Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Desert Survival Challenge!  (Read 1260 times)

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Desert Survival Challenge!
« on: November 05, 2011, 05:59:09 pm »

I was really inspired by Kalasan doing something extremely similiar to this, but a bit more extreme. I am in a 3x3 hot desert with my only water being two small murky pools. I do not have any wood, axes, or pickaxes to use as tools. I have some llamas, two cats, two dogs two goats, a horse and a mule. I have no defenses, so I will have to survive the scorching days and starvation, struggling to find food. Did I mention that I'm using the Fortress Defense mod? Braving the merciless land with at most a few bone spears, let us begin!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:  I will start adding pictures too. Here is the first!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you can see, I decided against no buildings and no axes. I built one. I still have not penetrated the earth nor have I established any form of farm. YAY!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:35:32 pm by Zigzom24 »

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Desert Survival Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:11:47 pm »

Keep us posted, i've been curious about how embarks in harsh or evil biomes go (being new i have yet to try it), give us the play by play.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:13:21 pm »

Also if anyone knows of any other good stories about normal embarks (7 dwarves, items etc, not special challenges like the Urist saga) in terrifying biomes etc, please link them!

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 06:17:26 pm »

Hm.... I think what you are looking for is Boatmurdered.

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 06:49:49 pm »

So far I have killed a camel! I have all my stocks set up and I am rotating the three logs from my wagon to various workshops. I have one guy with a bone crossbow and a few bolts that I got from killing one of my llamas. I'm doing fantastically!

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 07:03:33 pm »

Moar screenshots!

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 07:36:01 pm »

Screenshots now in effect. This just in: I'm not dead yet!

Keeshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 11:19:57 pm »

I tried a no skill/no items game for the first time. I didn't use the training axe cheat for chopping wood either. I did very well(even tho I'm a n00b) I even got a miner and a lumberjack on my 2nd group of migrants before my first winter/caravan. I was pretty happy for myself...

I'm pretty sure I would DIE if I tried this tho, I've never done a desert map with full gear/skills let alone without any...

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 01:18:57 am »

My current fort and one previous that that have been desert/wasteland for 75-100% of the map.  I am not doing any "challenge" embark though and carry in tools and such (plus additional wood with the one.)  In both cases there are mixed biomes with one having (and the other not having) an aquifer - so I have water available once I dig a bit.

So far I like deserts.  Less wood has you thinking more about how you use it and what you can substitute for it in some constructions.  It also makes livestock handling different since grazing space is limited unless you take it underground.  Plus the wildlife mix is interesting - I'm seeing things like giant jaguars and camel herds.  And if you think rhesus monkeys can be annoying, wait for the buzzards and vultures to decide that it is time to raid your food stocks.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart