Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead and Missing Dwarfs  (Read 1991 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Dead and Missing Dwarfs
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:29:27 am »

11/04/2011  ...I split the unit screen into 4 categories (citizens, pets/livestock, others, dead/missing). I suppose there's more to do there, but it is a start. Next up the sheriff will have to get involved.

Maybe the bookie could help the sheriff with that.  Bookie could collect some info: 

Standard of living/coins amounts,
Wholeness of beards/happiness, 
Robustness of gems/engraved property value
Fullness of beer kegs/distance to food
Threat levels/megabeast news and warnings

Its important to have a safe burrow for young dwarfs minds to flourish and grow up in.  We gotta keep our children off the caves.  Last thing we want is 'cavewise' children, forming gangs and defiling our slabs with graffiti. 

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead and Missing Dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:43:23 am »

Wait... What?
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:09:35 am »

knutor, don't get me wrong, I give you credit for coming up with ideas, but just say what you need to. Sure, you can write those "stories" I guess I would call them, but then under it, write a direct suggestion.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 12:50:37 pm »

Toads talked about splicing the unit list in latest blog entry.  And mentioned when stuff goes missing that the Sheriff would get called upon to investigate the scene.  I am getting the impression he's turning the Sheriff/Captain of the Guard into a Witcher, Van Helsin, type role.  What impression did you get?

To further provide info, to the gamer, that splicing of the unit list into four, should also provide some sort of filtering out stuff, and maybe have that progress based on the bookies skillset, with an unexperienced bookeeper we should still see a long cumbersome list, like we currently have to scroll through to find something.  But with a skilled booking at his table, helping sort through things, our fortresses history could be better kept. 

Or for that matter, just add another noble, when scholar arrives, that does it.  *shrug*  Either way, those bulleted things in my OP are things I could find very beneficial to gameplay.  *shrug*  Sorry it was so obscure, some days I'm a french fry in a potato chip bag.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 02:13:29 pm »

Oh yeah, now I understand... Good idea, although the sheriff seems more like a detective-ish kinda guy to me...
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:27:45 pm »

Good idea, although the sheriff seems more like a detective-ish kinda guy to me...

Me too.  I am just concerned of Toads split.  I'd find it more beneficial if Toad clumped 'missing' and 'other' together and left 'dead' in their very own subcategory.  I want to see who is missing, but I could easily do without seeing the umpteen-bazillion dead, especially  on year 450, when the dead nearly total 200 bodies?  Know what I mean?  Filtering out just the dead on that unit list would make my game better to play.

If the dead are clumped with missing, I'm afraid of the tedium it would cause the players.  If the dead and the missing were put together, I would think that would fly directly in the face of the new undead and vampire changes which make things missing before they are dead, not at the same time, that they are dead. Make the missing part of the fauna, as it were, if you permit that analogy, its own baby.  The dead however, make content for for engravings. 

The dead are some thing I can do without seeing, and scrolling thru ea time I wish to find and manage my units.  That's all, with being able to filter out dead in the unit list, I'm sure the later stages of DF game play will improve for everyone.  Here is crossing my fingers that Toad reconsiders the 4 unit split up.

Sincerely,
Knutor

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 10:31:28 pm »

Wait.  Here let me put it easier to understand.  Here are the 4 unit split, Iw ould love to see.

Citizens/Missing
Livestock/Pet
Other
Dead

Hope that better explains what that longwinded post of mine, said, more clearly, anyway.

Thanks,
Knutor

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 08:05:50 pm »

okay, I understand it now.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 08:01:51 pm »

I second this.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 12:18:28 am »

*shameless bump*

Reason: Group MISSING with CIVILIANS, not the DEAD. Toady, Leave Dead to its very own category.  Because a LIVING community knows when someone vanishes.  They may not know immediately, but please don't make us all toggle on the bazillion deceased entries to see one missing civie.  I know many people including me, will be running with the dead filter on, to shorten that user list and better target dwarfs, in late game scenarios. 

It would be sad if we had to toggle it each time there was a bloodletting.  Thanks.

Sincerely,
Knutor