Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's up with caravans scoffing at 2000 range profit margins?  (Read 3362 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's up with caravans scoffing at 2000 range profit margins?
« on: November 06, 2011, 11:05:42 pm »

I'd expect such behavior from elves, maybe humans, but dwarves too? So much for brotherhood

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with caravans scoffing at 2000 range profit margins?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:08:32 pm »

Well, if you're asking for 200,000 worth of goods, that's a pretty small profit margin.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:08:53 pm »

Well imagine it.  How would you feel if you had trekked all the way to some armpit-of-the-world fortress, only to get a 2k db profit margin?  While occasionally being attacked by ambush parties, wild animals and the like?

Mechanics wise, I think if their profit margin doesn't eclipse a certain value, they get pissy depending on the quantity of items you take no matter what their profit margin actually is.

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 11:10:42 pm »

Our fortunes rise and fall together. To be specific, we believe ours should rise and yours should fall.

I suppose that if they really want to insist on such a high profit margin, just give them what they want. At an approximate price of 2 Uristbucks for 7/7 water, you owe them 1000 squares of water. Make sure you give it to them all at once, it's impolite to delay payment.

Jaredus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 11:14:02 pm »

I feel like it's only certain goods that I have trouble like that with. For instance I have that trouble with prepared meals, but never crafts, even rock crafts.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:03:19 am »

I feel like it's only certain goods that I have trouble like that with. For instance I have that trouble with prepared meals, but never crafts, even rock crafts.

There is something about the weight-to-value ratio when it comes to trading, but I'm to sleep deprived to remember exactly what right now.

Otherwise, traders seem more or less predictable in their behaviour: If they turn X profit one year, they won't be happy with getting less the following year - even if they have nothing of interest to offer (lookin' at you here, elves). I love getting snarked at by my liaison for not buying anything. Well, maybe if you brought more of the stuff I actually asked for...otherwise, get back to me when I can actually unravel all those socks you bring.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:05:16 am by Virodhi »
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:54:52 am »

2000 is a nice profit, if you're only buying 4000 worth of stuff. But if you're buying 20000 in goods, a 2000 profit is pretty tight. I usually give 1.5 times as much as I'm buying, and that makes the traders ecstatic most of the time. I know I could get by with less, but I usually have so much crap to get rid of that I'm just glad they can carry it all. The first dwarven caravan is usually the only one that I can't buy out.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:59:26 am »

Masterwork. Iron. Bolts.

Sells for 3000 db for every 25 bolts.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 01:14:43 am »

Our fortunes rise and fall together. To be specific, we believe ours should rise and yours should fall.

I suppose that if they really want to insist on such a high profit margin, just give them what they want. At an approximate price of 2 Uristbucks for 7/7 water, you owe them 1000 squares of water. Make sure you give it to them all at once, it's impolite to delay payment.

No, no, no, magma is much more compact for travel. You can give them 2000 squares of magma for the same price as the water! Be generous, they did just turn up your offer, since they had the foresight to predict your need of those several hundred stone mugs!
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 02:25:28 am »

candy spears. in at least one fort I had, I had tons of candy. huge underground spire of the stuff. so I would make equipment for all my fighters, then a few decorations, and then Id churn out 5 or 6 spears. the spears when they we masterwork go for about... 105,000 DB you can trade for everything a caravan has for a single candy spear. by the end of that forts lifetime, the dwarves were all decked out in foreign jewels and they were using elven crafts to fuel their hearths. every child had golden trinkets brought from the mountainhomes, every wife had silver and platinum finery, and every husband could enjoy a mug of the finest booze from all over after a hard days work, putting his feet up on a nether-cap footstool and whiling away the hours thinking on subjects such as art, literature, and !!SCIENCE!!. unfortunately, I got worried about the spire I was digging from and decided to move to another one. a single strike of the pick, and the circus came to town, they brought all the jugglers, clowns, the bearded lady, and the dog faced boy. ah, good times... anyways, what Im trying to get at is, always have a few spare candy spears on hand.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 05:01:17 am »

Masterwork. Iron. Bolts.

Sells for 3000 db for every 25 bolts.

Whats this iron you speak of?

Seriously, I havent seen iron in my embarks in ages.  ::)
Stone crafts are so easy to abuse in trade, just put every idling beekeeper and fish dissector to churn out rock salt earrings and mugs and you've broken the trading system. One bin of crafts nets 1-3k dorfbucks.

EDIT: But yeah, how big percentage is this 2k of the total value of stuff being traded?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:05:37 am by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:47:46 am »

candy spears. in at least one fort I had, I had tons of candy. huge underground spire of the stuff. so I would make equipment for all my fighters, then a few decorations, and then Id churn out 5 or 6 spears. the spears when they we masterwork go for about... 105,000 DB you can trade for everything a caravan has for a single candy spear. by the end of that forts lifetime, the dwarves were all decked out in foreign jewels and they were using elven crafts to fuel their hearths. every child had golden trinkets brought from the mountainhomes, every wife had silver and platinum finery, and every husband could enjoy a mug of the finest booze from all over after a hard days work, putting his feet up on a nether-cap footstool and whiling away the hours thinking on subjects such as art, literature, and !!SCIENCE!!. unfortunately, I got worried about the spire I was digging from and decided to move to another one. a single strike of the pick, and the circus came to town, they brought all the jugglers, clowns, the bearded lady, and the dog faced boy. ah, good times... anyways, what Im trying to get at is, always have a few spare candy spears on hand.

0.0 hey what are 'candy spears'?

urick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 08:52:55 am »

+1 to khearn. 50% profit and thanks for hauling the Xxtroll fur capesxX.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 09:02:20 am »

Honestly, I usually just deconstruct the depot for my first caravan, as I'm not terribly concerned with trading at that point. By the next one, though, I've generally got enough stuff to trade for what I actually want.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 09:48:55 am »

Candy is the finest metal that exists. That's why it's called candy.
Pages: [1] 2 3