Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Dragonball Z Appreciation Thread (spoilers)  (Read 2652 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dragonball Z Appreciation Thread (spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 05:50:26 pm »

I have a question. This series is about 30 years old. Why does it have spoiler warnings?

Because...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 07:08:59 pm »

I have a question. This series is about 30 years old. Why does it have spoiler warnings?

Because...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

God, tell me about it. I cant the anime thread because of it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 10:11:09 pm »

It's got spoiler warnings because there's plenty of people who haven't seen or read it, and if they do then it's more awesome for them to read it without all the plot twists and turns being ruined.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 10:14:01 pm »

You'd think the "(spoilers)" in the title would keep away anyone worried about that O.o
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 12:41:35 am »

Personally, I appreciated that Dragonball's characters and story were well developed. The villains in particular tended to have personalities and motivations that were explained. Not just "I am bad so I will destroy the universe because I am bad!"

Ehh, the Toriyama part of the series was better. It more or less went downhill after the Cell saga, at least in my opinion. I definitely didn't appreciate Garlic Jr. or Babidi as much as the other villains. This is mainly because they were heavily stereotyped, like Garlic Jr. wanting to create an "army of darkness" or Bibidi and Babidi wanting to destroy everything just for grins and giggles (and laugh maniacally for minutes on end in Garlic Jr.'s case.)

I really liked Vegeta because you get to see him progress from evil villain to slightly cooperative "villain," then to a passive asshole, then eventually to a fairly stable hero-like figure (not that he doesn't regress once or twice... ahem.) I like character complexity and development, and Vegeta is one of the best examples I can think of.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 01:34:49 am »

I actually really like Garlic Jr, because it showed the other characters defending the Earth without Goku. It really let them shine, and it was really hard for them. They manage to defeat Garlic Jr. without suddenly finding a new found ability.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 02:30:45 am »

Hehe, Vegeta is like Piccolo but with less divinity and more asshole.  Seriously, they'd almost have the same character arcs, other than Vegeta having such an incredibly unstable personality.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 01:06:29 pm »

Yeah, Piccolo steadily progresses towards hero, but Vegeta fluctuates all over the damn place. So, definitely unstable.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 01:23:56 pm »

I heavily appreciate TeamFourStar's DBZ Abridged series.

http://www.teamfourstar.com/page-episodes

After having watch the original as a kid, these brought back a bit of the nostalgia... and a whole truckload of humor to go with it. Too bad they take about a month or two in between episodes.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 12:34:47 am »

I heavily appreciate TeamFourStar's DBZ Abridged series.

http://www.teamfourstar.com/page-episodes

After having watch the original as a kid, these brought back a bit of the nostalgia... and a whole truckload of humor to go with it. Too bad they take about a month or two in between episodes.

DBZ Abridged is a work of genius, but...
This is the thread where we talk about all things Dragonball Z (please no Dragonball, Dragonball Z GT, or Dragonball Z Abridged.)

I'm currently re-watching the Babidi/Fat Buu series. Good times. Also, Vegeta actually... fits in with Gohan and Goku fairly well at this point.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 01:00:56 am »

I'm actually probably about to start rereading the entire thing.  I miss it too much.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 03:44:31 pm »

Favorite character(s)...A toss up between stoic Vegeta and bad-ass Bardock. Bardock is basically what you get when you take Goku and give him Vegeta's attitude.

My favorite scene was where Vegeta was dying, and begging for Goku to destroy Frieza. Freeza? Whatever. I love how the characters are named after things like vegetables and whatnot, heheh.

As a note: I've only watched the Dub version, since I really can't stand Wapanese voices. My little sister (9) started watching DBZ when she was 7, and still watches them. I mean, that is amazingly bad-ass. She's playing Skyrim right now...

The first Broly movie was pretty damn good, I really liked it. Nice animation too, considering it's around thirty years old...

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2011, 05:02:09 pm »

Hah, nostalgia...  I think I first saw this in Cantonese or some such.  Up till the end of the Frieza Saga.. it took me a bit to recognize the names in English. 
For a long time, didn't know there was more beyond that or that there was a DB.

I've always like Vegeta out of the lot I guess....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2011, 05:09:39 pm »

... The Japanese voice-actors aren't white... so they aren't Wapanese?

Okay, whatever.  I should probably stop nit-picking.  I first saw the show dubbed when I was in 3rd grade or something, was enthralled (Who is this green guy?  He has a great voice!  What are the Dragonballs?  Why are we in a desert?  Why don't MORE cartoons take place in deserts?  I want to watch more adventure shows!), and ended up watching a couple of other episodes in 5th grade (Why do they all have yellow hair?  Fuck this).

Then I picked up the entire manga series in French at a yardsale, read it a few times, read the English version from the library a bit, and finally buckled under and got it in Japanese.  I've seen a few episodes from the show in English and Japanese at this point, and a few of the movies; at this point, I'm not too fond of either set of voice actors and most of my experience with the animation is in terms of youtube poop >_>

I should add that I'm a girl, I guess *shrug*.  Unfortunately, I haven't met any other female dragonball fans.

By the way, OP, it'd be cool if you opened the thread to discussion of things other than DBZ, so that we could talk about, say, Kai, the games, the movies, the franchise in general, the abridged series, whatever.  The Dragonball universe is well-defined enough that it's improbable that we'll go running off-topic.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 07:06:47 pm »

I sold my car for gas money!

...Yeah the manga is on my read list.  I'm pretty sure there's a scanlation group going through it again with higher quality scans.  Same for the One Piece manga actually.  I might even try it RAW if the Japanese isn't too bad and there's furigana everywhere.
Pages: 1 [2] 3