Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: 37 war dogs vs. frogotten beast  (Read 8848 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
37 war dogs vs. frogotten beast
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:08:14 pm »

this beasty is not special its got normal flash and is not very spacial, and it has no abillities exsept it can fly. i have 37 war dogs next to my mine (which i walled off) and i want to know could 37 dogs strike down a beasty
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 37 war dogs vs. frogotten beast
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 09:14:39 pm »

If it doesn't have any deadly dust or blood or anything like that, then they should be able to hold it down for a long while (perhaps indefinitely) or kill it if they get lucky.  It all depends on whether or not they dogpile it from the beginning.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 09:15:25 pm »

If it doesn't have any deadly dust or blood or anything like that, then they should be able to hold it down for a long while (perhaps indefinitely) or kill it if they get lucky.  It all depends on whether or not they dogpile it from the beginning.

what if i assighn them to a recruit and send him on a death mission
EDIT ill instead use my legandary mark's dwarf (hunter)
the current problem being that i cannot reach my adamintine mine (i used it all on serated discs and no FORCE HAS TAKEN ME YET) i have reserve of the candy but i will run out as it is my main export and my main income. if i lose the candy i ain't gonna have any sugar.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:26:26 pm by jaxler »

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:19:32 pm »

If the recruit has an edged weapon of sufficient sharpness and quality, then if the dogs pin the beast down he'll probably make it bleed to death after a while.  If the beast gets to him before the dogs pile on it, then he might die and you'll be back at square one. 

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:20:46 pm »

I've never known a group of war dogs to stick by whoever they're assigned to (unless the dwarf is idling), but who knows - maybe that's just my bad luck. If it's just my bad luck, then if it was me sending them in, the recruit would die and the war dogs would wind up there with the beast, just one at a time, easy kills for the thing. Something I could see working, though, is sticking them all in a cage and having it linked to a pressure plate, ready for the beast to walk by. That would "dogpile" them pretty efficiently.

Honestly, I would do something else besides siccing war dogs on a forgotten beast...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:22:44 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:34:57 pm »

War dogs work pretty well for some FBs. But basically they only hold it down until the military can get there and kill the thing.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:39:44 pm »

War dogs work pretty well for some FBs. But basically they only hold it down until the military can get there and kill the thing.

i dont have one. i use a drop trap an adamintine discs to keep back invation. i do have 1 lengadary marksdwarf and i wonder if him+ 37 dogs could bite his face off. i have never killed one and i want to know should i revert to dogs or just cut my loses and block the mines. what if i made 100 war dogs? could i win then

or is ther eanything else i can do with no millitary to kill this thing? any ideas help clues? and im not in to danger rooms or atom smashers or lava traps and fall trpas wont work he can fly. i could set ub a battery of bilista fire but im not sure if that would be smart seeing how i would ne to open a path to the fort. plz any ideas would be nice.

P.S. cave in wont work eather

P.S.S how do i set off a dog pile(the dogs are in a pasture naxt to the mine)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:19:38 pm by jaxler »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 10:14:15 pm »

Just use one dog chained in a room as bait, then drop the roof on it.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 10:14:51 pm »

Just use one dog chained in a room as bait, then drop the roof on it.
But thats not as fun as unleashing 37 wardogs on it.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 10:43:56 pm »

If you really want to get the dogs sicced on the thing, there's only a few different ways to do it that I can think of.
A. Bring the beast to the dogs. Easy enough. He'll come of his own accord - you just need to keep the dogs in place. Either pile them in a cage or keep them in a pasture, or keep them assigned a dwarf who isn't moving - i.e. in a burrow.
B. Bring the dogs to the beast. Possibly more "fun". Assign them all to one recruit and get moving.

Both have drawbacks. If you lead the beast to your fort, you have to kill it or it kills you. If you leave the beast where it is, you'll likely have a little less chance of succeeding in piling all the dogs on it at once. And that legendary crossbowdwarf will definitely come in handy either way, if you come up with a good way to use him.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 11:57:08 pm »

If ya want to zerg something.  Ya might try hunting doggies, instead.  On embark min/max your animal handler with ambush/observe, then train all hunting dogs, from there on out and give them to that dwarf.  Patrol him to ea of the four corners of the region in an 0 shape, not an X shape, or around the fortresses perimeter.  You'll create a choo choo train of doggies out there, looping and looping your region.  As the high observe dwarf uncovers stuff your doggie choo choo train will tear it to pieces.  Eventually the looping dwarf will meet up with the kaboose doggie of the doggie choo choo train in general, and hop right on in on the fun.  Dunno how this works with FBs but it might be fun on Semi's.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 03:00:44 am »

I have assigned war dogs following my dwarfs all right, I just have to ensure they aren't pastured and doors allow pets.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 09:49:58 am »

Man, people not reading...

He's all set! OP, if you have the dogs pastured next to the mine, and you really want to see the 37 on 1 fight, just open the way from the mines to the pasture area. If the pasture is pretty small, most/all your dogs will find the beast pretty quickly and you can see if they take it down. You could even first set up a drawbridge system in a tunnel further down so that you can close off the fight area in case the dogs lose.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 02:39:56 pm »

Well, depending on the FB, 37 war dogs might bring it down. But you can count on losing at least some of them. And if you assign a war dog to a soldier, it counts as a pet. So you could end up with a very unhappy legendary marksdwarf if you assign the dogs to him. That could be FUN.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 02:44:19 pm »

Hmm...

Does a tantruming marksdwarf shoot bolts at things? I'd expect they'll probably just hit dwarves in melee with their crossbow.

So...time to give somebody a wooden or bone crossbow?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6