Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Utter Hatred  (Read 1861 times)

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Utter Hatred
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:28:02 pm »

Now, I've been thinking.
All dwarves hate elves.
But it's not necessarily the other way around.
No matter how many times we drown them, they still (sorta) love us.
Now, I've been thinking, how do we get them to hate us back?
According to the raws, the reason they like us (to start with) is because we have similar ethics.
I now propose, an Entity Token known as [RIVAL=X]
If this token is in an Entity file, then, regardless of how in common two civilizations are, if someone is labeled with this token, they will utterly despise them.
That way, we don't have to waste our precious magma getting them pissed off.
They'd already hate us.
And we'd hate them.
Along with this, due to it being a raw token, you could easily mod just about any race to utterly hate you.
Great for challenges!
This may or may not have been searched for.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Utter Hatred
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:35:27 pm »

Now, I've been thinking.
All dwarves hate elves.
But it's not necessarily the other way around.
No matter how many times we drown them, they still (sorta) love us.
Now, I've been thinking, how do we get them to hate us back?
According to the raws, the reason they like us (to start with) is because we have similar ethics.
I now propose, an Entity Token known as [RIVAL=X]
If this token is in an Entity file, then, regardless of how in common two civilizations are, if someone is labeled with this token, they will utterly despise them.
That way, we don't have to waste our precious magma getting them pissed off.
They'd already hate us.
And we'd hate them.
Along with this, due to it being a raw token, you could easily mod just about any race to utterly hate you.
Great for challenges!
This may or may not have been searched for.
Emphasis mine.

From OP of http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78949.msg2554864#msg2554864:
[ENEMY_RACE:x:y:reason]
x = race y = % chance of happening. During world gen the entity will spontaneously declare war on the entity x based on the y percentage.The reason tag is for legends mode. The template will read like this "WAR NAME was waged by GROUP A on the GROUP B. The most significant cause of the conflict was the adversary's [reason]" So once all plugged in it would read "The most significant cause of conflict was the adversary's genetic inferiority" or "adversary's rudeness/wealth/lack of ale/being elves" any number of things really. This will make natural enemies without doing things like adding the [BABYSNATCHER] tag or removing the [CAN_SPEAK] tag.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:34:56 am »

procedurally generated maybe? or better yet somewhere in the init file (hmm maybe not the best place) where you specify whether or not to over-ride certain  RAW settings--such as rivalry.. if on then things like rivalry are procedural generated (so you don't know if they hate you or not until you play) but if OFF then you can make the world exactly like you want.

Something else that could make sense is the opposite of rivalry "affinity" but maybe this is served already by the ethics,

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 12:52:13 pm »

Why not just add a [RACIST] tag? :P
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:02:43 pm »

Why not just add a [RACIST] tag? :P

it isn't always the same thing.  Racism can often come from rivalry's etc but it in itself is not racism

A political scientist would say that rivalry's occur when social cleavages emerge which cause groups of 'people' to compete over the same resource or other good whether abstract or tangible.  In other words...things split us (like language ) which make it hard to work together--this creates teams and these teams being seemingly unable to work together (or maybe actually unable..there simply isn't enough food on the boat for everyone) compete over whatever it is that they are competing over.  Rivalry/competition is simple this divide between groups over a competition for something (whether it be  food, land, or even simply the glory of winning football games)

...Racism on the other hand often comes from these competitions.  Racism is the hatred or mistreatment, etc of a group simply because of WHAT they are...not because of how they compete with you or the problems that arise out of the differences between you.  Therefore racism is a possible result of rivalry but not the same and not the only possible outcome either (like the difference between good sports and bad sports in athletics--bad sports hate the other team because they are the other team, good sports simply want to win themselves...I know not a perfect analogy).

I hope this answered the question.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 04:26:20 am »

Dwarves don't have elves, players do.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 04:29:31 am »

The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 11:10:01 am »

I don't get the point of the thread, if you want them to siege you (which is what you get when you piss them off) you can just add sieger tag to their raws
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 01:22:05 pm »

I don't hate elves. Then again, I'm no dwarf.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 05:01:36 pm »

I don't get the point of the thread, if you want them to siege you (which is what you get when you piss them off) you can just add sieger tag to their raws

I think he is after making worlds where civilizations are pre-disposed to dislike each other...

Despite my suggestion for how you could implement this...I think having such rivalries develop naturally through the world gen simulation makes more sense. So maybe more things like hatred etc can develop in world gen and cause civ's to act different towards each other.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 08:08:02 pm »

All dwarves hate elves.
Untrue.

HE'S AN ELF! BURN HIM!

Back on-topic, this has been suggested before, but i still definitely +1 it.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 01:08:49 pm »

...That is an interesting misspelling, which implies that elves are some sort of parasite that lives off the player. Or maybe I'm just tired. Who knows anymore?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 06:03:41 am »

...That is an interesting misspelling, which implies that elves are some sort of parasite that lives off the player. Or maybe I'm just tired. Who knows anymore?

They're not a parasite, they're a plague.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 04:47:42 pm »

They're not a parasite, they're a plague.
That would explain the rats they've been trying to sell me lately.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.