Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What do you guys bring along when you embark?  (Read 8656 times)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: What do you guys bring along when you embark?
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2012, 12:03:54 pm »

Picks, an anvil, food etc etc. Nest boxes for my birds if i embark without trees available. With the Genesid mod in however some foodstuffs are set at 0 points, usually exotic sweet meats so being the scrub i am occasionally abuse this when i'm feeling lazy to get a fuckton of food and barrels on my hands for free.

This. Minus the anvil.

If the civilization you embark from has tamed cave animals available; buy a breeding pair of cave crocodiles.

Way ahead of you. 40 eggs a batch is pretty obscene
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2012, 12:38:05 pm »

Picks, an anvil, food etc etc. Nest boxes for my birds if i embark without trees available. With the Genesid mod in however some foodstuffs are set at 0 points, usually exotic sweet meats so being the scrub i am occasionally abuse this when i'm feeling lazy to get a fuckton of food and barrels on my hands for free.

This. Minus the anvil.

If the civilization you embark from has tamed cave animals available; buy a breeding pair of cave crocodiles.

That's not the best reason to bring them- Hatchlings, even just a few months old, drop so much meat, bones and fat. On my current fort, I've only been playing for less than 2 years and I already have over 1,000 meat.

Plus, if you put 'em on a rope, they keep the baddies (damn Rhesus Macaques) away.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2012, 12:39:25 pm »

This. Minus the anvil.

That's not the best reason to bring them- Hatchlings, even just a few months old, drop so much meat, bones and fat. On my current fort, I've only been playing for less than 2 years and I already have over 1,000 meat.

Plus, if you put 'em on a rope, they keep the baddies (damn Rhesus Macaques) away.

Strictly speaking the best reason is waves and waves of war animals trapped in cages at strategic locations
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2012, 12:44:04 pm »

This. Minus the anvil.

Strictly speaking the best reason is waves and waves of war animals trapped in cages at strategic locations

I already have 3 of them sitting outside my walls. :)
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2012, 12:45:34 pm »

I like dogs for their procreation value. Oh so 20 killed in that last ambush? Put 40 outside next time.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2012, 01:04:10 pm »

I like dogs for their procreation value. Oh so 20 killed in that last ambush? Put 40 outside next time.
Mastiffs from genesis are a touch more badass, they can't take an armed opponent in single combat but they'll destroy wild animals and with even a slight numbers advantage they cut right through a siege.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2012, 01:48:36 pm »

I almost always ditch the anvil. Bam, 300 points to spend on skills. I never get my metal industry set up before year 3 anyhow, so the first or second caravan is sent staggering away with all the vendor trash that Urist McCraftsdwarf can pump out, light one anvil.

I'm paranoid, so I always buy more seeds, and have at least one dorf with adequate farming skills. Unskilled dorfs might waste a seed trying to plant it, and until your farmers can start growing stacks of 2 or 3 helmets for each spawn expended, it's quite possible to run out, and running out of food in the harsh wilderness is just scary.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2012, 01:51:00 pm »

I almost always ditch the anvil. Bam, 300 points to spend on skills. I never get my metal industry set up before year 3 anyhow, so the first or second caravan is sent staggering away with all the vendor trash that Urist McCraftsdwarf can pump out, light one anvil.

I'm paranoid, so I always buy more seeds, and have at least one dorf with adequate farming skills. Unskilled dorfs might waste a seed trying to plant it, and until your farmers can start growing stacks of 2 or 3 helmets for each spawn expended, it's quite possible to run out, and running out of food in the harsh wilderness is just scary.
Do unskilled farmers waste seeds? I never put any points into farming and I've never had any trouble with getting set up.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2012, 01:52:30 pm »

I also set my points for embark at around 5000 so i can buy some exotic breeding stock

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2012, 03:31:11 pm »

Do unskilled farmers waste seeds? I never put any points into farming and I've never had any trouble with getting set up.
Experienced farmers harvest more food+seeds.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2012, 03:33:22 pm »

I generally bring an anvil and sink most points into smithing supplies.

Most usually I bring 4 military dwarves, proficient weapon users. Sometimes I embark with 6 instead and it is preferable to do so in terms of good strategy. If playing fortress defense with a pure military defense, then the military has a much easier time with 6 super-soldiers than merely 4, 2, or none.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2012, 03:39:17 pm »

I guess that's useful but by the second or third harvest I generally have entirely too many plants laying around.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 03:40:30 pm »

I guess that's useful but by the second or third harvest I generally have entirely too many plants laying around.

Don't grow anything in winter. Your food stockpiles run out incredibly quickly :P

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 03:46:55 pm »

I'll re-start my embark several times until I get a few dwarfs with good strength, stamina and agility for a starting guard in fortress defense, makes more difference early on then weapon material/ quality I find.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2012, 03:52:35 pm »

Don't grow anything in winter. Your food stockpiles run out incredibly quickly :P

I actually get a solid 70% of my food from trapping or hunting so most of my forts have about five years worth of food at any given time. My farms are either for extracts or cloth, I assign all of my garbage dwarves every farm labor because I don't really value their labor as "skilled". I think I'll start reserving growing for skilled dwarves though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5