Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The most dangerous thing of all  (Read 1930 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: The most dangerous thing of all
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 02:07:10 pm »

>play df
>dont save
>windows is restarting
SHIT

^^^THIS^^^

I haven't had this happen while playing DF, but it's happened to me several times while playing Everquest.  And of course I died because I went link dead, and there isn't much in this world that can make me more angry than dying in Everquest and losing experience because I went link dead.

Otherwise, I've had DF crash a handful of times (running Windows 7), but running as an administrator fixed that.  Haven't seen it crash ever since I started doing that, but it has sputtered and chugged along worryingly at times that I thought it was going to crash, although it recovered.

Seasonal autosaves sounds like a great idea thoguh, I didn't even know this was possible.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: The most dangerous thing of all
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 02:14:44 pm »

I've had it crash a few times, but only one major incident very similar to the OP's.

I had been building an aboveground city out of marble blocks and decided to safe. Then I though "Why not build the bridge first". Of course, as soon as I exited the options page, bam. No save file for me.

Fortunately I had a seasonal autosave, so I didn't lose an awful lot.

Otherwise, I've had DF crash a handful of times (running Windows 7), but running as an administrator fixed that. 

Off topic: Run as admin always seemed like a pointless option to me. If you're on an administrators account, why doesn't it automatically run everything as admin?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 [2]