Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Are you expected to defeat every siege?  (Read 2214 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are you expected to defeat every siege?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 06:05:06 pm »

"Do you expect me to defeat every siege?"

No, Mister Bond, I expect you to die!

Losing is FUN!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 08:34:20 pm »

Also, since my population was cut down below 70 dwarves, once this siege gives up on me i should be in the clear right?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 08:52:51 pm »

"Do you expect me to defeat every siege?"

No, we expect you to defeat every siege except for the last one. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 09:27:58 pm »

Also, since my population was cut down below 70 dwarves, once this siege gives up on me i should be in the clear right?

Of sieges, for a moment, I think.  I'm pretty sure you'll still get ambushes, and of course migrants will come and bump you back over 80 unless preventative measures are taken.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 09:54:07 pm »

You're expected to *manage* every siege.  Walling off may not be the "honorable" or dorfy way of doing it, but if you can't take what's coming for you just yet, it's perfectly acceptable to hide underground and bide your time until you're ready to unleash some unstoppable hell upon the surface... or they get bored and go away, whichever happens first.

Yep, indeed! Thorin and Co. found this to be a perfectly acceptable solution to the shitton of humans sitting outside of the Lonely Mountain.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 10:37:04 pm »

You're expected to *manage* every siege.  Walling off may not be the "honorable" or dorfy way of doing it, but if you can't take what's coming for you just yet, it's perfectly acceptable to hide underground and bide your time until you're ready to unleash some unstoppable hell upon the surface... or they get bored and go away, whichever happens first.

Yep, indeed! Thorin and Co. found this to be a perfectly acceptable solution to the shitton of humans sitting outside of the Lonely Mountain.
Not to mention the elven army and then the goblin army that crashed the party.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 01:20:24 am »

Also in a Dwarf Fortress bonus; the random Titan that shows up will also join the frey and, at least in my cases, wipe the floor with those silly sieges. I especially love the fire breathing Titans that will in one season turn a nice green forest into a blasted wasteland full of burning goblintrollelfhuman mush.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 02:46:05 am »

If you feel cages are too cheap, you could make a bunch of wooden spiked balls and use them in weapon traps. Still OP on most lightly armored targets (aka gobbos) in my experience.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 03:10:25 am »

I always choose the better side of valor: if you don't feel up to siege-pull the lever that seals you in.  Build pumps, bring magma up to surface. Wire the same lever that handles your gate to the magma.

Pull lever
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 05:10:30 am »

Weapon traps are fun but they tend to clog with dead bodies. That wouldn't be a problem if some dwarf wouldn't feel the urge to clean the trap and run right into danger, getting killed and attracting in turn more dwarves to collect his body and socks and clean the trap of course. You're good if you have set up a decent burrow and order the civilian alarm which restricts the civvies to the burrow.
Upright Spears connected levers do not clog, I suppose they clean themselves when they retract into the ground.
Bridgesmashing is fun but you'll soon find out that certain big creatures are tougher than the bridge. I experienced very good results with magma gushing over intruders. I did a crude construction without drainage so this often hampers pathfinding and prolonging the siege.
Pathfinding is my main problem: intruders need a path into your fortress. Once it's blocked the best traps don't work and teasing them with the main gate lever can get tricky.
My advice: Wall in and wait until they leave. You can use the time to uncover the caves which will yield you wood that grows underground. Have a large soil layer dug out or do some floor irrigation. It may take some time for those strange trees to grow.
And you can plan your future means of defense and start digging it up. Long tunnels buy you time when enemies are coming. Once the siege leaves you can finish it.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 05:18:05 am »

In theory, you could bridgesmash goblins, but you wouldn't get any of their metal goods that way, and you won't be able to bridgesmash the troll buddies they tend to bring with the larger forces.

I like creating choke-points filled with cage traps, backed by a drawbridge if necessary, until I get a danger room running and my dorfs armed and armored. \ :P Yeah I'm a dirty cheater for using danger rooms.

Danger rooms? Bah. My dwarves wrestle badgers for their training   ;)
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 05:26:20 am »

Nope! Of course not! I generally defeat every one of them, though if it appears unwinnable I attempt to starve the siege out. Sometiems they just get bored and leave...

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 06:11:11 am »

You're not 'expected' to do anything. Just do what you want. If you prefer to throw badgers at the goblins until they get fed up, do that. If you prefer to hide underground, not showing yourself and making them all look stupid for showing up, do that.
[Signature]

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 06:23:45 am »

Also in a Dwarf Fortress bonus; the random Titan that shows up will also join the frey and, at least in my cases, wipe the floor with those silly sieges. I especially love the fire breathing Titans that will in one season turn a nice green forest into a blasted wasteland full of burning goblintrollelfhuman mush.
Beorn? Unfortunately not fire breathing but still goblin crunching.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 06:38:05 am »

I've had a siege wiped out by a Hydra before. The goblins managed to critically wound it, though it was still quite deadly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3