Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The worlds most massive cave in  (Read 1937 times)

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The worlds most massive cave in
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:53:26 pm »

I was bored, so I went down to layer -50, mined the entire map out for that layer, then channeled down the sides of the map, except for one spot. I then burrowed my dwarves to be huddled safely away in layer -52, and told one sacrificial guy to go mine that last block. The resulting cave in froze DF for about 7 minutes, after which amazingly enough the suicide dwarf was completely unharmed, and now the surface of my world was 50 layers lower than before.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Re: The worlds most massive cave in
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:56:07 pm »

Very Dwarfy, indeed.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:00:34 pm »

screenshots?
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:06:18 pm »

A save from just before?

Also, if you don't have a question, you should move this to df dwarf mode discussion
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:13:10 pm by BullDog »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 08:47:49 pm »

The resulting cave in froze DF for about 7 minutes, after which amazingly enough the suicide dwarf was completely unharmed, and now the surface of my world was 50 layers lower than before.

It should have been one layer lower than before.  Cave-ins don't destroy solid rock, they just drop it.  I suspect you are making this up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 04:53:39 am »

Really? Because everytime I have had a cave in it completely destroyed ANYthing that was unsupported.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 04:57:25 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that edge tiles cannot be channeled or ramped, only smoothed and/or fortified.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:27:04 am »

Really? Because everytime I have had a cave in it completely destroyed ANYthing that was unsupported.
Constructions deconstruct during cave-ins.  Natural stone floors are destroyed, but un-dug walls made of natural terrain fall but remain intact.  If you actually dropped 50 layers of solid stone and it was completely destroyed somehow, upload a save or post a movie or screenshots, since that's not the way DF has worked in the past.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 10:22:48 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that edge tiles cannot be channeled or ramped, only smoothed and/or fortified.
This is also true. In order to therefore cause a cave-in a z-level -50, you would need to dig a "frame" hole 1 tile away from the edges of the map all of the way down to z-level 50 in order to allow the area to be unsupported. And trust me, this is a lot of work, even in a smaller map. I know because I've tried it before.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 07:50:16 am »

Then the OP is telling pig tails.

I hereby declare this thread:

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 01:14:21 pm »

I agree with sphalerite, does not make sense.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 01:30:19 pm »

Screens or you're lying.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 02:48:32 pm »

If that was the case, then magma pistons wouldn't work. And we know that they do.

Upload a save or no one will believe you.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 10:23:31 pm »

this is the first time I've seen one of these pig-tail threads, although i'd often suspected they exist.

to the OP, no one hates you or thinks you suck for making this up, we'd just like you to know that you would be happier with yourself had you titled this thread; "I've got an idea to drop the surface of my world by 50 lvls."
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 10:04:04 am »

to the OP, no one hates you or thinks you suck for making this up, we'd just like you to know that you would be happier with yourself had you titled this thread; "I've got an idea to drop the surface of my world by 50 lvls."

Speak for yourself Poindexter.    >:(

Granted, I hate everybody.  Misanthropy is easy mode to being unsocialable!  ;D
Pages: [1] 2