Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coop Games  (Read 1286 times)

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coop Games
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:04:37 pm »

So, I'm looking for some new coops to play with the fiancee...

We've already played the hell out a few of the staples, like L4D/L4D2, Portal 2, Borderlands, Warcraft 3, League of Legends, Saint's Row 2, Civ5, TW:Shogun 2. We didn't really enjoy Dungeon Defenders all that much (because it felt like a mediocre multiplayer version of Orcs Must Die!). The games don't necessarily need to be coop ie. Civ5/Shogun) but the ability to play together helps.

I'd LOVE a story-based RPG type, but graphics are sort of important. For her to get into them, they need to have either good graphics (Source Engine well done or better) or very nicely 'stylized' graphics (like LoL). I'd love to do NWN2 with her, but we tried and she couldn't get into it due to the graphics/clunky controls. :( We both have pretty powerful PCs - i5 quads, I'm running 2x GTX 460's and she's on a 5870 - so we can run anything out there.

Any suggestions?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:07:56 pm by KatalDT »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coop Games
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:14:50 pm »

Magicka. Definitely that one.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 08:42:11 pm »

Freeciv, Icewind Dale, Age of Empires 1/2, Mount and Blade, Trine, Terraria, Company of Heroes, Borderlands, Iron Grip: Warlords, Alien Swarm, Empire Earth, Galcon Fusion, Alpha Centurai, Freelancer, Worms, Alien Versus Predator 2000/2, Killing Floor, Synergy (HL2 MOD), Orginal NWN.

They might not all be something your girlfriend will enjoy. Just listing games I had fun with a friend of mine.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:44:44 pm »

Freeciv, Icewind Dale, Age of Empires 1/2, Mount and Blade, Trine, Terraria, Company of Heroes, Borderlands, Iron Grip: Warlords, Alien Swarm, Empire Earth, Galcon Fusion, Alpha Centurai, Freelancer, Worms, Alien Versus Predator 2000/2, Killing Floor, Synergy (HL2 MOD), Orginal NWN.

They might not all be something your girlfriend will enjoy. Just listing games I had fun with a friend of mine.

Most of those are probably off, given she couldn't even play NWN2 because of the graphics.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:50:01 pm »

Most of those are probably off, given she couldn't even play NWN2 because of the graphics.

Feel free to suggest ones that are lower graphics, I might be able to convince her if the UI isn't so clunky (ie. NWN2) and I'm sure others who search/read this thread won't have the same problems with lower graphics.

Edit: Also, we both have Magicka and Company of Heroes (+expansions), I tend to grab games for both of us whenever they're on those insane sales... haha. So we got a couple to try. :)

Edit #2: I should add that top of the line graphics aren't completely necessary - she enjoyed Terraria, but the controls/UI were relatively slick in that. NWN2 was more about UI/controls to her I guess.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:00:55 pm by KatalDT »

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:07:11 pm »

if you can convince her that snes graphics are awesome you should try Secret of Mana, theres even internet/lan multiplayer emulators if you want.. If you dont want to buy it legit/already own it but misplaced it... or whatever.

Swat4 is pretty amazing, albeit difficult to play 2player coop[best with 3-4 in my opinion, although you can do it with more]... so it might not work unless you can convince some others.

Anno1404 is kinda like simcity with ships and trading.. some spy stuff ect.. its not very warfare based, and you can either play it allied but seperate, or as actually the same "person".. Its fun, and actually very pretty. you need the expansion for multiplayer, anno1404: venice.

You could always try a hack and slash like diablo 2, simpler and a lot easier UI then say, NWN2, if uglier. I would also recommend Din's curse, which while ugly as sin, is really fun and a lot more fast paced and replayable.

Men of War: Assault Squad, is kinda like company of heroes, except better, and is a extremely fun game to play coop, as its about working together to push/hold a line of troops/tanks/artilliary ect...

Sengoku/EU3/Other paradox games: you 'could' play most of the eu3-victoria-ect games as allied countries, which is pretty fun if you like grand strategy, and if sengoku isn't very deep, it allows you to actually play coop by having one person be the clan leader, and the other one of his vassals.. But you can actually be a vassal Daimyo and have your own vassals.. so it doesnt take that much away.. and besides you can be coop right until you stab each other in the back or take clan leader from each other ect if you want to play that way.

Wanderlust: basically a zelda-ish combat[with rpg upgrades] game with upto 4player coop... [not as amazing of a world to explore, and its very very linear] It's not really that great of game, but its a very cheap indie game, and if it has some gameplay issues, i still managed to enjoy playing it coop with my friends.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:35:53 pm »

Though I hate to say it: Black Ops: Zombie Mode. Women LOVE it, though it seems that yours has some real gaming experience, so she may be disenchanted.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:47:58 pm »

Resident Evil 5 is almost unplayable solo.
Thank you based dwarf.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 09:57:12 pm »

Resident Evil 5 is almost unplayable solo.

We have it on the 360, and it's okay on there, but split screen even on a big screen @ 1080p is crap - we're spoiled by our nice computer screens that we don't have to share, haha. I hear the kb+m/mouse are awful.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 10:14:58 pm »

Actually, you could also try the rainbow six games.. Pretty much any of them would work, albeit i personally like ravenshield [it has issues with non-lan play btw]

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 10:17:55 pm »

Actually, you could also try the rainbow six games.. Pretty much any of them would work, albeit i personally like ravenshield [it has issues with non-lan play btw]

Hmm, what issues? I play RavenShield on PC over the net weekly with people from around the globe.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 10:18:47 pm »

We played through R6:Vegas and R6V2 coop, those were pretty fun (as action games... not up to snuff compared to the old R6 games IMO)

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 10:23:52 pm »

Dead Island maybe? Basically borderlands with zombies, melee focus and better graphics.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 10:43:19 pm »

Dead Island maybe? Basically borderlands with zombies, melee focus and better graphics.

I'll wait for a sale on that... buying games twice is expensive, and we rarely do at full price unless we *KNOW* we really want it.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 10:51:30 pm »

Australia/Oceania or the EU?
Pages: [1] 2