Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What do you guys bring along when you embark?  (Read 8651 times)

Vexorg_the_Devourer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you guys bring along when you embark?
« on: November 07, 2011, 04:47:57 pm »

I don't bring any medical equipment because it looks like you can make it all pretty easily.  So here are my priorities:
1. Booze (no wine, easy enough to make early on)
2. Picks
3. Axe
4. Anvil (I used to not bring one, but now they are a lot cheaper)
5. A whole bunch of barrels full of deli meat
6. Seeds (only about 10 of each)
7. Wood (not too much)
8. Plump helmets
Am I missing anything?  Is there an 'embark with magma' button?

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: What do you guys bring along when you embark?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 04:54:47 pm »

Steel bars. As currently due to a bug all metal items take only 1 bar to make, it is quite cost-efficient to get steel bars at 150 urist dollars each.
Also, sheep. 3 ewes and 1 ram.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 04:57:42 pm »

The standard, but I trade in the default meat/fish for one sample of every kind of animal that costs two points, netting me some free barrels.  Generally, this results in my initial food stores being nothing but prepared brains of various sorts, but hey...

I also bring two female and one male cats and the same gender ratio of dogs. a third female of each if I have embark points to burn for some reason.

If I embark somewhere that's going to be abjectly challenging, I might bring along what the region will be deficient in, like wood on a glacier.

The best way to "embark with magma" is to ensure there's a volcano on your embark site.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 05:10:44 pm »

Pretty much the default stuff... except minus one battleax, about 30 more seeds, and usually two dogs.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 05:11:06 pm »

If I want to be fully outfitted:
1) 11 of each type of booze for variety.
2) 2 picks, because I want to have two dwarves mining ASAP
3) 1 axe, because one woodcutter is enough at the start
4) 1 iron anvil, because I hate taking a chance on the first caravan. If there is only a steel anvil (no iron), I'll usually do without and take my chances.
5) A whole bunch of barrels full of deli meat.
6) 5 seeds of each underground type. That's enough to get started.
7) 3 ewes and one ram. They work well for both food and wool and only take a 4x4 pasture for each.
9) 3 turkey hens and one gobbler. Them eggs is good eattin'.
10) 1 female and one male dog (optional - I don't really get that much use from them since I can't really raise dogs for meat while my dog is lying at my feet).
11) 1 male cat for vermin control (also optional).
12) 3 or thread, just in case I need to make something.
13) 3 or so leather, ditto.
14) Some lye to make it easier to make the first batch of soap. It's cheap.
15 ) Maybe other stuff if I know the embark location will have challenges, like no wood or no metal ores.

Everything after #6 is pretty optional.

Well, anything at all is optional, since I've also done an embark with no items and no skills and didn't have too much trouble. But I did use the training axe exploit (using a wooden training axe to fell trees).

It's certainly possible to do a zero point embark without abusing training axes as well, but it requires a bit of luck since you can't really defend yourself if the wildlife gets unpleasant.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 05:25:13 pm »

Pretty much what's been mentioned above. If I'm anticipating early trouble (or inventive mining shenanigans), I might bring along a couple bags of gypsum powder and whatnot.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 05:30:56 pm »

Most of my starting funds are spent on giving my dwarves some half decent skills, whatever I have left over after that is usually spent on:

A pair of some egg laying animals(was geese this time).

Dogs.

maybe some cats. This time I brought cavy boars/sows.

Some bits of food.

A weapon, if I plan on making one of my starting seven the militia commander.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 05:49:03 pm »

It depends on whether or not I have the urgent need to start digging.  If I don't have to worry about being destroyed by the environment, I skip the picks and axes, and bring along an anvil, some copper ores, and plenty of wood, then make the tools myself to save points.  Otherwise I ditch the anvil, and bring tools.

After that it is most of the usual things:
A small amount of each booze
Seeds (everything except dimple cups)
2 units of wool rope
2 wool cloth, 2 wool thread (just in case of medical emergency)
2 dogs, male and female
2 cats, male and female
4 turkeys, 1 male and 3 females
sand (for the bags mostly)
logs (if the embark has no trees)

Then the leftover points get used on one of each 2-point 'meat' and tons of plump helmets.  maybe some more female dogs.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 05:57:21 pm »

Skills and dogs as cheap defence and meat/skin/bones.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 06:11:07 pm »

I often take nothing at all, but when I go equipped it's usually a pick or two, an axe, some seeds, and a little booze.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 06:21:01 pm »

I take the starting list and chop off the seeds(except for 1 plump helmet spawn), the plump helmets(4 points a piece? You gotta be kiddin me), and most of the buckets/bags/quivers section, leaving 1-2 of each.  I tend to take a splint and a crutch, though I might stop, they haven't done me any good yet.

Once I've done that, I set my skills and grab a cat.  Usually at this point, I have about 200 points left, so I tend to experiment with different things.  I'll bring wood if I'm in a low-wood zone.  Sometimes I'll bring alpacas, dogs, or, if I've got the exotic tag off, tigers.  I've tried taking small amounts of glass, silk and wool, just in case I get an early strange mood.  Sometimes I'll bring random stones I like the color of, like Olivine and Bauxite.  Sometimes I just bring a whole crapload of tower-cap logs and refuse to make beds out of anything else.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 06:25:52 pm »

Assuming I'm using a normal world, this is what a basic, 1274-point embark looks like for me:
Code: [Select]
1: Two pick-axes (changed the name in the raws).
2: One axe.
3: An anvil.
4: 20 each of three types of booze.
5: 15 meat.
6: 10 fish.
7: 15 plump helmets.
8: 10 of each seed, 18 rock nuts (one processed quarry bush only gives one rock nut). Dimple cup spawn is left out.
9: 2 male/1 female dogs, 1 male/1 female cat:
10: 15 coke and 15 copper bars, just in case I lack enough metal.
11: Other things of my choice with what points I have left.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 06:29:14 pm »

I tend to bring a few lumps of tetrahedrite, a rock and some charcoal instead of picks or axes. It saves a lot of dwarfbucks and it's only a very minor delay in getting everything started. Wood is also something I tend to bring in surplus, but that's probably because I favor desert embarks. I bring 5 seeds of each kind and a few different types of various animal meats and booze. Instead of bags, I take some sand, as it's much cheaper and, well, comes in bags.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 06:42:43 pm »

In the latest builds, I haven't figured out how to modify my embark equipment lists. I can increase/decrease quantities of existing things, sure, but once they're gone from the list, they're gone. The list on the side from which I can select things to add, only ever has an assortment of animals to include. Can't figure what I'm doing wrong, either. Sometimes, It's really nice to embark with a fully armed/armored squad to clear out a reclaim before I send a real reclamation group.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 06:44:32 pm »

In the latest builds, I haven't figured out how to modify my embark equipment lists. I can increase/decrease quantities of existing things, sure, but once they're gone from the list, they're gone. The list on the side from which I can select things to add, only ever has an assortment of animals to include. Can't figure what I'm doing wrong, either. Sometimes, It's really nice to embark with a fully armed/armored squad to clear out a reclaim before I send a real reclamation group.

Press "n".
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5