Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Dragonball Z Appreciation Thread (spoilers)  (Read 2646 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dragonball Z Appreciation Thread (spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 07:35:23 pm »

it'd be cool if you opened the thread to discussion of things other than DBZ, so that we could talk
about, say, Kai, the games, the movies, the franchise in general, the abridged series, whatever.

I assumed he meant that anyway. Most people I've spoken to don't realize Z isn't the name of the entire franchise.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 07:45:05 pm »

Dragonball has furigana and often uses hiragana in place of kanji, but once you figure out Goku's Touhokuben it's not that hard (Dragonball uses dialects very heavily, but the most complex one I can remember is Goku's.  The other ones are much easier to figure out and don't involve as many vowel shifts); the language steadily becomes more sophisticated, but the learning curve is pretty slow.  There's a jump once the Saiyans show up, as well, but with a dictionary it's mostly okay.

@LordBucket:

(please no Dragonball, Dragonball Z GT, or Dragonball Z Abridged.)

Well, there's always this part, which is what I was referring to.

Of course, the most discussion of GT I want to have is "it doesn't exist, okay guys :I" so maybe I shouldn't complain.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2011, 04:49:40 pm »

By the way, OP, it'd be cool if you opened the thread to discussion of things other than DBZ, so that we could talk about, say, Kai, the games, the movies, the franchise in general, the abridged series, whatever.

Noted. If there's interest, I don't see why not. Discuss away! I will edit the first post. (Please keep DBZ Abridged discussion minimal, though. It could easily engulf the thread.)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2011, 07:42:57 pm »

So, I'm a heavy Mu*er. I dont play on a lot of muds, generally Mushes.

The first mush I played on a Dragonball Z Mush.  DBZ: Chronicles. It was freaken awesome. It closed down, then we open up DBZA.

I'd really like to open up another Dragonball Mush. But I dont think it could garner a good player base.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2011, 03:03:57 pm »

B'awww, just started rereading from the beginning... we're about to meet Oolong.  Gokuu is kind of ridiculous at this age, and I'm enjoying his conversations with Bulma more as they complain at each other.

It's also kind of nice that Toriyama doesn't condemn Bulma as "impure-hearted" for being seductive and manipulative, but for being a raging bitch >_>  I'm glad that she gets to grow up, in time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 09:09:48 pm »

I read a bit of the beginning not too long ago as well. I got to the chapter just before they meet Yamcha. So far I'm surprised at the portrayal of Bulma. I really don't like her character at the stage in the story. I started watching the show with Z, so I'm looking forward to reading through the earlier bits.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.
Pages: 1 2 [3]