Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: With the new death system  (Read 2739 times)

geneisnotlame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
With the new death system
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:14:57 pm »

Will the odd miner falling down a volcano no longer result in revealing adamantine? is this something that's been considered?

What if the fall is witnessed by another?

That's usually how I find that good ol blue shit

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: With the new death system
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:17:23 pm »

I'm going to guess that the miner sees it before he goes splat and dies, so the other dwarves would telepathically know it's there anyway.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:21:22 pm »

I'm going to guess that the miner sees it before he goes splat and dies, so the other dwarves would telepathically know it's there anyway.
I dunno, things (read: dwarves) actually burn properly now, and will likely die horribly before they make it down far enough...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 02:35:48 pm »

It depends on how fast burning occurs. Unless the volcano is LONG, I have a feeling the dwarf will find adamantine before he burns a horrible, fiery death.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 02:55:43 pm »

Steel goggles are all that is required for the adventurous Dwarf that journeys to the center of the Earth. That way his eyeballs can still catch a glimpse of the HFS while his body vaporizes.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 02:58:39 pm »

You might add a steel helm to that so his brain remains intact long enough for them to register it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 03:10:13 pm »

Even better: mod in full bodied " exploration suits" that cover the entire body. Throw them down there. If your lucky, they may live for quite a while.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 03:25:59 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't think equipment protects you from magma, all you'd get would be an empty suit in the magma.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

Its quite impressive that dwarves can actualy see through magma :P
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 04:30:51 pm »

Falling things aren't considered properly, so magma has no effect on the falling miner until he lands. Thus all that stuff is irrelevant for now.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 08:01:54 pm »

I was pretty surprised when I first learned creatures fell through magma...molten rock is extremely dense, it's pretty hard to push down through unless you really try at it.  Magma is more fluid, but still.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 08:02:30 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't think equipment protects you from magma, all you'd get would be an empty suit in the magma.

I think someone found out that netherwood armor would allow a dwarf to actually SWIM in magma.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 12:05:25 pm »

I think someone found out that netherwood armor would allow a dwarf to actually SWIM in magma.

It would if nethercap equipment affects the temperature of the wearer, but I am unsure if does or not.

TantrumTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 01:41:56 pm »

It would if nethercap equipment affects the temperature of the wearer, but I am unsure if does or not.
If it affected the wearers temperature, then shouldn't anyone covered in nethercap freeze to death? It would be like wearing a block of unmeltable ice.
Somewhere along the way this innocent thread about cheese went horribly, horribly wrong.
I'd say it's par for the course. Did you see that crundle thread? That one started out wrong.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 04:18:47 pm »

According to wiki nethercap items are destroyed when dumped in magma despite the low fixed temp, so they probably would not protect a dwarf.

Also according to wiki they won't freeze water when dumped into it, which foils my nethercap powered freeze trap idea.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: [1] 2