Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are fortifications safe from building destroyers?  (Read 4605 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are fortifications safe from building destroyers?
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:46:41 am »

The wiki didn't specify as far as i could tell.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Are fortifications safe from building destroyers?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:00:34 pm »

built ones are constructions, so yes. engraved ones are just there, so yes.

in summation: yes.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:02:29 pm »

Building destroyers can't destroy fortifications, so the fortifications themselves are safe.  This doesn't necessarily mean that fortifications will keep your dwarves safe.  Fortifications which are completely submerged in water offer no protection - creatures will swim right through them.  I also think, though I'm not sure, that flying forgotten beasts made of mist or smoke can pass right through fortifications.  Of course, fireballs or other projectiles, or vapor/smoke/dust attacks, will also pass right through fortifications.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:09:06 pm »

Fortifications offer any kind of protection?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:16:36 pm »

Fortifications offer any kind of protection?
Enemies can't get through unless it's completely submerged. Also it takes skilled marks[race] to fire through them at a distance, while your dorfs right next to it can fire like the happy bearded morons they are.

I believe it doesn't do much again dragonfire though. Or syndrome dust. I haven't personally tested that though

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:20:15 pm »

Building destroyers can't destroy fortifications, so the fortifications themselves are safe.  This doesn't necessarily mean that fortifications will keep your dwarves safe.  Fortifications which are completely submerged in water offer no protection - creatures will swim right through them.  I also think, though I'm not sure, that flying forgotten beasts made of mist or smoke can pass right through fortifications.  Of course, fireballs or other projectiles, or vapor/smoke/dust attacks, will also pass right through fortifications.

I never noticed that and felt quite safe with my water channels. Can someone clarify:
Do creatures path through submerged fortifications?

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:31:57 pm »

If they swim they might. But I'm not sure. I mean, if you have goblins riding giant toads or something attacking you, i think you'd be better off with the entire siege jumping into your water channel then anything else

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:34:26 pm »

I never noticed that and felt quite safe with my water channels. Can someone clarify:

Hard to say.  The thing is, submerged tiles are marked as blocked for purposes of pathfinding.  Creatures won't path through water to get to a destination, even if they can swim.  Wandering creatures that can swim will however path through water as they wander around, however, and this wandering seems to ignore fortifications.  So I suspect that creatures won't deliberately travel into your fort through fortifications, but if they happen to randomly wander in submerged fortifications won't stop them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 12:38:05 pm »

Yes.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »

Swimmers in liquid can swim through fortifications submerged to 7/7 of that liquid.  this can be especially important if you were relying on some fortifications to keep your magma reservoir magma-crab and magma-man free: it won't work if the fortification fills to 7/7.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 03:08:04 pm »

I've never seen creatures willingly path through fortifications.  I have however seen creatures and objects pushed through by pressure.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 03:38:38 pm »

I had an interesting experience with fortifications and water yesterday. I had a training room with fortifications on one side:
Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWW
X......W
X......D
X......W
W......W
W......W
W......W
W......W
W######W
W......D
WWWWWWWW

W = Wall
. = Floor
D = Door
# = Fortification
X - Floodgate

I had marksdwarves behind the fortifications and cages full of trolls, thieves, etc in the main room. I then flooded the whole thing to 4/7 of water. It never got up to 7/7 at all, since it was flooding from an adjacent room, not from above. Both doors were locked before I flooded it, but several of my marksdwarves and dogs got washed through the fortifications into the main room.

So it doesn't require 7/7 of water to push a creature through fortifications. They were moving through even before it was up to 4/7. I was very annoyed, because I really wanted to combine swimming training with archery training.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 04:35:41 am »

OK, I think a fortress can live with an occasional sneaking in via flooded fortifications. An alarm system would be nice - a shame that we have no sound. A good bell and pressure plate would be very fine to guard far away corridors.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 06:21:59 am »

I really wanted to combine swimming training with archery training.

Try with grates. or double grates!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 07:29:07 pm »

I really wanted to combine swimming training with archery training.

Try with grates. or double grates!

Grates/Bars don't work either, even when they are several tiles thick. A flowing liquids, even a shallow one, can still push a dwarf through. I too attempted to have a swimming training set-up, and it failed when I noticed that someone starved to death because he was trapped in the sewers.

Ultimately, the best way to train swimming is to use the pond activity zone to partly fill a small channeled-out dip in a main hallway.

Edit - Actually, I think I may be wrong, I haven't testes wall grates yet. Will get on that, for !!SCIENCE!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:32:28 pm by AWellTrainedFerret »
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.
Pages: [1] 2