Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 827345 times)

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25)
« Reply #2700 on: June 23, 2012, 09:10:34 pm »

And the Hellcannon was SUPPOSED to be finished, but...

...you forgot to take into account just which fortress you built it in.

I could probably build the next fortress a functional cannon of some sort.  Or at least something that will keep visitors off the front lawn and in a bloody heap.
Keep in mind, the next fort will probably be in 34.11, unless this one somehow manages to last until the next version (probably 35.01, considering all the major changes Toady is planning to make). So killing the invaders/elves won't be the problem. It will be making them stay dead.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: June 23, 2012, 09:17:16 pm »

I realized something. Should Hellcannon struggle to stay alive undead mostly intact in it's normal state of near-death for long enough, we may end up not making a fort in the 0.34.X versions. Which would be wierd, considering how Aluonra has been around since the earliest versions of DF2010.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: June 23, 2012, 09:23:34 pm »

And the Hellcannon was SUPPOSED to be finished, but...

...you forgot to take into account just which fortress you built it in.

I could probably build the next fortress a functional cannon of some sort.  Or at least something that will keep visitors off the front lawn and in a bloody heap.
Keep in mind, the next fort will probably be in 34.11, unless this one somehow manages to last until the next version (probably 35.01, considering all the major changes Toady is planning to make). So killing the invaders/elves won't be the problem. It will be making them stay dead.

You say this like it increases the challenge in some way.  I have ideas and plans for automatic zombie pits, magma curtains, and a dozen minor projects that generally constitute dwarven warcrimes.  All I ask is the next fortress site have an aquifer to pour my foul abominations of technology

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: June 23, 2012, 09:27:56 pm »

I think our biggest problem next fort will be keeping the dead dead. I mean how often does a dwarf die in one of these forts. And how often do they die inside the fort? We'll either need a crematorium or a big pit.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: June 23, 2012, 09:31:07 pm »

I think our biggest problem next fort will be keeping the dead dead. I mean how often does a dwarf die in one of these forts. And how often do they die inside the fort? We'll either need a crematorium or a big pit.

An average of about one dwarf every three months, barring !!FUN!!  You really want a fort that's only on a site with some haunted tiles, rather than the full area if you want to survive longer than a year.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: June 23, 2012, 09:35:23 pm »

An average of about one dwarf every three months, barring !!FUN!!  You really want a fort that's only on a site with some haunted tiles, rather than the full area if you want to survive longer than a year.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Also arcangelsd, you are not allowed to kill the fort until .35 comes out.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: June 23, 2012, 09:41:10 pm »

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Indeed. We will do whatever it takes to survive in a 100% evil zombyifing embark. Maybe if we store a vampire in a completely sealed area...

I'm looking forward to see what horrors we shall spawn with the new zombies, husks, vampires and werecreatures. (Potential bone block factory with that last one)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: June 23, 2012, 10:21:02 pm »

Speaking of arcangelsd, where is he? I'm gonna go PM him.

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: June 24, 2012, 06:58:39 am »

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, YOU FOOL

Let's say that it nearly happened ok?

After-action report, from Ghostly overseer Arcangelsd
   You’d never think I would say that, but since we had the fantastic idea of getting Kar Puwuncobi into the danger room, life in HellCannon has been… boring. I mean, not the life I remember, full of threats and perils, but… peaceful. Hell, a Demon, A DEMON! A legendary creature of chaos and destruction! Well, it popped up in the first caver level a few months ago, and Kar just went and chopped it up. It was so goddamn anticlimactic, that I refused to look again at the fortress for entire weeks. But there was still a thing that brought me back: The Hall of Spite. Tha beautiful place, full to the brim of levers… My precious. I’m making some much needed modifications to the design. Still, I can’t bring myself to pull them. But I will. Someday. I will.

In the meantime, I have been observing a polar bear getting increasingly intoxicated with all the booze that is currently lying outside the fortress. And More FBs appearing. And Ledi getting adopted by cats. This is stupid.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:07:19 am by arcangelsd »
Did we just made reality itself commit suicide?
I think that sentence describes all of Failcannon.

Dinjoralo

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% more pronounceable than the leading brand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: June 26, 2012, 09:58:55 pm »

Hello, I've gotten into the Battlefailed saga quite recently (Today, in fact) and I was wondering, how does the dorfing process work? It seems like this fort is still ongoing to some degree, albeit paused to wait for the next semi-large update. Sorry if I'm not up to date, all I know was that hell was breached and we're apparently waiting for .35

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: June 26, 2012, 10:05:22 pm »

If you want to be dorfed, post a request in the format shown in the list in Post 3. When a fitting dwarf shows up, it will be renamed with the name you have chosen. Feel free to roleplay as that dwarf.

Hellcannon is ongoing, and if The Master's turn has taught us anything, it will always be ongoing. The fort isn't really paused, but, according to arcangelsd, nothing significant is happening, so he hasn't been updating much. The comments about waiting for .35 were mostly joking, since .34 may be the first major release that hasn't had a Battlefailed fort since the saga began if Hellcannon doesn't end soon.

Dinjoralo

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% more pronounceable than the leading brand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: June 27, 2012, 07:03:34 am »

Alright then!
Dinjoralo - Mining or Engraving - Title of "Woodpecker Butthole" - Gender doesn't matter

Now, back to reading Battlefailed.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:12:46 pm by Dinjoralo »

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: June 27, 2012, 07:13:55 am »

Now, back to reading Battlefailed.

Good... We have captured another one...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: June 27, 2012, 07:45:59 am »

The thought occurs;  our Glorious Presidente is bugged so he generates a corpse and keeps going when he dies, yeah?  What's going to happen when/if he dies of old age?... Will he leave a never-ending trail of corpses with every step?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: June 27, 2012, 08:21:01 am »

I would think the game would slow to a crawl as it generates a corpse per death check, so every frame or so. D:

Assuming it's convoluted like most community forts, I'd say the FPS will sit at about 15-20, so Kar will be dying of old age about 15 times a second.

15 Corpse-Per-Second.

This will be hilarious, if Hellcannon survives long enough.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 208