Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any roleplayers?  (Read 1804 times)

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any roleplayers?
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:36:53 am »

I haven't RP'd much in the past couple years, but let's define it real quick: Roleplaying is assuming the role of somebody that you're not. So whatever game/theme you're in, you choose a role in that game/theme. This can range from anything from pen and paper games to IRC freeform to MMO roleplay etc. It requires a certain amount of creativity and a willingness to toss a little of your inhibitions aside.

I feel that generally, the crew here at B12 is more open to the idea of roleplaying than your average audience. Good example is the Paranoia/RPG thread - people here are totally willing to get into character to have some fun. In the nerdiest sense, we're talking "Hark! How art thou?"

So, I'm just wondering here... how many 'roleplayers' do we have here?

I used to roleplay in IRC a decade ago, then in the Star Wars: Galaxies MMO, and after that - fairly lightly in PnP games. I've even been attracted to games that are on the edge of roleplaying, like BF2:Project Reality and HL2:Resistance and Liberation. I just played a great game of Paranoia (thanks Warhammer) that reminded me of how freaking awesome roleplaying is, and inspired me to put some feelers out.

-- KDT
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:43:33 am by KatalDT »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Any roleplayers?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:47:27 am »

When I can find it, I like the immersion.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:48:03 am »

When I can find it, I like the immersion.

Where have you found it in the past then? I'd like this thread to be a sort of reference... for where to find it. :D

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:51:28 am »

Well, I've played some DnD in the past if that counts...

Everybody!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 12:51:48 am »

It's hard to get into it with how most games are designed now-a-days, but I was a dedicated Roleplayer back when Neverwinter Nights (The first one) was popular. In fact, my desire to roleplay well stomped out my shorthand, even when I wasn't roleplaying.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a D&D group willing to fiddle with the hours I have available, so I'm not sure how well I'd roleplay when I actually had to voice or act things out. Things just seem so much smoother in a digital setting...
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 12:52:22 am »

Primarily single player games, of all places, especially Mount and Blade and similar.  Open ended games allow for a lot of immersion if you allow it.  Mostly private, I'll admit.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 12:52:52 am »

Back when I played Runescape, I roleplayed with an active community. I was a foppish eccentric sort of chap, who was the son of a merchant family of Yanille.

I also roleplayed on GTA:SA:MP on a roleplay server as an Eastern European mechanic called Dostoevski. I left that after one too many hackers killing me with miniguns made my character bankrupt and put in jail from the hospital fees.

Never roleplayed anywhere else, though.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 12:55:03 am »

Forum games and roleplaying.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 01:06:27 am »

I forum roleplayed awhile ago. Like, years.

Oblivion can get immersive and roleplay-ey when not in town. Even in town. Hurgh, I hope Skyrim is at least as effective.

And yes, even in Runescape you can roleplay. It's just more difficult when talking to your friends, especially if they were real life friends.
Everybody!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 02:16:06 am »

I roleplay in RTSes.  :-X

And Aurora, to an absurd degree. I RPed a bit back in Runescape as well, but I've long since sworn off MMORPGs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 02:17:50 am »

I've been roleplaying for two years, my first few times in WoW. And then I just went to different forums, Bay12 is for sure one of my favorite places to roleplay though. People here actual know what a mary sue character is.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 02:20:21 am »

And where it came from too!
Everybody!

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 08:22:16 am »

I'm an avid roleplayer, having played various roleplay intensive MU*s, and playing way too many tabletop RPGs online with friends.

I'm really interested in the aspect of roleplaying in an RTS, but I've never found one that concentrates on building to a sufficient degree where all of the content of the game is not combat.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 08:31:18 am »

GaiaOnline...
Was a big RPer... Those HUGE posts discribing alot of detail was common there and I wrote some pretty big ones too. The surprise youself at how fucking big it ended up being. Kinda drained me when I ended up becoming a Medusa when it came to RPs, they go stone dead sometimes or heck just filled with Autohitting, Dodge everything, you can't scratch me, "I AM A GREAT RPER!!!" Kinda players
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 08:42:58 am »

Certainly there are some, since just a bit down the page you will see a thread called "paranoia rpg" in which dozens of people are interested in playing a pen and paper role playing game, and do now, 2-3 times a week.
Pages: [1] 2