Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: 37 war dogs vs. frogotten beast  (Read 8843 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: 37 war dogs vs. frogotten beast
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 05:52:00 pm »

If dwarven justice is anything to go by, a tantruming marksdwarf will stick to melee attacks, preferring the crossbow. But if they proceed directly to insanity and pick the berserker option, then they'll start shooting.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 08:38:10 pm »

ok but the frogotten teddy bear is flying. if the tunnel is 1 high it not be a problem. another thing this thing has not spit or fire or anything its flesh so in you opion can my 37 dogs kill it (and i don't care if 36 of them die i could use the loss of lag) and I want a %of chance of victory
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 09:37:23 pm »

Here you go:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Make it happen. After all, if it's really a frog gotten beast... dogs are better than frogs, rite?

nitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 10:19:05 pm »

It only takes a few good dwarves to take down most FBs. Dogs are kind of useless.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 06:36:03 am »

It sounds like you've got a bit of time and candy to spare. Make up 3 picks, set 3 dwarfs to mine somewhere for a month or two, assign the dwarfs to a military squad (remove their mining labor) and assign the dogs to the best dwarf. If they're not trained, have him train them (it gets around the unhappiness from pets dying part). Then rush at the FB with your ex-miners and the dogs in tow. Mining is always a handy (and quick to train) backup military skill. Candy picks, or any picks against flesh really, work wonders.

A pick, a wooden shield, a cloak and a helmet and they're practically real soldiers. Don't worry about the flying part, the FB will come to you when you clear the way and sic your dogs on him.
It's a game. Have fun.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 03:01:28 pm »

ok but the frogotten teddy bear is flying. if the tunnel is 1 high it not be a problem. another thing this thing has not spit or fire or anything its flesh so in you opion can my 37 dogs kill it (and i don't care if 36 of them die i could use the loss of lag) and I want a %of chance of victory

Ok, based on the info you've given, I'd say you have a 64.385% chance of victory. Plus or minus 40% due to unknown factors.

Happy now?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 03:32:21 pm »

Ok, based on the info you've given, I'd say you have a 64.385% chance of victory. Plus or minus 40% due to unknown factors.
64.385+40=104.385% chance of victory? :P

Seriously though, DF has way to many random rolls to even hope to try to give you a percentage chance. I mean even when people were doing controlled tests in the arena (same exact starting positions with the same units, same skills, same equipment, same everything) there was often still a wild variance in their results. After all you could always end up with a scenario where a thrown fluffy wambler kills a Bronze Colossus or you could end up where the FB kills everything and comes out unharmed.

To get a view of exactly how much randomness is here you could visualize a dice roll. If I want to know my chance of rolling a 1 on a 6d, it's simple (16.6%). Now I'm going to roll 10 dice and I want to know that chance of me rolling three 1's, two 3's, one four, and four 5's. Still possible, but it would take a lot more work to figure out. Now imagine two players facing each other trying to roll higher. If every time player 1 rolls a 5 or a 6 they get to roll another die and every time player 2 rolls a 4 they get to roll another die. What is the percentage chance that player 1 beats player 2? Even more complicated. Now imagine the same scenario again but this time you don't know what numbers player 2 gets to roll again on, or even how many numbers player 2 gets to roll again on. That is combat in DF. Unless your name is Tarn Adams, or maybe a few others who have used hex editors to puzzle out the equations, it isn't even possible to figure out the equation, and even if you do you are talking something with trillions of possible combinations that would take forever to figure out. To put it simply, giving a percentage chance of anything in DF is simply not possible
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 03:55:41 pm »

I want a %of chance of victory

If you had human soldiers, it'd be something like 32.33, recurring of course, percentage chance of survival.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 04:39:14 pm »

I want a %of chance of victory

If you had human soldiers, it'd be something like 32.33, recurring of course, percentage chance of survival.

Ok thanks guys and the dogs broke the thing lower body open and its head, but im short 37 on dogs and my marks dwarf took him down (in a few seconds). so the dogs could have killed it if i was lucky so now i know that all i need is 38 war dogs and im set.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 04:45:59 pm »

You failed to spot the sarcasm, and also the point. But hey, its all good.
This is a blank sig.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 05:04:08 pm »

Breaking something's bodypart open is a long way from death. I doubt any number of war dogs can inflict more than surface tissue layer injuries to a thing the size of an FB.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 07:11:27 pm »

Breaking something's bodypart open is a long way from death. I doubt any number of war dogs can inflict more than surface tissue layer injuries to a thing the size of an FB.

i think it was made of snow??? and i only posted the more fatal hits. he was hurt pritty bad he had brusies every ware and was about to crash

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 07:19:15 pm »

i think it was made of snow??? and i only posted the more fatal hits. he was hurt pritty bad he had brusies every ware and was about to crash

Wait a second, in the OP you said "this beasty is not special its got normal flash and is not very spacial". If it was made of snow, that changes things a lot. Now I'd say you have a 67.254% chance of victory, and the uncertainty is own to plus or minus 32.746 percent.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 07:31:56 pm »

Wait a second, in the OP you said "this beasty is not special its got normal flash and is not very spacial". If it was made of snow, that changes things a lot. Now I'd say you have a 67.254% chance of victory, and the uncertainty is own to plus or minus 32.746 percent.

my statment might not have been correct it was snow as off later inspection

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 09:51:14 pm »

the battle while likely take a while but if you get all 37 dogs to pile on it from the start they SHOULD kill it granted it doesnt have any deadly dust or vapors....

fire breath can also be an issue...
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6