Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: A question about religion.  (Read 6700 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: A question about religion.
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 10:36:52 pm »

Dude, down this path lies madness.
Don't you think that's hubris of the incalculable sort?

(sorry, I had to do it)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 10:41:46 pm »

He gave us free will. Free will means that we have the ability to choose to do anything we wish to do.
That means we have the choice to do what is evil. To break the relationship between you and God.
Does this mean that religion thinks god doesn't think before he acts or that he doesn't really care if you screw your life over or wants you to suffer?
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 10:43:02 pm »

He gave us free will. Free will means that we have the ability to choose to do anything we wish to do.
That means we have the choice to do what is evil. To break the relationship between you and God.
Does this mean that religion thinks god doesn't think before he acts or that he doesn't really care if you screw your life over or wants you to suffer?
No. He wants you to have true joy, and that means you must be able to choose not to have it.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 10:44:47 pm »

Do people actually have true joy with religion?
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 10:46:41 pm »

My pastor has been through terrible times in his long life before he found Christ; he remains one of the happiest people I know.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 10:47:20 pm »

Well, if you want the 'hard data' as it were, surveys show that clergy have the highest rate of happiness in America, for example.

I'd also say that they're not merely referring to life on Earth, in the Church Militant, but to heaven, in the Church Triumphant.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 10:48:14 pm »

Well, if you want the 'hard data' as it were, surveys show that clergy have the highest rate of happiness in America, for example.

I'd also say that they're not merely referring to life on Earth, in the Church Militant, but to heaven, in the Church Triumphant.
Sometimes I forget to make the distinction, I need to remember that.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 10:48:31 pm »

I don't really consider "Hypocrite" to be as serious of a character flaw as most people make it out to be.

It is one of those terms I think people overhype as "EVIL!" but that simply represents the limitation of being a human being.

It's considered a flaw because if people held themselves to the same standards as they hold others, the world would probably be a better place. Also, I don't think it's a limitation, I just think we need a lot of vigilance to catch ourselves being hypocrites.

You'd need to define true joy to know.
Love, scriver~

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 10:50:22 pm »

What is true joy?

Why are there places of religious worship?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 10:51:31 pm »

Why are you trying to make us do your hard legwork?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2011, 10:52:16 pm »

You can't really make the distinction of "true joy" and "false joy", but people can find joy in just about anything. This says little about religion itself, as people will find joy in it just as often as they would find joy in being drunk and violent.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 10:52:55 pm »

What is true joy?

This is one of those things you have to answer yourself ;)
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2011, 10:55:28 pm »

Also, I don't think it's a limitation, I just think we need a lot of vigilance to catch ourselves being hypocrites.

I put the vast majority of hypocriticism into two categories

1) It is easier to know why YOU failed to do something then someone else. It is in a similar avenue of how people can easily hire family members inspite of a flawed resume... because they can fill in the gaps.
2) Saying people shouldn't do bad things even though you do them yourself while still recognising it as a flaw.

In the case for the second. Hypocrit is in fact a virtue and not a flaw. In the first it is that knowing others is difficult.

People believe being a hypocrit is a HUGE character flaw when really it is a minor one at best. In fact it seems like the reason hypocrits are considered "EVIL" is because people don't like being preached to and will find any flaw to object to it.

It's considered a flaw because if people held themselves to the same standards as they hold others, the world would probably be a better place

They do. That is the thing about Hypocrits. They RARELY believe they are themselves above what they preach. It is just a difference in information.

It is like "EVIL" people. They rarely believe they are "EVIL" even if their cackles cause lightning to fall.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2011, 10:55:59 pm »

Quote from: the quote button isn't working for me right now. aaargh.
Christian point of view: Oh he cares, all right. It makes him very unhappy when we do what's wrong, but he still loves us. The whole 'Jesus dying on the cross' thing was to allow us to turn back to doing what's right IF we want. If we don't accept the gift, we still suffer the punishment that was going to happen to EVERYONE (not just those who don't accept the forgiveness) before he came ans sacrificed himself in his place.

Humanity disobeyed. We deserve eternal torment. God came down in human form, and committed absolutely no wrong, but accepted all the punishment that those who did do wrong would have suffered, thereby allowing the wrongdoers the chance of being acquitted of all charges, if they accept it and cease doing wrong. That isn't to say that you are immediately and permanently sent back to punishment if you stray, because you have infinite chances to accept the forgiveness. EDIT: That's Mercy and Grace, for you.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:06:15 pm by hubris_incalculable »
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2011, 11:18:42 pm »

What is true joy?

Joy is true joy. Eat a tasty biscuit, hear a funny joke, inject heroin or sing together at a church. It's just a simple emotion. "True" is an useless adjective.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6