Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 133 z-level magma pumpstack  (Read 969 times)

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
133 z-level magma pumpstack
« on: November 05, 2011, 10:24:39 pm »

How out of the question is it to build one?
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: 133 z-level magma pumpstack
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 10:32:29 pm »

Do you have sand?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 10:34:16 pm »

Yes.
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:38:19 pm »

It's fairly easy to build even large pump stacks if you have sand. Just build one or more magma glass furnaces down by the magma sea, set up a sand collection zone, have a bunch of bags, and make pump components out of green glass. It's magma-safe, renewable, and easy to get.

Bonus points if you collapse a block of sand all the way down to next to where the furnaces, or at least where your final magmaworks, will be so they don't have to carry the sand bags so far.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 10:39:27 pm »

Cool, but what about FPS?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 10:42:57 pm »

How often are you going to need to use it? Is this for a foundry near the surface or for a doomsday device? If it's the former, you can just shut it off once the furnaces are all powered and problem solved.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 10:44:26 pm »

Foundry, and melting a river.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 11:22:47 pm »

A foundry requires only a limited amount of magma, so once its sources are filled, the FPS drop from the magma pump will quickly vanish once magma isn't flowing anymore.

Melting a river, though... That's somewhat trickier. The obvious way would be to melt the whole river, but that requires melting below the map edges, which requires map-edge fortifications, which means lost magma, so you'd continue to have flowing magma, which can cause a significant FPS drop. A better plan would be to take advantage of the fact that ice walls always thaw to 7-depth water. Thaw some ice, get some of the water underground where it won't freeze again, then let the remaining water freeze again, then repeat. Infinite water source, limited (but unfortunately still flowing) magma. However, since you only need the magma flowing when your cistern needs topping up, the FPS drop would be intermittent rather than constant.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 11:24:06 pm »

Alright then. Thanks for the information on how to melt rivers.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 07:01:41 am »

I remember a guy made a thread on how to reduce the FPS damage when using a pumpstack.

If my memory serves me .. the FPS drop comes when temperature is calculated.. and making pockets of magma along the pump stack would create an even temperature when the magma flows upwards and every square doesn't have to be recalculated as magma enters and exits it.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 09:57:04 am »

Is glass still magma safe?
I thought that was fixed?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 01:44:52 pm »

As the wiki says, currently non-built things of glass will be incinerated instantly in magma, however all built things such as statues or pumps, can survive in magma.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.