Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does seizing a caravan's goods spark a siege?  (Read 782 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does seizing a caravan's goods spark a siege?
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:53:41 am »

Or do you have to have numerous slights against a civilization for them to declare war and start sending siege forces

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
Re: Does seizing a caravan's goods spark a siege?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:55:36 am »

Oh, it can. However, seizing their goods gives you so much useless crap. Why not just burn the caravan and take all the non flammables?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 01:13:16 am »

Mainly "no" because it's difficult to impossible to start a war.  Elves have a diplomat position that comes to you concerning war, but in the current vanilla this has been removed.  You can apparently mod it in and it works as intended, but I've not attempted it.  Humans are also supposed to wage war and send a diplomat to make peace, but I've never heard of this happening after 40d.  Could likely be modded it, no idea.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 01:25:47 am »

So what are the repercussions of my seizing a human caravan's goods?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 01:35:38 am »

Try it and find out!

I believe it's been said that humans are rather touchy and won't respond well to thievery (especially if they brought armed guards).
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 01:36:15 am »

So what are the repercussions of my seizing a human caravan's goods?

More guff to sit in the depot. More hauling jobs generated. More things-disallowed-for-trading till they've been decorated or otherwise modified. Possibly later caravans will bring less to the site.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Vindictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 02:00:07 am »

You actually seize goods?

I just drown the elves merchants I dislike... If the goods aren't seized, you can sell them to more agreeable merchants later at the price of a few memorial slabs.
Well, I now have an urge to end sentient life.

I think I'll go meditate for a bit.

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 10:10:29 am »

Humans are also supposed to wage war and send a diplomat to make peace, but I've never heard of this happening after 40d.  Could likely be modded it, no idea.
The humans decided to do some camping on my map after one of their caravans got eaten up by a FB that was freed accidentally made its way to the surface.

About 40 of the surfacedvellers sat around a campfire, singing hippie songs, in one pf the corners of my map for almost 3 seasons, before deciding to take a bath in my magma swimming pool.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 10:21:50 am »

Mainly "no" because it's difficult to impossible to start a war.  Elves have a diplomat position that comes to you concerning war, but in the current vanilla this has been removed.  You can apparently mod it in and it works as intended, but I've not attempted it.  Humans are also supposed to wage war and send a diplomat to make peace, but I've never heard of this happening after 40d.  Could likely be modded it, no idea.
In vanilla sometimes I received the human diplomat.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 02:32:58 pm »

In vanilla DF, the humans will send their Law-giver as a diplomat, but only once you've appointed a Baron. If you allow the law-giver to die, then the humans will go to war with you and a new law-giver will eventually propose a peace treaty.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.