilization and who's shunned/hunted by a large part of said civilization to go feel much about helping those who would gladly send the Spanish Inquisition Templars her way)
personally i found Sten to be much worse than Morrigan and gladly left him at the campfire (if he even made it that far, most of my playthroughs of DA:O I left him in his cage and never looked back).

while I understand your reason, I find it hard to sympathize with the whole "it's hard to please them when you're trying to play the good guy" you're provoking a clash of personalities then complain about it afterwards.

my initial post here was to counter the claim of bioware's character designs being shallow/stereotypical, while you may not always like them or their personality, they are still some of the best rpg npcs i've encountered. If you really disliked Morrigan and Sten that much then you should've given that b*tch the boot at the first opportunity and left the child-murdering giant in his cage.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 09:41:50 am »

Offtopic that screenshot reminds me so much of Flatout. Man I gotta bust out my ps2 now.
Pages: [1] 2