Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I set priorities on jobs?  (Read 8301 times)

kwikshot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do I set priorities on jobs?
« on: November 07, 2011, 03:40:41 pm »

I hate having people doing things like hauling or smaller jobs when I need them to stay at their workshop and actually WORK..

My lazy dwarfs are just taking the easiest jobs! Oh look, both masons are off detailing stone instead of actually turning this crap load of stone into blocks, suddenly we have no room for anything and I have a huge area full of stone!

Is there any way I can tell my lazy dwarfs to prioritise workshop jobs over others? I'm fed up with my working dwarfs leaving just to haul stone.

I'm a pretty new player, so I'm not very experienced in this game yet! Thank you for all the help for my totalitarian democratic regime.

EDIT: Same with my miners and their diggy diggy action!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:45:16 pm by kwikshot »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: How do I set priorities on jobs?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 03:44:03 pm »

the hard way:

go to every dwarf you dont want to haul stuff and tell them not to

the easy way:

get the dwarf therapist download and check or uncheck any boxes you want and commit them to the game

even with 20 dwarfs its easier than doing things manually
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 03:44:16 pm »

Use Dwarf Therapist, turn off detailing labors when you have masonry to be done.

kwikshot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 03:46:30 pm »

It didn't even occur to me to turn off hauling and stuffs.

If I turn off a labour and re-enable it do my stupid dwarfs forget their skill? Is there any penalty to doing this?

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 03:47:14 pm »

EDIT: Ninjaed while typing, bah!

There is no way to make a list of job priorities, unfortunately.

What you CAN do is micromanage labor assignments - do things like turn off hauling on your good craftsdwarves (or even turn off everything EXCEPT their craft) so they can't get distracted bringing things to/from the trade depot or other things.

You may then want to keep some dwarves (or in a larger fortress, likely most dwarves) with ONLY labors such as hauling and other non-skilled stuff on, so when you need something moved it gets done immediately.

There is a utility called Dwarf Therapist that makes reviewing and assigning labors easier, in my opinion. Check it out if you haven't already.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 03:50:16 pm »

You can turn hauling off for a particular dwarf via v►p►l then shift+enter over hauling. Or use Dwarf Therapist if you prefer.

edit:quad ninja'd!

No, skills only rust if they don't use it for a long time, and hauling isn't a skill anyway.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 03:51:06 pm »

If I turn off a labour and re-enable it do my stupid dwarfs forget their skill? Is there any penalty to doing this?
No, skill amounts are remembered in the dwarf. The only bad effect is that if a dwarf doesn't perform a task for a long time (think over a year here) then there skill can start to rust to the point that it actually starts to decay. It only takes a little bit of work to remove skill rust however, so as long as the dwarf performs a job once every year or two you should be fine.

Edit:Ahhh!! Ninja'd! What is with this post?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 03:52:16 pm »

Manager dorf can set priorities of jobs. Unless, of course, he is too busy hauling stone to validate the job orders.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 03:53:51 pm »

if you want a certain work to be done first, dont trust the (J)ob (M)anager. Go to the relevant workshops and manually raise the priority of the works

skill amounts are ALWAYS remembered, but can get rusty
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 03:54:12 pm »

No, the manager can set priority of "orders", such as telling your masons to make those 10 tables before those 10 chairs. He is unable to set overall job priorities, such as telling your dwarves to haul that obsidian instead of making tables out of that wood.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kwikshot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 03:56:14 pm »

Seems like there's no problem with me using Dwarf Therapist then, thanks guys!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 04:39:57 pm »

the therapist is a tool, not a cheat, not nearly even close to it. Yes you can write down every dorf his skills, name and preferences. It will take time, effort and quite a lot of paper. Or get the therapist

on that point, i found that printing the list, does help, especially with finding the "useless skilled" ones. Like lvl 13 cheese making

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 08:18:37 pm »

There's one more bit of advice.  It's kind of a pain, and who knows what kind of chaos it will cause with the rest of your jobs (even with Dwarf Therapist), but you create a burrow where you want something done (a workshop or a construction), then you assign a dwarf to it.

Only problem is, IF YOU FORGET!, your dorf will stay there doing nothing else until they get hungry.

But this ensures a task is done.  It's only recommended for important immediate tasks.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 10:47:01 am »

Hauling doesn't really have a priority. But anything they've been told to do, like build a lever, or connect it, can have it's priority changed by opening the (J)obs list, selecting the job and pressing T. That will bump it to high priority so the next free dwarf with the appropriate labor will do that next.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 11:14:04 am »

I sometimes build a second workshop specifically for high skilled dwarfs.  Then once that's built up, I hone in on the legendary dwarfs and remove their hauling, feeding patients, and duplicate tasks so they spend more time in their specific workstation.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: [1] 2