Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting an open source project  (Read 586 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting an open source project
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:36:15 am »

I have tons of fleshed out ideas for all kinds of games, but the internet is full of "idea guys" who have great plans and need help to get them done. I have some skills, but making a skeleton of a game is still a huge project and so unlikely to attract help that I have depressed myself further by trying in vain.

After posting my latest dream project to "Games you wish existed" thread, I'm again interested in getting something done, especially since the engine part is already finished. Still, I have no idea where or how to attract a team, nor how to organize it without alienating everyone by making it seem like "someone wants to get leadership experience for a project management job."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Starting an open source project
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 09:51:06 am »

I think you might want to pm or email guys who are carrying out simmilar iniciatives for their thoughts. Whales, in the "Other Games" Cataclysm thread, for instance. Perhaps get in touch with the developers of some of the more famous open source things? (eg Wesnoth)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:41:06 am »

Keep building it and they will come, providing it's any good that is ;D
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:21:01 pm »

I think its pretty hard to get other people interested in helping with your game ideas unless:

A)  You are a programmer and already have a good start.  (As in you have a 0.1 that actually runs and things happen)
B)  You are an artist and have a lot of the graphics done.
C)  You are rich and can afford to pay someone to do it.   :P

Everybody has a lot of ideas of their own, so they tend to be thinking "Why should I listen to this guy instead of making my own dream game?"
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:53:27 pm »

One thing that might help is breaking down the project into tiny tasks.  Even just breaking .01 into subtasks, so you can know when you've hit .01

1) If you can do that, it means you've got a functional plan, and you can talk that up. People will be more interested.
2) You can do the tiny tasks yourself.  Enough incremental progress adds up to visible progress, and you can advertise visible progress to attract more contributors.
3) Tiny tasks can be handed off to others. You could just post a tiny task somewhere visible and hope someone grabs it, or find somebody who's interested and ask them for help.  Usually people are flattered to be asked for help, but then you have are greater need to accommodate what they choose to do.

Do you have an open repository and/or website to send interested people to? 

Also, how are you going to track your outreach efforts? I.e., which forums are you going to maintain regular threads in, how do you want to frame your project description, etc.  There's a ton of guides on how to get grass-roots enthusiasm and market products, that's basically what you need to do.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.