Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brook water>Well water?  (Read 2831 times)

Brook water>Well water?
« on: November 06, 2011, 02:10:14 pm »

so both me and my friend who plays DF have noticed that, sometimes, dwarves will run ALL the way to the brook/stream we have, and drink from there, even tho we both have wells, with clean pumped in water(my water is even pumped in from the brook that they decided to drink from instead). This creates huge wastes of time, and is quite frankly very annoying, especially when it kills off the dwarves that decided to wait until dehydration and then make the long walk. Both of our wells are active, and have an abundance of water contained in them, so what is making the dwarves decide to go walk all the way to the stream to get the water?
Caravan in depot = Broker is on break/sleeping/eating/drink.
Caravan leaves =  Broker has no job.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Brook water>Well water?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 03:36:48 pm »

Why are you forcing your dwarves to drink water? Brew more alcohol!

You might want to set "Zone-only drinking" in your Standing Orders; additionally, how many wells do you have?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 05:59:50 pm »

i only have 1 well, so maybe i should make a whole bunch more and theyll be able to draw more water from it faster. the reason im not making booze is there is NO soil on this map, and i cant seem to brake seige long enough to do anything productive that involves being outside to make pipes inside.
ill set zone only drinking, but will making more then one well increase the ammount of dwarves that can drink at once?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:18:53 pm »

the reason im not making booze is there is NO soil on this map
I'm pretty sure the only biomes without soil are Mountains (on which you cannot embark exclusively) and Glaciers (which aren't going to have brooks), so there has to be some soil on your map.
Besides, you don't need soil for farming - muddy stone is sufficient for growing subterranean plants.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 06:33:19 pm »

im on a volano, even the aboveground part of the map is part stone(id have to make 1x1 plots only to be rewarded with strawberry beer, which would make my dwarves feel unmanly and cause more anger then if they went booseless), and i know you can make muddied stone into farm plots, its just i have been seiged constantly with brakes between them not even large enough to cut more then a few tress, so attempting to pipe some water for inside irrigation would be very dangerous.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 06:41:25 pm »

ill set zone only drinking, but will making more then one well increase the ammount of dwarves that can drink at once?

Only one dwarf at a time can drink from a well.  To have more than one dwarf able to drink at a time, you need more than on well.  And if you have only one well available, and it's in use, thirsty dwarves won't patiently wait their turn.  They'll go for any other source of water, even if it's the brook outside.

its just i have been seiged constantly with brakes between them not even large enough to cut more then a few tress, so attempting to pipe some water for inside irrigation would be very dangerous.

This doesn't make sense.  You don't need wood to pipe water anywhere.  You need wood (or metal, or glass) to make a pump, but you should just be able to use gravity feed to drain water from the brook to irrigate some stone for a farm.  You will want to make a floodgate controlled by a lever to shut the water flow of, but you don't need anything but stone for that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 06:43:45 pm »

Or you could just use a bucket and a zone.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:17:20 pm »

I have found mountains that were embarkable, and had no soil. This was decidedly frustrating. Though not an insurmountable problem.

If you pump water out of the brook instead, you don't have to worry about a lever for the floodgate.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 07:29:01 pm »

i found an underground cavern with a good place to farm, so i have a few questions just to add that dont have to do with designating water, and instead of making a new post ill just add it here.
if i wall off an area in the cavern and farm there, will animals such as large olms, crundles, and other destructive cave animals spawn there if there are constantly dwarves nearby?
can i set up a burrow so that the farms can have their own rooms, dining area, and stockpile for food allowing them to stay downstairs the entire time and stay in the area to farm?

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 09:14:13 pm »

Cave creatures spawn at the edge of the map (just like above ground) so if you wall it off non-flying creatures will be unable to get in.  A few notes though:

1) There are quite a few flying cave creatures including some Forgotten Beasts.

2) Make sure there is no ramps or anything for a creature to walk down from above or up from below.

3) If there is water within your walled area things could swim in (happened to me with a cave croc in a cavern challenge map)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 10:09:42 pm »

Only one dwarf at a time can drink from a well.
My experience is that up to 8 dwarves can drink from a single well at once - one per tile. If the well is surrounded mostly by walls, then this obviously decreases significantly.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 10:21:20 pm »

Only one dwarf at a time can drink from a well.
My experience is that up to 8 dwarves can drink from a single well at once - one per tile. If the well is surrounded mostly by walls, then this obviously decreases significantly.
Really?  Are you sure they were drinking from the well, rather than the water it was over?  In my experiments with wells over salt water, they're consistently sticking to a single dwarf per well rule - if a well is in use, a thirsty dwarf will walk past it to use an unoccupied one further away.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 12:16:14 am »

The last test I remember doing was with a saltwater well, so drinking from the pool itself wouldn't have been possible - all 7 dwarves thirsty dwarves ran to the well, waited for a few moments (for the bucket to be filled), then all drank and walked away. Granted, this was back in 40d, so it's possible other stuff has changed in the meanwhile.

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 03:26:08 am »

My own personal tests are similar to Sphalerite's. Regardless of salinity, only one Dwarf was able to select the well at once, leading all others to wander across the map looking for alternate sources.