Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Voidsoul, the Itemless Waterless Fortress.  (Read 8003 times)

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
Voidsoul, the Itemless Waterless Fortress.
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:20:55 am »

I have done a lot of !!science!! leading up to this. I am a challenge gamer. And I thought, "What is the hardest embark possible without any stupid rules post-embark?". Itemless embarks immediately jump to mind. Training axes chopping down trees is a silly bug, so no turning a log into an axe to chop more trees with. What most itemless embarks do is simple.

They tear up their wagon for 3 wood, never turning it into anything else, and eventually build a trade depot. In the meantime, they survive on animal meat and water. When the caravan arrives, they trade all their -mule bone earrings- for a pick and maybe an axe and anvil.

I want harder. So I'm embarking on a desert. "The Glacial Dune", which is ironically warm. No surface water at all. This means I'm going to have to turn one of my precious logs into a barrel, so I can turn gathered desert berries into booze so my dwarves don't all thirst to death. I will butcher the pack animals into meat and bones. I will cook up the meat. I will then make bone crossbows and bone arrows, to hunt down more animals to turn into more bolts.

When the caravan arrives, the Fun begins. They will have nowhere to go. I won't spoil it too much, but the fortress and group are going to be aptly named.

The fortress "Voidsoul" and the group "The Worshipper of Luck".

With that, have some pictures.

The embark location, a warm calm desert with scarce plant life. I would pick something more threatening, but I didn't see anything that had plantlife but no water. I tried several different spots before I found one with actual plants. Anyway, with the total lack of defense, giant desert scorpions running around would make it more random and savescumming more necessary. I'm mainly just wanting to prove a concept here. If anyone can suggest a good, horrifically hard embark with shrubs but no water, then I'm all for rebooting this on a harder embark.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Have some screencapped proof that I'm embarking with no skills and no items.

Strike the Earth! Eventually!

And here we go. We've just arrived.

Wish me luck. For !!SCIENCE!!

(Figured it out. Imageshack lies, downthemall doesn't about links.)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:28:38 am by Kalasen »
My Roguelike project, Adventurer, can be found at code.google.com/p/adventurerroguelike and its blog can be found at adventurerroguelike.blogspot.com

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
Re: Voidsoul, the Itemless Waterless Fortress.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:35:06 am »

May the force be with you  :D
Love Boat murder

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:36:56 am »

Holy sweet flying magma carp, when I first saw the last image I though it was magma!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 09:40:58 am »

Holy sweet flying magma carp, when I first saw the last image I though it was magma!

Yeah, that's a lot of red sand. If it's too blinding, I might temporarily replace the red sand tile with black or yellow sand. But hey, at least it will hide the bloodstains. :D I am currently gathering plants, and will update once I've got my booze/food up and running.
My Roguelike project, Adventurer, can be found at code.google.com/p/adventurerroguelike and its blog can be found at adventurerroguelike.blogspot.com

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 09:53:05 am »

But without a trade depot the merchants aren't going to give you any of their wares willingl... oh.

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
Booze and food for everyone! Hey, don't hog the keg.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 10:17:54 am »

I have dismantled the wagon, turned a log into a barrel, and am now shuffling workshops back and forth as the dwarves make everything they can. A camel has been butchered, some of the meat has been turned into prepared meals. We've got a keg of prickle berry wine. The dwarves were suicidal, wanting to pack the barrel with the meat or the very prickle berry we're trying to brew here. But with some designate-fu, I have got this worked out. Every time the barrel runs dry, we put back up the still, forbid-fu the barrel into being free at the split second the brew job is called for, and refill it. We've also got a farm set up, so our own stock of berries will be farmed in case the shrubs die out. I've got a bone carver making crossbows, and soon, arrows. Then we hunt down the camels roaming for target practice. They're going to need all they can get.

Let's just say that in a practice run in an old fort I was testing conditions in, all the untrained dwarves got their spines and hips snapped. Even if these are skilled and lucky enough with their crossbows, a final bit of Fun will test them.

Anyway, image of Voidsoul thriving as best it can.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 10:39:45 am »

Interesting challenge...
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 10:44:02 am »

oh my, watching this glorious project!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 11:13:01 am »

I can't wait to see how it turns out. I often play with no skills/items, but never without making training axes.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 11:18:15 am »

I don't understand how you can stand that red asci sand. It just hurts my eyes

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 11:24:56 am »

But hey, at least it will hide the bloodstains. :D
I...uh...what?  WHY would you want to hide bloodstains??  Those are marks of honor!  You should be proud of them!

Armok may turn his back on you for that.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 11:47:02 am »

This is just wonderful!

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 11:56:21 am »

I'm following this thread. May Armok have pity on your dwarves' souls. Scratch that, that would be boring.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 12:02:16 pm »

I don't understand how you can stand that red asci sand. It just hurts my eyes

This. Crap, man, adjust your color scheme! That's just painful.

But really... good luck. I think the presence of clay in many areas makes itemless embarks easier than it previously was nowadays too, since it provides for the possibility of infinite construction materials. In a dessert, though, that's going to be tough.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 12:07:07 pm »

Have fun with this! I'm actually pretty excited to see how this goes.

I'm thinking of doing a similar challenge and writing a story for it, but I don't think I could pull it off well. I would bring a pick and an anvil, no other points spent, no training axes used. The kicker is that I would never trade.
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.
Pages: [1] 2 3