Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Oh Armok, what have I done  (Read 7742 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Armok, what have I done
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 02:27:09 pm »

If you want to have clothed dwarves, you're out of luck. Right now there's a bug that makes it so dwarves don't know how to dress themselves. You could go the military uniform route, but that's a little tedious, I think.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 02:34:52 pm »

Well I for one trade with the elves, they seem to have also spawned in a savage biome, and bring plenty of dangerous animals to my fortress!

~Those animals go into a massive nature reserve I use to train my dwarves.... As well as a goblin army I intend to flush into hell.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 02:42:32 pm »

I traded with elves to get enough cloth to train up my dyers. Got a Grand Master and a Legendary now, along with two Legendary Weavers (!) and two Legendary Clothiers, so now I can Profile the shops to only take those.

Also, I think I made goblins extinct.  Gonna have to find new things to pick fights with now!  ::)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 02:48:05 pm »

I traded with elves to get enough cloth to train up my dyers. Got a Grand Master and a Legendary now, along with two Legendary Weavers (!) and two Legendary Clothiers, so now I can Profile the shops to only take those.

Also, I think I made goblins extinct.  Gonna have to find new things to pick fights with now!  ::)

1. Rope reeds and pig tails guys, it's not that hard to just build a farmer's workshop and a loom :/

2. Breed the Greenskins. BREED THEM ALL I SAY.

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 02:52:24 pm »

If you've got a Legendary Clothier, don't waste his talents on worthless cloth purchased from caravans - train up some Shearers, Weavers/Spinners, Threshers, Millers, and Dyers and start a complete clothing industry and the cloth used by your Clothier will be easily 10 times as valuable as what the Elves are giving you.

I would do this, however, this is Spring of literally my second year. And I have a total of 39 dwarves, who I'm still working with getting the basic fortress laid out. I still need a hospital, and having individual rooms instead of one huge room where everyone  crafts, sleeps, congregates, and idles would probably help too.

Also, this allowed me to get a large amount of goods that I can trade for things that I actually want from the other caravans. True, it's not the same profit as if I were growing it myself, but I prefer to use the other dwarves for things that I actually need. Like making a military to stave off the inevitable goblin siege. Though with  my history, I won't get any siege.
I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 03:28:34 pm »

My friend, you've stumbled onto the most fun industry there is! As others have pointed out, you would do well to invest in a full supply chain devoted to cloth production,  including farming, shearing and, very importantly, dyeing. You will find that there is not much need for elven cloth.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 03:37:48 pm »

A  legendary dwarves clothier buying cloth from elves??!

Three words:

GIANT CAVE SPIDER

Get one.  Keep it safe.  Make cloaks worth the price of an entire elves caravan.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 03:43:12 pm »

Make a GCS silk farm and use the elves for farming, until you open the door and let it greet the elves.
Of course it has to be a wild GCS for this, but it's all part of the ‼FUN‼
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 03:57:13 pm »

You should be ashamed. You ordered microcline.

Just kidding, I like microcline. :)
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 04:09:14 pm »

1. Rope reeds and pig tails guys, it's not that hard to just build a farmer's workshop and a loom :/

2. Breed the Greenskins. BREED THEM ALL I SAY.

1. I did, once I got my fields to not be a total clusterfudge so I could actually grow them reliably. That's how I got my legendary weavers.

2. Well, I can't now, 'cause they're all dead. Once we finish cleaning up the goblinite around, turning it into steel, setting up more 10x Copper Serrated Disc Traps... I dunno, probably crack open a few more caves and go looking for FBs and candy.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 04:15:13 pm »

Honest trading with the elves isn't that bad in my opinion.  Wanting to trade with them for cloth is.  Elves have some pretty good stuff to trade, the least of which being bins of textiles.  If you were looking forward to the elf caravan for war giant lions with which to maul things, that would have been ok.

Personally, I always trade with elves.  They aren't good for anything else, and certainly are not worthy of joining in on Dwarven Olympics.  And by Dwarven Olympics I mean sharing the dwarven cultural pastimes of mangling one another with pointy objects, blunt force trauma, and devious mechanisms.  The humans love partaking in these events, and come back every summer with more metal goodies to wager.  Filthy elf peasants would show up to the event with nothing to wager but useless wood gear and untamable beasties, not very sporting at all.

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 05:57:19 pm »

I'm normally a bit lazy when it comes to digging to magma. I must admit that elves boost my metal industry with all the wood they bring in. But that's partly out of spite.
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 06:04:38 pm »

A  legendary dwarves clothier buying cloth from elves??!

Three words:

GIANT CAVE SPIDER

Get one. Keep it secret. Keep it safe.  Make barrels of venom worth the price of an entire elves caravan.
Fixed that for you.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 06:54:43 pm »

I traded with the elves once. I gave them the gems I found in my map, and the ones I was forced to take from the first dwarven caravan, as well as some of the useless toys and some other crap.

I got from the elves a few bags of surface seeds, a couple of barrels of alcohol, and a single bin of rope reed cloth.

I'm currently making the cloth from the elves and the cloth I was also forced to take from the dwarves into shoes, gloves, socks and mittens to give to the next dwarven caravan.

When the elves come again, I'll have a small military set up. BUT I'm going to wait until the fourth or fifth elven caravan before I decide to piss them off.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 07:01:01 pm »

1.Get Trolls
2. Shave their fur( trolls have fur in DF, I assume its pubic hair)
3. Share with the world.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4