Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What do you guys bring along when you embark?  (Read 8652 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: What do you guys bring along when you embark?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 06:58:47 pm »

Anvil, 5 copper bars (2 axes, 3 picks), 2 or 3 units of stone (check your dwarves' preferences for cheap stone that they like but will be difficult to obtain, like petrified wood), 1 ram, 2 ewes, same ratio of dogs. Around 40 points in seeds (maximum of 1 dimple cup). Dump all of the bags/buckets/cloth/thread/splints/etc, and all foodstuffs. After allocating skills, 2/3rds of the remaining points go to booze, the rest to meat/fish.

I never start miners (or almost any skill, really) higher than Novice, as mining is THE easiest skill to train.

Oh, and a tomcat. And I never take plump helmets, we can easily live on meat/foraged plants until my farms start producing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:14:52 pm by SixOfSpades »
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

MountainGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2011, 07:01:17 pm »

50 foods ( anything really )
60 drink! ( it wouldn't be dwarfy to embark without more booze than food )
2 copper picks
18 plump helmet spawn
9 of each other seed
30 wood
20 leather
1 iron anvil
20 sand

that is the basics of what I've been bringing with me.  Everything else is random stuff I could live without, usually just bring weird things that could be asked for in a strange mood.

Year 1 I tell the caravan just to bring me wood the next year, and trade for all of it, they usually bring another 20~30ish logs with them a year from then on, which is all I really have found I need.  With the addition of stone pots, I just haven't had a great need for a giant pile of wood sitting around.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 07:08:49 pm »

Lots of booze
Lots of meat and Turtles (for their shells)
Lots of Plump Helmets and seeds for them (i never embark with any other plant, you really only need Plump Helmets. I make use of any other plants i buy from Traders of course, but i don't waste my time planting different plants, it's all Plump Helmets in my farms)
1 Pick
1 Axe
4 Dogs, two of each gender
4 Cats, two of each gender

And that's it. I don't bring an Anvil because i can just snag one from the Traders, so i can put those embark points to use on something that i'm actually gonna use before i even need a metal industry, like more food and booze.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 08:14:39 pm »

I like to embark with the following:
1 pick
What? You want more stuff? Back in my day we walked ten miles in the snow uphill both ways ! Sometimes I find it too easy to embark with just a pick so I also throw my pack animals into a pond and deny myself the free thread, leather, and meat you embark with. All you need is a pick. Your wagon contains three logs, you may keep one of them the other two go in the pond with the animals. Mine a stone, build a carpenters workshop, make a training axe out of the wood log. Once you have woodcutting and mining you have it all, gather some above ground plants and set up a still. If you can brew it you'll get seeds from it and you can start farming it. If you can eat the plants yay! If you can't make your miner the militia captain and send him to murder something tasty looking with his pick. You'll have vermin nomming on all your goodies so you'll have to keep your supplies fresh until you can place an order with the liason for some cats.  You'll want to hit the caverns as quick as you can because I can't even remember the last time I actually managed to gather rope reeds so you'll want to get some pig tails and it's good to have cloth around for moods and injuries. Ignore the advice of the helpful people! Do as I say and embark with no proper supplies!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 08:41:55 pm »

I like to embark with the following:
1 pick
What? You want more stuff? Back in my day we walked ten miles in the snow uphill both ways ! Sometimes I find it too easy to embark with just a pick so I also throw my pack animals into a pond and deny myself the free thread, leather, and meat you embark with. All you need is a pick. Your wagon contains three logs, you may keep one of them the other two go in the pond with the animals. Mine a stone, build a carpenters workshop, make a training axe out of the wood log. Once you have woodcutting and mining you have it all, gather some above ground plants and set up a still. If you can brew it you'll get seeds from it and you can start farming it. If you can eat the plants yay! If you can't make your miner the militia captain and send him to murder something tasty looking with his pick. You'll have vermin nomming on all your goodies so you'll have to keep your supplies fresh until you can place an order with the liason for some cats.  You'll want to hit the caverns as quick as you can because I can't even remember the last time I actually managed to gather rope reeds so you'll want to get some pig tails and it's good to have cloth around for moods and injuries. Ignore the advice of the helpful people! Do as I say and embark with no proper supplies!

...Embark with nothing.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 08:50:17 pm »

...Embark with nothing.

It's hard to start mining without a pick and it's hard to get a pick without mining that's fine for an above ground fort but not everyone likes those.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 08:52:32 pm »

...Embark with nothing.

It's hard to start mining without a pick and it's hard to get a pick without mining that's fine for an above ground fort but not everyone likes those.

But... But they're above ground :D

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 08:56:26 pm »

But... But they're above ground :D
Yes, I too prefer to conquer the world from the top down but some people just aren't dorfy enough to build monolithic structures from which spill unforgivable atrocities.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2011, 09:07:15 pm »

The only skills assigned are leader, recordkeeping, judge of intent, and appraiser. I put r/k & appraise on one dwarf n other 2 on another dwarf.

I make my leader the woodcutter at first n record keeper is my farmer.

I remove all med supplies and one axe then bring 5 picks

2 dogs 1 male 1 female later i train the resulting herd into hunting and war dogs

All other points go into food (mostly plump helmets) seeds / spawn and ready to chew and morr booze

Anything not specifically said removed from standard list is still there, like... 1 anvil
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:50:38 pm by dragginmaster »

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2011, 10:02:37 pm »

I take the Defaults, remove the Quivers, increase Picks to 5, and dump the rest of My Points on Plump Helmets.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 10:37:19 pm »

@Broseph Stalin: In my day, it was !!Snow!!.

7 picks, 7 miners, 4 wood. The rest is booze and seeds. I want as much fort dug as quickly as possible. One guy takes a few minutes to be a carpenter and build some beds for the other guys, then gets back to work.

If I expect lots of trouble, I'll bring 6 military dwarves and one very capable miner to get us into stone as fast as possible. Then I wall it off. We live or die by what ever we find under ground.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2012, 06:32:34 am »

I once tried to embark on a glacier with nothing. Attacking Yetis with unarmed and unskilled soldiers is bad news.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2012, 08:25:35 am »

I once tried to embark on a glacier with nothing. Attacking Yetis with unarmed and unskilled soldiers is bad news.
Jungles are more fun 0 points but not as much FUN, I just got a thorough ass kicking by two consecutive troops of mandrills raiding my storehouse of the very little food I collected because a roach jammed the door open. Two dwarves were injured by bites and scratches dwarves and one drowned trying to fight one that fell in the water and another has an infection where one bit him in the hand. They wrestled like twelve monkeys into submission in the most hilarious way possible.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2012, 11:54:58 am »

Picks, an anvil, food etc etc. Nest boxes for my birds if i embark without trees available. With the Genesid mod in however some foodstuffs are set at 0 points, usually exotic sweet meats so being the scrub i am occasionally abuse this when i'm feeling lazy to get a fuckton of food and barrels on my hands for free.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2012, 11:57:27 am »

Picks, an anvil, food etc etc. Nest boxes for my birds if i embark without trees available. With the Genesid mod in however some foodstuffs are set at 0 points, usually exotic sweet meats so being the scrub i am occasionally abuse this when i'm feeling lazy to get a fuckton of food and barrels on my hands for free.

This. Minus the anvil.

If the civilization you embark from has tamed cave animals available; buy a breeding pair of cave crocodiles.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5