Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragons, eggs and lairs  (Read 1513 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Dragons, eggs and lairs
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:48:34 pm »

So I was playing adventure mode and trying to find my way to my old fortress to explore when I stumbled upon a lair. I wandered inside and noticed large amounts of loot on the ground. I wandered in a little further and found two dragon eggs with a female dragon not far off.

I was wondering what I can do with these eggs in adventure mode, if anything. I was also wondering if I played the world in fortress mode and left the eggs alone, would they and their mother still be there? If they are, would it be possible for me to breed dragons if I happen to come across a male dragon somehow?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Dragons, eggs and lairs
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:51:47 pm »

I was wondering what I can do with these eggs in adventure mode, if anything.

Nothing.  You can't hatch them, or eat them, or even throw them and have them splatter when they hit a target.

I was also wondering if I played the world in fortress mode and left the eggs alone, would they and their mother still be there?

Yep.  I've done this during an unsuccessful attempt to make a roc farm, scouted the location out in adventure mode, then embarked in the same spot.

If they are, would it be possible for me to breed dragons if I happen to come across a male dragon somehow?

Dragons won't breed without modding.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:05:42 pm »

Well, that sort of sucks. Was hoping to sell these eggs on the black market or make a war dragon fighting force.

I managed to kill the dragon really easily. I threw some stones at it and bruised some muscle before deciding to dive in with my scimitar. It breathed fire at me a few times, all of which I block. I stabbed it in the head and killed it while it was unconscious due to pain from the aforementioned bruisings. My only loss from the entire fight was a missing tooth which I retrieved after the fight.

Not long after this, I got a message about the dwarves naming a resident cavespider, which I received a message about discovered not long after finding the dragon. Is there any way to find this spider, or is it somewhere underground?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:07:17 pm by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.

"You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

rolk112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:15:20 am »

press  "u", it shows a list of all the visible entities   
This is DF.  The concept 'good idea' and the concept 'safe' do not belong together in the same sentence.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 02:16:58 pm »

Well, that sort of sucks.

That depends. If I remember things correctly, modding this is easy and doesn't require a regen. Just look at entries of creatures that procreate in the creature_*.txt files and I'm sure you'll figure out what you need to paste to or modify in your dragon's entry.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 03:44:53 pm »

BTW, do they breed normally during worldgen? I mean, if I mod them to have 100 times as many eggs, will there be dragons at every corner?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 05:14:10 pm »

You can test that pretty easily by applying the mod you propose, generating a pocket-sized world and then exporting the population data and shit. If increasing the number of eggs doesn't work then I recommend trying cluster_number.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:00:19 pm »

I thought about changing the raws to make them breed, but I decided against it due to the possibility of total draconic domination over the planet.

It'd be interesting to see what a dragon controlled world would look like though.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:07:57 pm »

I thought about changing the raws to make them breed, but I decided against it due to the possibility of total draconic domination over the planet.

It'd be interesting to see what a dragon controlled world would look like though.

Well, for one thing, a lot of burning grass. :)

Oh, and great pits carved out of the earth for lairs and such, and the dead bodies of the occasinal dragon due to some battle in world gen. If you count other big reptiles to a exent dragons, than the swamps would be home to nests of hydras that can make quick work of any dragonling ( or human, for that matter.) foolish to the point they wander into the nests. The most deadly areas would be evil areas, however, because dead dragons dont care about fire. Not that they did, anyway, but your adventurer will be unplesantly surprised when there sword is almost useless.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.