Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butcherable goblins  (Read 786 times)

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butcherable goblins
« on: November 07, 2011, 01:04:55 pm »

How do you do it. I used to toss the gobblins down a pit of despair into my magma forge area that would flood with magma, burn away all the impurities and leave just metal, then I'd drain it. But there was a bug where the metal would get "caught" in the glass grates I had in place and were never retrievable. So Id rather toss the goblins into a deep pit and turn them into bolts

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Butcherable goblins
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:08:46 pm »

In entity_default, find the ethic tags under the ENTITY:MOUNTAIN definition, and set EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER, EAT_SAPIENT_KILL, and MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT to ACCEPTABLE. You'll have to gen a new world for the changes to take effect though.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 01:09:33 pm »

To actually be able to butcher goblins, you need to edit your civilization entity raws to make butchering of sentient creatures possible.  This can't be done in an existing world, it requires a regen.

If you drop any creature a long distance (typically 10+ levels) it will break into pieces when it hits the ground.  (This only works on living creatures, not corpses).  Some of the pieces may then rot into piles of bones rather than partial skeletons or skeleton limbs.  The piles of bones can then be used for crafting without needing a change to your civ ethics.

Your problem with the magma wash system can be corrected by draining the magma through floor grates rather than wall grates.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 03:35:11 pm »

From personal experience I've found that even vanilla dwarves are willing to make bolts from naturally-dessicated goblin limbs. If you have a high-enough droptower to tear them limb from limb when they fall to the ground, you can wait for the body parts to turn to bone and the result will be workable by your bone carvers.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:10:44 pm »

Droptower/chute and spikes. I got useable goblin bones so fast.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 06:26:35 pm »

I start with this.
In entity_default, find the ethic tags under the ENTITY:MOUNTAIN definition, and set EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER, EAT_SAPIENT_KILL, and MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT to ACCEPTABLE. You'll have to gen a new world for the changes to take effect though.
Then I generally try to get the goblins in cage traps, to keep them fresh until my butcher is ready.  Then I release them into the arena.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Random_Physics_Nerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 07:41:02 pm »

Would dropping goblins from a high enough position to make them splatter on impact work to desensitize your dwarves if dropped into the main meeting/dining area?

I've only ever heard of it being done with puppies.
Take two magma and call me in the morning.
I was thinking about pumping magma up his legs and having a floodgate in his crotch. What could be more dorfy than pissing magma upon your enemies?

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 07:43:26 pm »

Would dropping goblins from a high enough position to make them splatter on impact work to desensitize your dwarves if dropped into the main meeting/dining area?

I've only ever heard of it being done with puppies.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think it would work.
Make sure to have a good supply!
Ah, doing so many things so quickly...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 07:49:07 pm »

Be aware that a falling creature that lands on another creature will take no damage. Both of them just get stunned. So you might end up with a fully operational battle-goblin in your dining room. Could be fun!

You could put a statue in the drop zone, so that nobody will ever be there. I'm assuming that landing on a statue will cause a splat, but haven't tested it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 08:17:00 pm »

Be aware that a falling creature that lands on another creature will take no damage. Both of them just get stunned. So you might end up with a fully operational battle-goblin in your dining room. Could be fun!

You could put a statue in the drop zone, so that nobody will ever be there. I'm assuming that landing on a statue will cause a splat, but haven't tested it.
Alternatively, dig another pit inside your pit, so pedestrians can't get in, but link it up to a floor hatch so that employees can.
Ala:
Code: [Select]
++++++ Top Floor
+.++#+
++++++

OOOOOO Bottom Floor
O+++^O
OOOOOO
As so.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.