Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Voidsoul, the Itemless Waterless Fortress.  (Read 8007 times)

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Voidsoul, the Itemless Waterless Fortress.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 12:09:11 pm »

oh man, this is fantastic.

*watches*
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 12:10:49 pm »

Posting to watch.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 12:30:29 pm »

I'll make sure to keep an eye on this as it unfolds. Kudos to you for trying it.

By the way, would you mind making a short guide to this on the DF Wiki? I'm sure there are others who would like to try this, and a few tips and tricks on the way from an experienced player would be appreciated.

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
50% more bone, 50% less eyerape
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 12:34:21 pm »

Things are going along pretty smoothly. The biggest thing slowing me down is the one-stack-refuse-clutters-workshops bug. Yet RNG has smiled on me. Immigrants have arrived, one of them being a skilled bone carver. We will need everyone when the caravan comes, preferably as armored as possible. I have only one option open to me - bone armor. My avatar dwarf is the only one equipped and in the military right now. As soon as I get more bolts and the rest of the armor crafted, I'm going hunting. So apparently leggings and greaves need a third stack of bone, not just three bones. I can live with that, but immigrants' pets won't.

Also, I messed with the color scheme files and toned down the LRED to something less eyeraping, and reduced RED as well to still be able to tell them apart. We're into summer now. During late autumn is when we need to be prepared.

I like this image so much. I don't mean the text so much as the mental image.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll make sure to keep an eye on this as it unfolds. Kudos to you for trying it.

By the way, would you mind making a short guide to this on the DF Wiki? I'm sure there are others who would like to try this, and a few tips and tricks on the way from an experienced player would be appreciated.

Sure, why not? It would probably go as a user page subpage. I'll do it in the style of other tutorials by specific people. Of course, this little experiment will give some key feedback. I can at least write the "with water, and trade depot" version. The "No water, no trade depot, FUN" version is going to be a lot more complete after I get to that point in late autumn. I did do a test run of it though, in an actual fortress with no trade depot. Like I said, several people lost the ability to walk. And if you're caught up with hilarious bugs, something else Fun happens.

I've got to do some housework, but then I'm getting right back to this. Maybe I'll go ahead and write a tutorial too.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:39:05 pm by Kalasen »
My Roguelike project, Adventurer, can be found at code.google.com/p/adventurerroguelike and its blog can be found at adventurerroguelike.blogspot.com

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 01:00:17 pm »

Won't taking down the caravan cause a loyalty cascade?

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 01:06:19 pm »

Won't taking down the caravan cause a loyalty cascade?

It's all part of the Fun. But yes. It happened in my test. After a while of fighting a macedwarf, my unskilled, unarmored recruit dwarves eventually turned on each other as well. From what I've read, the only way to stop the civil war is to get every dwarf killed but one, or to separate them. But really, I don't care what happens to them, as long as I get my pick and anvil from the caravan remains, and immigrants who are not enemies to the civilization come. Once I can get that peacefully working, I have won.

So yes. I intend to blitz the caravan with every bolt I can make, and then hit them with a wave of (hopefully bone-plated, bludgeon-wielding) dwarves who will wrestle and beat the caravan to death. If they kill the caravan before turning on each other, and if I can then separate them, it will be a success.

In any case, it will be awesome and dwarven.
My Roguelike project, Adventurer, can be found at code.google.com/p/adventurerroguelike and its blog can be found at adventurerroguelike.blogspot.com

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 01:08:02 pm »

Should be very intriguing. I shall watch with great anticipation.

So, who bets he can make it past the first year?

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 01:46:50 pm »

Welp, I won. Game over. An immigrant showed up with an iron battleaxe. I get to cut the trees here, build a depot, trade peacefully, and go on with a successful fortress.

No. Screw you Id, and your axe, and your meaningful name. Drop it like it's hot. You feel that? That's the heat of the magma that I'm THINKING so hard to burn your axe in. Except I don't have any because we don't have a pick. But we will soon. You'll soon be fighting your nation and your friends to get your hands on that pick, so you don't have to live in the glare of the sun picking berries like an elf.

So anyway, it's mid-autumn, we've got a lot more armor and some crossbows, and we have 22 dwarves. We don't have enough bone to go around, but that's alright. We'll keep crafting until the caravan shows up. Then I save the game, and throw everything I have at the caravan. If RNG smiles on us, we'll take them down, and avoid taking down too many of each other. When more immigrants show up, it's a new beginning.

Whoops, keeping track of the prickle berries got away from me there. Well, it isn't dwarf fortress until someone dies horribly.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:56:36 pm by Kalasen »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 01:58:35 pm »

Don't caravans occasionally go insane after not getting to a depot? That could be an alternative to a loyalty cascade.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 02:15:33 pm »

Oh man. That did not work at ALL. A maceguard tore up a dozen of my dwarves before he went down. THAT is what triggers the cascade. My dwarves ripped each other up. When there were only four left they just... stopped. And stood still. Unresponsive. I'm scumming back to before the attack. I'm going to do what Oliolli suggested. The loyalty cascade is not working at all, because it trips as soon as one guard is dead. There's two, and the merchants themselves. If the merchants don't go insane eventually, maybe old Id with his axe is right -you can survive until an immigrant comes carrying what you need.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 06:07:09 pm »

1. Waterskins will allow your one barrel to be used by many dwarves at once. I'd be interested in seeing how a fortress handles that. I expect that once you get over the initial hump of one group of dwarves having 3 booze and the other having 0 booze, it'll work out fine.

2. It's possible to take the caravan's goods peacefully, though without a trade depot they're reluctant to walk further onto the map. This means that you're stuck with whatever's on the first pack animal unless it shifts over to allow the others to spawn, or unless it's carrying goods that allow you to create a depot. Just a note for any players who want to try this but not get stuck with a loyalty cascade.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 09:06:43 pm »

You should use a utility to change your dwarves to another (enemy) civilization to avoid the cascade. Any incoming migrants could be set that way as well. Anybody who uses utilities frequently know if that would work?

Bread

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Don't feed the badgers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 09:20:47 pm »

That desert world is great looking.

How can I get one of those?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: 50% more bone, 50% less eyerape
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 06:15:03 am »

Also, I messed with the color scheme files and toned down the LRED to something less eyeraping, and reduced RED as well to still be able to tell them apart. We're into summer now. During late autumn is when we need to be prepared.
How can I do it?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 06:31:07 am »

look in the dwarf fortress settings text files.
Pages: 1 [2] 3