Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ways to use a caged giant desert scorpion?  (Read 1886 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ways to use a caged giant desert scorpion?
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:31:18 pm »

I just bought it from the elves. I can't train it as a war animal, so if i release it what will it do? Can i pasture it normally? Will it fight hostiles?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to use a caged giant desert scorpion?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 10:34:12 pm »

Unleash it into the faces of goblin invaders. As long as the cage is fairly close when it is released, it should fight them for you. And since you bought it from the elves it shouldn't cause you any problems with pasturing or caging. The only downside is that since it is a [PET_EXOTIC] it will be unable to breed IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Harry959

• Bay Watcher
  • Anti-Flanking Bomber Goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 10:41:47 pm »

Make an arena to stick it in so you can watch it fight to the death with naked goblin prisoners.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:49:02 pm »

Scorpions don't breed even if you remove their exoticism. They lack the [CHILD:] token, so they cannot give birth.

If you release it, it will probably attack any enemies it sees and might destroy certain buildings if they're made of wood. You can pasture it normally, though it doesn't need to eat.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:02:58 pm »

I would advise against throwing it into the face of a siege; it will easily be overwhelmed and killed long before it takes down more than one or two enemies. A better use would be to capture invaders alive, strip them naked, and pit them into an arena with the beast to see how they fare.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 11:06:12 pm »

... Desert Scorpion VS GCS.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 11:11:53 pm »

How do i release it? I bought it in a cage, so i don't see an option to open the cage like i would if i had built the cage.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 11:13:20 pm »

Either build the cage and release it, or assign it to a pasture or pit.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 11:15:59 pm »

I like the sound of training it to legendary stabbing against unarmed prisoners, personally.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 11:32:09 pm »

I ordered it to be pastured, but no one seems to be coming to let it out of the cage.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 11:35:00 pm »

I ordered it to be pastured, but no one seems to be coming to let it out of the cage.

b->j->x, then select the cage with a giant scorpion in it. After that cage has been built, q it then hit a and hit enter on the scorpion. That should release it.

And when I say hit, I mean smack your keyboard with a hammer.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 11:37:29 pm »

I can do that with cages i bought from merchants? (That's how i got the scorpion)

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 11:38:40 pm »

I can do that with cages i bought from merchants? (That's how i got the scorpion)

Yes. Or at least I think you can. And the wiki says you can, but I may have misread.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 11:41:49 pm »

From what I've seen you have to build the cage first, then you can pasture it and a dwarf will move it.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 11:53:13 pm »

I like the sound of training it to legendary stabbing against unarmed prisoners, personally.

It doesn't have the ability to learn. The whole arena part is fun though. It CAN hold items in its pincers, so if you let it attack anyone wearing clothing, it will probably switch to beating people with their pants.
Pages: [1] 2