Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insane / melancholy dwarves and burrows.  (Read 796 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Insane / melancholy dwarves and burrows.
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:48:10 pm »

I tried searching for this but the only thing I found was someone who was unsure.

Will melancholy or crazy dwarves respect burrows? I'm pretty sure berzerks don't.. what with being enemies and all. but I'd like to assign the suicide candidate crazies to some remote corner of the fort where their death doesn't have to be witnessed. Nothing ruins a good party like uncle urist starving to death in the corner.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Insane / melancholy dwarves and burrows.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:01:52 pm »

I don't think they do, no.

An interesting affect of dwarves witnessing death often is that they become jaded to death, so it might actually be a good thing for uncle urist to die in front of Urist Mcinnocentchild.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Insane / melancholy dwarves and burrows.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 06:09:27 am »

An interesting affect of dwarves witnessing death often is that they become jaded to death

Being jaded is a great thing for sure, but the ability to lock away the crazies as a tantrum spiral is in control ... it could make a life/death difference in a pinch!

Especially with the new death system in the next update. No one saw him die? He's "missing"!  I'll try this out next time my fortress goes into the toilet(might be a long time until then so feel free to experiment) and, believe you me, if one actually can confine the crazies then they are going to see a whole lot less uncle urists dying... and a whole lot more uncle urists mysteriously disappearing!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.