Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this normal for HFS? [Spoilers]  (Read 632 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Is this normal for HFS? [Spoilers]
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:59:51 pm »

Not sure what the protocol is on spoilers and HFS, so spoiler tags ahoy:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Is this normal for HFS? [Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:04:41 pm »

Sounds like you (un)luckily hit a spire. From what I know the clowns only go up one of the spires on your map (aka the one they tried to go up but hit adamantine) and you apparently didn't dig into that one.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 02:09:46 pm »

Yeah, that's what looks like happened.  It's kind of strange that they wouldn't try the spire I actually dug out though.  Looks like most of them were made of steam and ash though, so I might not have been in for as much Fun as I thought anyway.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 02:22:17 pm »

This happened the first few times I broke into HFS too. I thought they just *sunglasses* chilled in hell. Eventually I got unlucky and they decided to come up and taste fresh air, after tasting my dwarves of course.

Ever since that day, I've avoided candy completely. Not even worth the FPS drop to kill my fortressess either, In my opinion.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 02:34:33 pm »

That's another interesting thing.  I was expecting my FPS to drop to nothing after breaching the underworld, but that didn't seem to happen.  It went down a bit, but not much.  I'd give numbers, but I didn't have the display turned on.

I waited a while but they never seemed to gain any interest in the fort so I just force killed DF so I could savescum.  Maybe I'll try again and see what happens this time.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 02:36:31 pm »

This happened the first few times I broke into HFS too. I thought they just *sunglasses* chilled in hell. Eventually I got unlucky and they decided to come up and taste fresh air, after tasting my dwarves of course.

Ever since that day, I've avoided candy completely. Not even worth the FPS drop to kill my fortressess either, In my opinion.

If your machine can handle the FPS drop - a simple hatch cover can keep out the hordes of demons. I just make the only entrance to the spire area a 1x1 hatch cover above the stairs, and only assign armored legendary steel-pick miners (not activated, just geared up so they'll be able to hold off the demons while retreating back up the shaft) and peasant haulers to the task.

EDIT: and to the post telgin just did while I was writing mine - your FPS won't drop much if you cut off the mining area from the rest of your fort - if you have a straight shot from the spire to your fort to the surface, then you'll start hitting FPS death by demon pathfinding.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:39:01 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.