Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World without Plump Helmets?  (Read 713 times)

Titus Wiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World without Plump Helmets?
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:55:01 am »

Well, I built my farm plot and set it for Plump Helmet. Then I realised I had no plump helmet spawn, or any plump helmets. Initially I assumed that I'd somehow stupidly removed them from the embark screen.

When the dwarven caravan arrived there was no plump helmet spawn, dwarven wine or plump helmets.

I tried to request some from my liason, but there was no plump helmet spawn listed under Seeds. Also, there was no dwarven wine under Drinks.

Does this mean there is no plump helmet at all?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World without Plump Helmets?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 09:10:25 am »

Did you try plant gathering in the caverns yet? Plump helmets are those purple shrubs.

EDIT: I had this same thing happen with both plump helmets and sweet pods in my current fort. Luckily, they both grew in the caverns!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:53:22 am »

Don't forget to also try in the Plant categories.  Good luck.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:00:37 am »

Well, I built my farm plot and set it for Plump Helmet. Then I realised I had no plump helmet spawn, or any plump helmets. Initially I assumed that I'd somehow stupidly removed them from the embark screen.

When the dwarven caravan arrived there was no plump helmet spawn, dwarven wine or plump helmets.

I tried to request some from my liason, but there was no plump helmet spawn listed under Seeds. Also, there was no dwarven wine under Drinks.

Does this mean there is no plump helmet at all?

It's just the dwarven civilization you chose which is deprived of plump helmets. You'll still be able to salvage some from the caverns.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:51:05 am »

Just live off of rock nut bush leaves for food and cave wheat for booze

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 01:05:15 pm »

It may look kind of elfy to your neighbors, but surface plants can make a mighty fine brew and tend to grow in all seasons.

Make a couple of surface plots (irrigation isn't necessary), a still, and a farmer's workshop, set someone to gather wild plants and two more to brew/r and process/r so you can get the seeds as quick as possible and be sure they'll grow in your biome, then assign the seeds you've gathered to your plots.

- Longland Grass can be milled into flour or brewed into Longland Beer.
- Rope Reeds can be processed into thread or brewed into River Spirits
- Wild Strawberries can be eaten raw or brewed into Strawberry Wine, and grow damn near everywhere. Likewise Fisher Berries (Fisher Berry Wine), Prickle Berries (Prickle Berry Wine), Rat Weed (Sewer Brew), Bloated Tubers (Tuber Beer), and Muck Roots (Swamp Whiskey).
- If in an evil biome, Sliver Barbs can be milled into dye or brewed into Gutter Cruor.
- If in a good biome, Sun Berries can be eaten raw or brewed into Sunshine.
- If in a savage biome, Whip Vines can be milled into flour or brewed into Whip Wine.

It is in fact possible to support a small-ish fort on surface gathering alone, but gardening is more reliable.