Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Scared to death and ice.  (Read 2544 times)

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scared to death and ice.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 07:12:36 am »

If the conditions could be reproduced (and the ghosts made to move), it could make for an interesting "creeping death" scenario. Ghosts show up, wander around, and leave bitterly cold areas in their wake, killing critters and crops. Eventually, if you don't pacify them, things could get enough out of control that the fortress simply becomes uninhabitable because of the cold.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 07:47:38 am »

Or they cause frost bite on wet dwarfs.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 08:57:27 am »

Well, in folklore ghosts are sometimes accompanied by cold wherever they go so that seems consistent, but who could have thought that Toady will put that in game.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 01:15:50 pm »

Maybe these ghosts have so much simulated anger that they're starting to feel it and affect the world. If so, then GG.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 03:33:16 pm »

Well, in folklore ghosts are sometimes accompanied by cold wherever they go so that seems consistent, but who could have thought that Toady will put that in game.

Toady thinks of everything!

8)
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 03:43:03 pm »

Well, he did account for dwarfs walking around with their guts hanging out...

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 03:51:03 pm »

Well, he did account for dwarfs walking around with their guts hanging out...
You can even see the little ~s dragging along behind them.

To test for ghost coldness, you could make a set of pools, then drown dwarves in them at various stages of happiness. If a dwarf's ghost appears (probably near its body), check if the water gets frozen. Maybe only very angry ghosts will do such a thing.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 04:00:01 pm »

I have 2 completely stationery ghosts, I'll post the results very soon.
P.S: I'll use DFliquids.

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 04:13:42 pm »

Tests on my "energetic" ghost: Temperature is normal, the same as the rest of the fort, 10015U.
Tests on the sadisc ghost : temperature is normal, at 10015U
My previous measurement was made right after the attack, and it was between 9936U and 9986U, the last one in the tile where the ghost is standing.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 04:20:55 pm »

That's odd... has the temperature of the frozen area changed? It could be that the ghosts only affect the temperature of the world around them when they attack someone. It would make sense too, because if they were running around changing the temperature of everything as they go it would slaughter your FPS.

What tool are you using to measure the temperature, by the way?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 04:43:10 pm »

DFhack's probe

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 04:50:39 pm »

Another attack, this time paralization, no temp changes, but I took about 10 secs to measure.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:08:41 pm by peskyninja »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 05:17:45 pm »

It might be only scaring-to-death that causes cold temperatures, then...
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

uwaiawu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 05:30:05 pm »

It might be only scaring-to-death that causes cold temperatures, then...

You can say that the ghost made him freeze in terror  8)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 05:46:55 pm »

*sigh*

Pages: 1 [2] 3