Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I just broke my Escape key...  (Read 7034 times)

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I just broke my Escape key...
« on: November 07, 2011, 03:12:31 pm »

What do I do now? I cant cancel, save, quit... this is pretty problematic.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

set

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just broke my Escape key...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 03:16:28 pm »

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 03:17:02 pm »

I THINK, that by pressing the help button you can access the key selection/changing thingy, at which you could change the functions of those keys to be the escape key.

now you could also try and bash it harder to see if it works.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 03:18:04 pm »

Borrow another keyboard long enough to save and exit?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 03:21:53 pm »

It's a sign.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 03:27:31 pm »

I THINK, that by pressing the help button you can access the key selection/changing thingy, at which you could change the functions of those keys to be the escape key.

Nope, you have to press escape to get to the key bindings screen. And actually, I tried jamming it real hard. No success.

I guess I'm gonna have to see if I have another keyboard laying around here somewhere... that was probably the worst key to spill coffee on.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 03:28:47 pm »

I guess I'm gonna have to see if I have another keyboard laying around here somewhere... that was probably the worst key to spill coffee on.

When you buy a replacement keyboard, make sure it has a membrane that keeps liquids out. Lots of them have that now days.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 03:29:21 pm »

If you lived anywhere near me, I would give you one of my spares... I have like 3 spare keyboards sitting in my cupboard...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 03:32:06 pm »

When you buy a replacement keyboard, make sure it has a membrane that keeps liquids out. Lots of them have that now days.
There's an idea. It only sucks because it was the laptop keyboard I messed up. Heh. I found one though!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 03:33:46 pm »

I know that macs can send keyboard inputs through the keyboard and character viewer. So you should be able to just un-fullscreen and then use that (or it sounds like there is a windows equivalent) to input the escape key. Then you could see about either getting yourself a new keyboard or rebinding that particular key.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 03:38:30 pm »

I have a friend I wanted to introduce to dwarf fortress, but his escape key didn't work. Going into the keybinding text file in the init folder, you can bind the ESC key to something else.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 03:49:51 pm »

The essence of dwarf tech support:  Hit it harder.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 04:27:15 pm »

Or *Necro you enter here*.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 06:44:52 pm »

Actually, if you take the "esc" button and physically pull it off the keyboard, you can take a look at the "real" button and see if it works when you jab it with a pen or something. Works for me with my keyboards (or the keyboards at school, whichever end up breaking)
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 06:49:54 pm »

Spill coffee on your laptop and the biggest concern is not being able to save dwarf fortress... I envy your spirit and loyalty :)
Pages: [1] 2