Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Oh Armok, what have I done  (Read 7759 times)

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh Armok, what have I done
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:49:48 am »

I was playing Dwarf Fortress last night when I did something I'm a little ashamed to admit.

In the fall, I had a dwarf get a fey mood, and didn't take up any of my current workshops. Looking through his skills, I noticed he was a Competent clothier, and guessing that that might be it, built one, where he immediately took it and demanded silk. Luck would have it, the dwarven caravan was there at the time, and I didn't anything terribly, so I bought a bin of Cave Spider silk. He made a fairly valuable silk cape, and taking the fact that I had managed to procure it so easily as a good sign, I decided to keep the clothier shop, even though I didn't have any other faric. (I'm still having trouble believing that I actually asked the dwarf liasion to bring microcline.)

Winter blows through, then spring. The elves arrive, arriving on my depot and start unloading. And, as we all know, the elves bring nothing of real value, right? Some caged exotic animals (with an awful lot of injuries), some stupid wood crafts, some useless wood weapons, and about 20 bins of cloth.

It hit me. The elves had nearly 10 bins of Rope reed Cloth. For the first time, I had a legendary clothier (I hadn't bothered with textiles up until now). I experimentally bought a bin of cloth, paid for with some +obsidian tables+ for around 400 DB. I gave it to my clothier, told him to make some shoes and sew images onto them. I was pretty pleased when he managed to turn two pieces of Rope reed Cloth into a ≡<<≡Rope reed Shoe≡>>≡ worth easily 300 DB. I happly bought as much cloth from the elves as I could, paying them with the throwaway obsidian tables my mason was making (I was trying to get a dining room chock full of ≡Obsidian Table≡ and ☼Obsidian Throne☼, which I managed) and some regular obsidian rocks, until they were overburdened with the weight. They left later on, very happy with the trade. My clothier turned the six bins of cloth, worth roughly 400 DB each, into almost 20,000 DB worth of clothing and bags and stuff. I then made note to myself to remember to have plenty of stuff ready to trade to them next year.

And this morning I woke up and realized that I was looking forward to honestly trading with elves.
I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Armok, what have I done
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:58:44 am »

I was playing Dwarf Fortress last night when I did something I'm a little ashamed to admit.

In the fall, I had a dwarf get a fey mood, and didn't take up any of my current workshops. Looking through his skills, I noticed he was a Competent clothier, and guessing that that might be it, built one, where he immediately took it and demanded silk. Luck would have it, the dwarven caravan was there at the time, and I didn't anything terribly, so I bought a bin of Cave Spider silk. He made a fairly valuable silk cape, and taking the fact that I had managed to procure it so easily as a good sign, I decided to keep the clothier shop, even though I didn't have any other faric. (I'm still having trouble believing that I actually asked the dwarf liasion to bring microcline.)

Winter blows through, then spring. The elves arrive, arriving on my depot and start unloading. And, as we all know, the elves bring nothing of real value, right? Some caged exotic animals (with an awful lot of injuries), some stupid wood crafts, some useless wood weapons, and about 20 bins of cloth.

It hit me. The elves had nearly 10 bins of Rope reed Cloth. For the first time, I had a legendary clothier (I hadn't bothered with textiles up until now). I experimentally bought a bin of cloth, paid for with some +obsidian tables+ for around 400 DB. I gave it to my clothier, told him to make some shoes and sew images onto them. I was pretty pleased when he managed to turn two pieces of Rope reed Cloth into a ≡<<≡Rope reed Shoe≡>>≡ worth easily 300 DB. I happly bought as much cloth from the elves as I could, paying them with the throwaway obsidian tables my mason was making (I was trying to get a dining room chock full of ≡Obsidian Table≡ and ☼Obsidian Throne☼, which I managed) and some regular obsidian rocks, until they were overburdened with the weight. They left later on, very happy with the trade. My clothier turned the six bins of cloth, worth roughly 400 DB each, into almost 20,000 DB worth of clothing and bags and stuff. I then made note to myself to remember to have plenty of stuff ready to trade to them next year.

And this morning I woke up and realized that I was looking forward to honestly trading with elves.

Kill them and take their stuff. They're goddamn pussies they only might go to war for that.

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:02:09 pm »

Kill them and take their stuff. They're goddamn pussies they only might go to war for that.

That's the thing though. I don't want to kill them because I want them to bring as much cloth as possible. That way my dwarves can walk around in ☼fur-clad purple coats☼ and with ☼oversized white hats with feathers in them☼.
I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:07:30 pm »

Well if you can find a way to make this whole trading with elves deal kill something then it's probably acceptable.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:31:56 pm »

Well if you can find a way to make this whole trading with elves deal kill something then it's probably acceptable.

It'd have to be a pretty spectacular death to make up for it though.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:33:13 pm »

It'd have to be a pretty spectacular death to make up for it though.
Or just make it kill alot of things at once, or flood the world with lava. something exceedingly dorfy.

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:45:16 pm »

Carve enclosure, rebuild trade depot out of steel or some such material inside enclosure. Make sure the privacy doors are installed. Assign legendary clothier as new broker. When he goes to greet the elves and assess trade values for cloth, pull the lever. In his final moments, the legendary clothier will be more dorfy than he ever was.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 01:24:08 pm »

Be warned, exploding your fort's value like that is giving the goblins a big neon sign.

But hey, you wanted to kill things, right?

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 01:26:44 pm »

I lost it there. Well played.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 01:41:21 pm »

I don't think it's that big a deal, really.

Dwarves are fond of production and industry.

A race has something that will benefit their production and industry.

The dwarves have mountains of those crafts and creations that they are so famous for available for export.

I'm not really seeing the problem here.

If they were refusing to trade with you, or demanding an unreasonably high profit for their goods, I could see how slightly more aggressive may be necessary, but other than that...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 01:48:03 pm »

IMMEDIATE CLEANSING IS REQUIRED!

PURGE BY MAGMA!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 01:49:25 pm »

Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 02:03:03 pm »

I don't think it's that big a deal, really.

Dwarves are fond of production and industry.

A race has something that will benefit their production and industry.

The dwarves have mountains of those crafts and creations that they are so famous for available for export.

I'm not really seeing the problem here.

If they were refusing to trade with you, or demanding an unreasonably high profit for their goods, I could see how slightly more aggressive may be necessary, but other than that...

I'm with this.  The elves are useful to you, as I have a fort that depends on wood import even *with* an active tree farm and this wants every caravan it can get.  As long as elves remain useful to the fortress, they get to be on the list of "things to not kill".  The biggest problem with elves is that they are all too often peaceful, useless, and annoying.  I have a feeling I'll be slaughtering them much more often when their diplomats come back, but I trade entirely in rock crafts and want to keep my bins, so I have little to no problems with them in the current version of the game.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 02:06:33 pm »

The increase in goblin blood will surely make up for the decrease in dead elves. If you've modded the kobolds to keep them from starving horribly, they'll probably come in massive waves of ambushers as well.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 02:11:21 pm »

If you've got a Legendary Clothier, don't waste his talents on worthless cloth purchased from caravans - train up some Shearers, Weavers/Spinners, Threshers, Millers, and Dyers and start a complete clothing industry and the cloth used by your Clothier will be easily 10 times as valuable as what the Elves are giving you.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4