Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recommend me a Steam game  (Read 3062 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Recommend me a Steam game
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:56:29 pm »

So I am growing a little bored of Sims 3 pets.
While I am currently waiting for Skyrim.. I might as well try something else.

So as the title says, anyone recommend me a game on Steam.
I have enough money but I do not want it to cost too much.
Also, it is probably best if the download size is at 500 megs or less. (Internet here in Greenland is expensive.)

I do like strategy, simulation (of the management kind, not any vehicle ones.) and RPGs (to a certain extent.).
Adventure sounds fun too, if they are anything like the good old Lucas Arts variety.

So.. what are the good ones on there?
What are the pros and cons?
What's the price and download size?

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me a Steam game
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:00:44 am »

If you have okay internet... TF2. It's free. But a larger download. It's built on the Half Life 2 Engine (another good game to get :D), and runs very well. It's an FPS and absolutely awesome.

However's it's multiplayer exclusive and an FPS, so if you don't have good internet, I wouldn't go for it

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:00:51 am »

How about crazy fantasy shooters with innovative control schemes and hapless wizards in them? In that case, I can heartily recommend Magicka.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:02:34 am »

On the main steam page you can look to the right and there's two buttons. "games under $10" and "games under $5"

Binding of Isaaac maybe? That's in the current Humble Bundle right now and it should be under 500mb, and you should be able to activate it on Steam.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 12:03:58 am »

Caster is surprisingly fun.  Action/Arcade variety but rather entertaining.  Mount and Blade: Warband is also fairly amazing, the other two games of the franchise are good but Warband is the one that really shines.  I've personally been overly fond of SPAZ though it doesn't offer much in the way of tactics, it's much more shoot-em-up type arcade but it does it extremely well.  X3...  Well, X3.  No further argument needed.  Star Ruler is also pretty ballin' once you get used to it, I most compare it to SE:V but it offers a huge variety of tactics and ideas - I even strapped engines and shields on my homeworld and flew it to the enemy system to wreck their shit!

Those are the ones that caught my eye most from my personal game list.

NINJA: Magicka is a heavy multiplayer game, very fun with friends but rather like DnD.  Solo'ing it makes you feel sad...

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 12:04:30 am »

If you're feeling medieval, Mount & Blade is a smallish download (700MB?), mostly single player, so no internet issues, and has massive amounts of replayability for the value.  I'm told Warband is better to get for mods, although I've only played the first one.

KG

EDIT:  Ninja'd by Girlinhat.  *nods

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 12:06:59 am »

@restricted:
Nah, do not feel like dong FPS at the moment.. And the internet is not that good, tough i can play WoW just fine.. but I don't feel like playing that one right now. Thanks for the heads up tough.

@Sordid:
Got that one already, nice game but I do not feel like playing that one right now. Thanks anyway.

@Girlinhat:
huh? Caster?
*looks it up*
Looks a bit strange.. but might be fun.. I could try that one. Thanks.

@Girlinhat & kg333:
Yeah I got Warband, quite fun.. maybe I should get me one of these mods for it since I am a bit bored of native.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:08:30 am by Ultimuh »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 12:07:27 am »

NINJA: Magicka is a heavy multiplayer game, very fun with friends but rather like DnD.  Solo'ing it makes you feel sad...

Well I've clocked some 90 hours in it, most of it on my own. It was still fun.
Yeah, I live a sad, lonely life with no friends. Thanks for making me feel like shit.
Jerk.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 12:09:38 am »

Binding of Isaac. 5 bucks, can run on almost anything, 30 hours logged so far.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 12:11:27 am »

If you already have Warband then you should definitely check out the mods. Don't know how many you can get under 500mb though... maybe Diplomacy? It's basically Native but with some improvements.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 12:14:24 am »

So I bought caster and binding of isaac.
Thanks for the suggestions, I am probably not going to buy any more at the moment, but keep the recommendating.. stuff..
Who knows, I might be interested at some others at some other time.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 12:14:48 am »

Diplomacy is basically all scripts and dialogs and no new items (and therefore no new textures, which is what really inflates the filesize). It's only like four megabytes.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 02:34:29 am »

Binding of Isaac sure is one messed up game. Also.. what a terrible mother.  :P
Caster seem to be fun so far, my only gripe with it is that the character choices looks like kids.. still fun tough.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 02:44:28 am »

Well I've clocked some 90 hours in it, most of it on my own. It was still fun.
Yeah, I live a sad, lonely life with no friends. Thanks for making me feel like shit.
Jerk.
Just play it with your wife, this was the only game I could make her to play (well and Need for Speed :P).

Binding of Isaac is one morbit and quite atmospheric game. I really like the music and the monsters are fun :).
It also has an appeal of an old roguelike (rooms being like levels) and arcade (although not too hard).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 02:45:32 am »

No wife.
Yeah, rub it in, why don't you.
Pages: [1] 2