Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 827847 times)

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25)
« Reply #2325 on: May 02, 2012, 02:55:19 pm »

With everything else we've managed to break, you don't think we could manage to reset the universe?

Ye of little faith.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: May 02, 2012, 03:02:54 pm »

...to decide to go want to do look more like...

Are you suggesting taking the elevation from this iteration and tweaking it?

Not all version upgrades needs a cosmic reset. In this case, all the new features could be chalked up to a couple thousand years of time passing. The dark creatures, mists, and rain could be due to continued unchecked corruption from the foul one and dwarven tech simply could have advanced in the meanwhile as well to explain the rest.

Granted, that is all considering if the story continues along the same meta-plot thread.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: May 02, 2012, 04:41:03 pm »

...to decide to go want to do look more like...

Are you suggesting taking the elevation from this iteration and tweaking it?

Not all version upgrades needs a cosmic reset. In this case, all the new features could be chalked up to a couple thousand years of time passing. The dark creatures, mists, and rain could be due to continued unchecked corruption from the foul one and dwarven tech simply could have advanced in the meanwhile as well to explain the rest.

Granted, that is all considering if the story continues along the same meta-plot thread.

Well, considering that Hellcannon takes place meta-plot-wise after the cosmic reset of Failday, it's certainly not unprecedented. It's pretty much up to how we feel when Hellcannon falls that will determine how the story continues.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: May 02, 2012, 06:57:55 pm »

Well, considering that Hellcannon takes place meta-plot-wise after the cosmic reset of Failday, it's certainly not unprecedented. It's pretty much up to how we feel when Hellcannon falls that will determine how the story continues.

Yeah, true. But Failday had a pretty decent set-up and a good deal of build up. I'm not sure anyone will want to build a massive fractile grave site and set the whole thing to collapse in on itself again...  Plus, a magician never does the same trick twice. So if we are going to reset this world, we are going to need something huge... something crazy... and most of all... dorfy.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:36 pm »

Yeah, true. But Failday had a pretty decent set-up and a good deal of build up. I'm not sure anyone will want to build a massive fractile grave site and set the whole thing to collapse in on itself again...  Plus, a magician never does the same trick twice. So if we are going to reset this world, we are going to need something huge... something crazy... and most of all... dorfy.

That has never been a problem for us. Remember, it *is* Catalyst's turn.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: May 02, 2012, 08:01:52 pm »

But remember: it took two turns to get failday ready. Eric started the digging.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: May 02, 2012, 10:39:02 pm »

Why can't we just handwave it? Say a new fort was founded a few miles away and pretend nothing happened.
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:31 pm »

That has never been a problem for us. Remember, it *is* Catalyst's turn.

No pressure :P

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: May 04, 2012, 01:29:33 am »

The secret project progresses apace.  Those bridges you see on three sides are each linked to a single lever - when one goes up, the other goes down - thus the chamber will be accessible from one side only at any given time.  Inside each chamber is a single rope, so an animal can be left as bait.  The purpose of this will become clear in time.  The central chamber is the control chamber - being filled with food, booze and other survival materials - as well as where the lever controls are being installed.  The outer hallway winds slowly down into the earth.

Hitting the damn aquifer, though, is a frustration I would have preferred not to deal with, better engineers than I have left notes on how to proceed, and after a few abortive attempts, I think I am making progress.

I am not alone in this endeavor - the Overseers who have come before me have left their guidance as well, even if not written on paper blueprints, their designs and ambitions still resonate in these halls.  I will see them brought to fruition...  Oh my yes.  I dare say the very purpose of Hellcannon itself will be fulfilled soon...

Lest you think I have been neglecting the fortress as a whole, I will have you know that in addition to correcting the hospital situation by assigning our resident doctors + two dedicated helpers to the best-equipped hospital space we have, I have also been implementing a minor project to keep our militia in fighting shape.  As you can see from the diagram below...

Spoiler: Fun Pits (click to show/hide)
The Fun Pits can be used to provide superb training opportunities right in the comfort of the fortress!  Of course... there seem to be a few kinks in the system.  I'm honestly not quite sure what happened but when I sent for a skelk or two for our first trial...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I never thought I'd say this, but Failcannon really had better occupational safety standards.

Anyway, the military got their training, one way or another.

Now, what on earth is this thing that seems to have joined in the fight?
Spoiler: Oh. (click to show/hide)

Where on earth did we get this menagerie, anyway?  In any case, the militia did their job admirably.

Shortly thereafter, however, panic resumed.  One fighter was on the scene... but sadly was quickly overwhelmed.

When the others arrived, the threat was again quelled, but not before the forts most venerable cheesemaker, Strategia, was cornered and gored to death.  Training was cancelled for the rest of the day.

Deathsword left some delightful artwork in my chambers.  It leads me to believe the former mayor may not have been entirely popular...  It's flattering to know I'm welcome, but seriously guys, I need to SLEEP here.

Spoiler: Migrants! (click to show/hide)
We had a couple of new arrivals, who miraculously managed to make it inside the fort in one piece no less.  That, and one birth, minus the two deaths, puts the total current population at 34.  (Is anyone in need of re-dorfing?)

A while later, some elves showed up to trade.  They were not nearly so lucky as the migrants, and were ambushed by goblins from no less than three directions.  There is something deeply ironic about an elf being filled with arrows by a goblin.

Now, in order to delve deeper and complete our new projects, I had told the population to ignore previous burrows orders.  This had worked out marvelously until pointy-eared tree lovers showed up to get perforated and drop baskets full of their flowery hippy socks.  Before I knew what was happening, everybody was outside the bloody fort for some reason trying to gather the dropped goods!

I don't need to tell you, this was a bad thing.

However, by some small miracle I don't understand, everyone listened when I forbade them to touch the dropped goods, and ordered them to again retreat to burrows.  Every soul in the fort rushed back inside - and the goblins were far enough behind that we didn't take so much as an injury.  I never would have dreamed it could go so well.

I return my attention now to the project - the broadest strokes are beginning to take shape.  I only hope I can settle the more intricate details before this opportunity is wrested from me by force or misfortune, by the machinations of mortals, Gods, or Led... or by the jealousies, or fear, of lesser minds.  Already I hear them mutter amongst themselves - some may suspect my true purpose.  I may need to take matters into my own hands - or if it comes to it - silence a few dissenting voices along the way.

Whatever else, it must be completed.

Catalyst out.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 01:35:13 am by CatalystParadox »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: May 04, 2012, 01:43:40 am »

I am not alone in this endeavor - the Overseers who have come before me have left their guidance as well, even if not written on paper blueprints, their designs and ambitions still resonate in these halls.  I will see them brought to fruition...  Oh my yes.  I dare say the very purpose of Hellcannon itself will be fulfilled soon...

Uh-oh, I think he means to finish your Checkerboard, Mego.

Catalyst, if you want something to do with that aquifer, you could turn it into an Aquifer Battery and the fort would never want for mechanical power ever again.

Dark_T_Zeratul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: May 04, 2012, 01:53:13 am »

Where on earth did we get this menagerie, anyway?
Various caravans, whether by barter, theft, or picking up after their horrible massacre.
The miasma caused Sethrist to go miserable and throw a tantrum. During the tantrum he mauled a dog to near-death and that caused his mood to go all the way up to content. Apparently, beating the crap out of dogs is the best way to achieve happiness.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: May 04, 2012, 07:29:53 am »

Uh-oh, I think he means to finish your Checkerboard, Mego.

It's the most viable way to get ammo for the Hellcannon.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: May 05, 2012, 12:54:53 am »

Just a quick update.

Work is continuing on the great Project quite nicely, and though I have managed to locate this "Checkerboard" my predecessors spoke of, I cannot fathom its use.  I have already devised my own system, which grows nearer and nearer to readiness - we will see if the Checkerboard can be integrated someday - perhaps the combined result will be even greater than either Mego or I imagined.

Spring has grown into summer, and the summer has stretched long and relatively peaceful.  Aside from a few meaningless rumblings in the deep, (and of course the endless combat reports from the fort's enormous cat population fighting each other - some of them have so much combat experience they seem to have actually earned bloody titles) months have passed without incident, allowing us to focus on our work.

Things have been so promising, in fact, I led a small team out to hastily complete the topside work necessary for the Great Project.  We were almost finished when we had our first brush with the local wild-dead.  Aussie and I made our getaway by dashing south, turning wide, then making for the traps in the hills.  He's a quick one - in thought and on his feet - I am most impressed.  The Skelks followed him to their doom and we got away easily.

Thinking we were safe, we returned to our work - but it was the next day that they came back in much greater numbers... and it would seem I cannot navigate around the exterior of this place.  Even as I approached the trapped entrance and could have made it inside I veered away foolishly, panic having overridden my sense.  Soon, I was surrounded...

------

... so, tune in next time :-D

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: May 05, 2012, 03:16:13 am »

Work is continuing on the great Project quite nicely, and though I have managed to locate this "Checkerboard" my predecessors spoke of, I cannot fathom its use.  I have already devised my own system, which grows nearer and nearer to readiness - we will see if the Checkerboard can be integrated someday - perhaps the combined result will be even greater than either Mego or I imagined.

Well this can't be good...
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 208