Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fun metal question  (Read 517 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
fun metal question
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:22:43 pm »

i found a large vain of spoiler metal going from !Fun! sea to cave level 3 should i mine it or will clowns come from the fidden fun stuff if i break the fun metal. and does a long vain of fun like this(going above fun sea to level 3 cave) always have a hole to hidden fun stuff in it. i have a fear of clowns )=
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: fun metal question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:10:19 pm »

The hole to the HFS is always 2x2, and it goes a random length up the vein (independent of the size of the vein - you could have a really tall vein that's completely solid or a short one with only one safe level). I'm 99.9% certain that the highest level of the vein is always safe, and for the levels below that, just don't mine out any that could be hiding a 2x2 hole.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:10:56 pm »

You should mine it! but carefully. No risk, no reward, and candy is the greatest reward.

It isn't certain that every candy tube will actually be hollow, and there's no way of knowing, short of cheating or actually digging it out, to know how high up the hollow part (if it exists) goes. It might be only a single z-level out of the depths, or it might go to 1 z-level below the top. Usually, though, they're hollow to somewhere above the semi-molten rock.

You might want to seek out various methods of easily defeating the circus if it should come to that. Alternatively, have a way to seal off that mineshaft easily that the clowns won't break through, like a caved-in ceiling or raised drawbridge.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 09:43:57 pm »

Make sure that the drawbridge is magma safe if you go that route however, else some of the warmer clowns might cause your drawbridge to have a bit of an accident when they stand to close to it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 10:45:42 pm »

my point is this in every time i dig a happy vain going from FUN SEA to cave level 3 i found that 3 out of 3 times i hit the  candy land and the circus comes out, so i what i want to know is if i ding a vain that long will it kill me

read color words and bold/inlarged txt to see the hidden message
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:48:32 pm by jaxler »

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 10:58:41 pm »

It will cause you problems if you're not careful and/or prepared enough. If you dig into a candy vein, there's a risk of breaching the circus, and if you're not prepared to deal with the circus, the circus will likely destroy your fort. If you don't dig into a candy vein, you don't get candy. So, if you want candy, prepare for the circus. Or, just survey the vein carefully to find where it is actually safe to dig and where it is risky, and don't dig in the risky spots. Urist Imiknorris described how; the hole, if present, is always 2x2, so if there's a 4x4 square of candy, don't dig any of those tiles.

Honestly, this isn't a yes-or-no question. It's contingent on too many things. Entering the depths is survivable; I've done it myself. Like most everything else in this game, you just have to have sufficient safeguards, and defeating it is not only doable, but easy.

Also, I don't believe there is a hidden message in that post  >:(
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 11:02:02 pm »

Yeah, basically there is no yes/no answer that we can give you. It's random every time, so every piece of metal that you extract from it is a gamble. The best way is to simply be prepared for what could happen if you get a losing roll in your gamble. Of course there are small things you can do that are guaranteed safe, such as only digging above a spot where the candy vein is extremely skinny, or only digging the top layer, but other than that it is simply a gamble that you will have to decide if you want to take.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 11:13:55 pm »

i broke hell. and i WON. i used a drawbridge and dispatched my epic clown killing bow team from beyond the lake. 2 of which were legendary from hunting exscertions. so we won my arches killed the flying ones and i then sent in my infintry to take the candy land. and now the funite is ours.

my computer is shit also i got killed by lag!!!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 11:18:03 pm »

Congratulations  :) Always an achievement to do that with soldiers instead of safer ways. It's more difficult, but quite a bit more fun.

Now enjoy the glories of your victory! Mine the remaining candy! Construct a monument to your victory in the depths themselves! Then, flood your fort with magma! (That last isn't really related to the victory, but is fun nonetheless)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 11:47:34 pm »

Congratulations  :) Always an achievement to do that with soldiers instead of safer ways. It's more difficult, but quite a bit more fun.

Now enjoy the glories of your victory! Mine the remaining candy! Construct a monument to your victory in the depths themselves! Then, flood your fort with magma! (That last isn't really related to the victory, but is fun nonetheless)

i abandoned due to lag