Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Start Low, Build High  (Read 1934 times)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Start Low, Build High
« on: November 06, 2011, 12:31:13 pm »

On a whim, I've started a new fort. Using the instructions in the More Dwarves at Embark thread, I've given myself 200 dwarves right from the get go. I've also genned a world with 2,500,000 embark points available (of which I believe I used less than 100,000).

I took with me a modicum of food and drink (30 times the normal amount, should run out about the same time it would otherwise), five copper picks, five copper axes, some anvils for later on - and 25,000 urists of Cobaltite. Needless to say, with roughly 19 wagons (that's 38 wagon haulers) and 200 dwarves, my FPS is pretty low to begin with.

As I slaughter the useless beasts of burden, accidents happen, and construction converts those loose bits of stone into static walls and furniture and the like, I suspect my FPS will rise. Hopefully, my other projects - completely deforesting the entire map, and stripping it bare of all plant life - will also help. You'd be surprised how fast 200 dwarves with Plant Gathering enabled can clear a map (Or maybe you wouldn't).

In the year 100, the cobaltite surface fortress of Scarredhammers was founded by the Cudgel of Loving, a large expeditionary force of the Hammers of Braiding. I wonder what tales shall arise from within its halls?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
Re: Start Low, Build High
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 12:57:43 pm »

idea- use this and do a fortress where yo dont mine out anything, just bring anything concieveable from embark or trade
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 02:26:15 pm »

idea- use this and do a fortress where yo dont mine out anything, just bring anything concieveable from embark or trade

I was planning to do this and just use wood as my primary resource, but then I started feeling like an elf and knew that every dwarf in my fortress would likely develop an unhealthy fascination for trees, so I gave up the idea.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 02:27:02 pm »

That was kind of the original idea, although I reserve the right to mine out some soil to plant farms - mostly because I've already done exactly that. =P I thought it was later in the year, so I thought my food stocks were running lower than they are.

It is now mid-summer, and I have a bit of a castle built. It's roughly 35x35, located in the lower left of the map, and is the first of four I intend to build of this size. The upper left one will require more materials, due to there being a 1-Z level dip that would cut the castle in half otherwise. Once ready, each castle should be capable of housing a fair number of dwarves - I'm debating finishing construction of each, then dumping all remaining supplies from this initial trip under an atom smasher before abandoning the place and reclaiming with a smaller force. Divvying 56 dwarves up into four separate forts and seeing which survives the longest might be cool, if a lot of micromanagement. Maybe I'll make a fifth fort in the center to serve as the administration.

Edit: New idea! Each of the four forts only trains in one kind of weapon, with the central administration being full of nobles. Each fort is built out of a material that is the same colour as lords of the appropriate weapon type - something purple for the nobles, Cobaltite for the Axe Lords, Microcline for the Swordmasters, Cinnabar for the Mace Lords (if only because I don't know of a material that's the same colour as Hammer Lords), and Orthoclase for the Spearmasters. The cobaltite site is already ready to go, so it's a simple matter of atom smashing the excess, then reembarking with the appropriate materials to construct the other forts. What say the people?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:44:05 pm by Keldane »
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 06:45:22 pm »

An olivine fort could be made for the marksdwarves.
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 07:10:21 pm »

Pitchblende for the nobles. It's purple AND radioactive!

Also, rose gold for the hammerlords.
くコ:彡

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 08:07:06 pm »

Hopefully they'll mutate
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 08:13:55 pm »

And a slate fort for wrestler elites that is made up of a stadium with a ring in the middle, be sure to put some unbuilt chairs around the place to use as misc. weapons.

On a related note, your plan is looking pretty cool.
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 12:58:54 pm »

Currently in the midst of a most amusing tantrum spiral brought about by a siege consisting of a single squad of crossbow goblins. I just kept recruiting more dwarves to throw at them (what do I care? I plan on abandoning and reclaiming anyway. :P) and now they seem to be in full retreat. The damage may be done, however. Just about every dwarf - and may I remind you, I had over 200 when this started - is now flashing a wonderful red down arrow. One even went berserk, only to be immediately swarmed by about a dozen simultaneously tantruming dwarves who put him down with conviction, and promptly toppled a couple wagons.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 01:01:48 pm »

Hopefully they'll mutate
Mutate, evolve, and gain gifts. Depending on your perspective.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 01:21:06 pm »

Urist McBaron is evolving!
Urist McBaron has evolved into Urist McCount!
Urist McCount learned EXTRA MANDATE!
A wild Player appeared!
Urist McCount used EXTRA MANDATE!
It's not very effective...
Player used MAGMA!
It's super effective!
Urist McCount has fainted!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 01:24:13 pm »

Urist McBaron is evolving!
Urist McBaron has evolved into Urist McCount!
Urist McCount learned EXTRA MANDATE!
A wild Player appeared!
Urist McCount used EXTRA MANDATE!
It's not very effective...
Player used MAGMA!
It's super effective!
Urist McCount has fainted!
We require additional magma.